beantwoord

40% discount for up to three fellow travelers with the Traject Vrij subscription

I read that I can get a discount for people travelling with me . How does it work ? How can they get this discount ?
Thank you
icon

Beste antwoord door PPP 29 juli 2014, 22:44

I'll try to make a step-by-step howto here. If there's a demand for it, I could make a more detailed one with pictures later. For now, I combine the graphics on the website Tochjo linked in his response with my own experience.

As Tochjo explained, you will need an OV-Chipcard for each of your fellow traveler (naturally, they can use their own if they have one, but disposable chipcards cannot be used for this).

Approach any NS-machine (tickets or "OV-Chipcard holders", doesn't matter). If the machine blabbers a welcome screen in Dutch, tap the union flag at the left bottom corner to switch it to English.

Hold the OV-Chipcard of the person traveling along with you in front of the OV-Chipcard reader on the right side of the machine, below the payment terminal (indicated with OV-Chipcard logo). The machine will read the card and will soon pop up some options.

Choose 'load other products', and from the sub menu choose 'Joint-journey discount (Samenreiskorting)'. In some occasions, also class needs to be specified (1st or 2nd class).

Repeat this step for EVERY time your friend travels along with you. So for your trip back, even on the same day, you will need to repeat these steps again.

Also, make sure you have enough credit on your OV-Chipcard before traveling. For traveling with discount (this includes travel-along discount) you must have at least €10 balance on your card.

Bekijk origineel

12 reacties

Badge +3
There's an explanation at this page. The page is in Dutch, though. A less detailed explanation in English can be found here.

Basically, the people travelling with you need to have their own (anonymous or personal) OV-chipcard, on which they load the Samenreiskorting product. When they check in and out after that, the reduced fare is deducted from their cards at check-out.
I'll try to make a step-by-step howto here. If there's a demand for it, I could make a more detailed one with pictures later. For now, I combine the graphics on the website Tochjo linked in his response with my own experience.

As Tochjo explained, you will need an OV-Chipcard for each of your fellow traveler (naturally, they can use their own if they have one, but disposable chipcards cannot be used for this).

Approach any NS-machine (tickets or "OV-Chipcard holders", doesn't matter). If the machine blabbers a welcome screen in Dutch, tap the union flag at the left bottom corner to switch it to English.

Hold the OV-Chipcard of the person traveling along with you in front of the OV-Chipcard reader on the right side of the machine, below the payment terminal (indicated with OV-Chipcard logo). The machine will read the card and will soon pop up some options.

Choose 'load other products', and from the sub menu choose 'Joint-journey discount (Samenreiskorting)'. In some occasions, also class needs to be specified (1st or 2nd class).

Repeat this step for EVERY time your friend travels along with you. So for your trip back, even on the same day, you will need to repeat these steps again.

Also, make sure you have enough credit on your OV-Chipcard before traveling. For traveling with discount (this includes travel-along discount) you must have at least €10 balance on your card.
Badge
Thank you PPP and Tochjo for giving the correct answer. I hope you have enough information. If you have more questions than I would like to read them.
Thank you PPP, the explanation is very clear. Just one las question: If the OV-Chipcard holder goes outside of this usual trip (not included then in his subscription), the fellow travelers can still get the discount ?
Yes, that is allowed.
Like Pe_pe said, it is indeed allowed. However, only when your Traject Free subscription entitles you to have discount, hence NOT Monday to Friday during peak hours. During off-peak hours and during the weekend, you can. So basically you can take friends along with 40% off whenever you would get 40% off outside your own route.
Badge +3
That is partially incorrect. On the one hand, Samenreiskorting is also valid in the afternoon peak hours, and also before 9.00 am in the months July and August and the last week of the year. The holder of a Traject Vrij subscription cannot travel with discount if he checks in at those times. On the other hand, if one has a Traject Vrij subscription, one can travel with discount by checking in before 6.35 am on workdays, and Samenreiskorting is not valid then (outside of July and August).
Really? So joint-journey discount has the same rules as the old VDU discount card? I thought it was just always the same as the subscription of the person you travel along with...
Badge +3
Yes, the discount hours for Samenreiskorting are unrelated to the discount hours of the subscription of the person one travels with. Indeed, this can lead to the situation that the holder of the subscription pays the full fare, while his companion gets a discount.
Thank you PPP and Tochjo for giving the correct answer. I hope you have enough information. If you have more questions than I would like to read them.

Does this also apply to Dal Voordeel? Ideally I would like to link my OV-chipcard to my wife's (she has the Dal Voordeel) so that when ever I travel with her (in the allowed times) I get the discount - is that possible?
No, you would have to put a joint-journey product on your own card each time you travel along with her.
And be glad, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use your card without her. ;)

Joint-journey discount applies to every NS subscription, including Dal Voordeel or even the student travel product.
OK - bedankt!

Reageer