Altijd voordeel maand is (bijna) geen voordeel

• 26 november 2015
  • 7 reacties
  • 159 Bekeken

I just recently bought an altijd voordeel abbonnement because I travel on the train before 6:30am in the morning and wanted to save a bit of money on the costs of my travel. The NS advertises that I will get 40% discount in the 'daluren' and 20% discount in peak travel times.

What I normally pay in the morning (without discount) is €6,70 (Dieren to Nijmegen Heyendaal) and €0.53 (Nijmegen to Nijmegen Heyendaal; so no instaptarief). In total this is €7,23. In the evenings in the opposite direction I pay €1,95 (Nijmegen H to Nijmegen) and €5,00 from Nijmegen to Dieren (total of €6,9). In total for the day this is €14,18. For the 22 days in November/December that I will travel this will be € 311,96.

With the altijd voordeel abonnement, I now pay €4,00 for Dieren to Nijmegen and €1,56 from Nijmegen to Nijmegen Heyendaal. So I pay nearly 3 times as much for the second rit because I have to pay the instaptarief again but still have a saving of €1,67. However, in the evenings I now pay €1,56 (still a discount) from Nijmegen Heyendaal to Nijmegen and €5,40 from Niijmegen to Dieren (now €0.40 more expensive for a total of €6.96) which is €0.01 more expensive than I pay without altijd voordeel card (so definitely not 'altijd voordeel')

So for 22 days with discount I pay €275, 44. Without discount I pay €311.96 and so my total discount is €36,52 per month (11.7%). When you take into account that I also pay €25 for the privilege of getting this discount, then my total discount is reduced to €11,52, the equivalent of a whopping big 3.7% discount for the month (so not even close to the 20% I should get if I was only to travel in the peak hour. Also don't forget, that for each day I don't travel (so if I'm sick or take a day off, or go in the car), then my discount goes down. Moreover, there is nothing in the conditions of the contract stating that the instap tarief has to be paid for each rit.I find this to be totally false advertising and I'm very concerned about the integrity of NS as a business. In the future, I will certainly not be travelling with the NS unless I have no other alternative or my work pays for it.

7 reacties

Badge +3
You are in the unfortunate situation that you have to travel with two companies, NS and Veolia Transport. Not only does this lead to more hassle during your journey, since you have to check out and in at Nijmegen, it also makes it more difficult to benefit from subscriptions.

In the final paragraph, you say that "there is nothing in the conditions of the contract stating that the instap tarief has to be paid for each rit". If you check in in the same tariff period both times, your two journeys are seen as one longer journey and the price is adjusted accordingly. Since your second check in in Nijmegen is in a different tariff period as your first check in, the second part of your journey is seen as a completely separate one. As you have noticed, this leads to higher prices.
You are in the unfortunate situation that you have to travel with two companies, NS and Veolia Transport. Not only does this lead to more hassle during your journey, since you have to check out and in at Nijmegen, it also makes it more difficult to benefit from subscriptions.

In the final paragraph, you say that "there is nothing in the conditions of the contract stating that the instap tarief has to be paid for each rit". If you check in in the same tariff period both times, your two journeys are seen as one longer journey and the price is adjusted accordingly. Since your second check in in Nijmegen is in a different tariff period as your first check in, the second part of your journey is seen as a completely separate one. As you have noticed, this leads to higher prices.

Yes, but in the evening, both sections of my travel are in the same tarief period and should be considered as one longer journey but I still have to pay the instap tarief twice!
Badge +3
The price of 5.40 euros you are charged for Nijmegen-Dieren indeed suggests that it is seen as a new journey. I believe this is incorrect and can't explain why this happens.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
Unless there was more than 35 minutes between checking out and checking in in Nijmegen.
The price of 5.40 euros you are charged for Nijmegen-Dieren indeed suggests that it is seen as a new journey. I believe this is incorrect and can't explain why this happens.

Actually, I do think you might be correct about the different tariff times. In the morning I always catch the first train at 06:00 but the first train to leave Nijmegen to Nijmegen Heyendaal is 07:08 so will always be in the peak hour tariff and yesterday, I did get the 40% discount on the Nijmegen Heyendaal to Nijmegen rit because I checked in about 1 minute before 4pm (I thought I checked in after 4pm) and the change-over in Nijmegen was after 4pm. This means I really get almost no benefit whatsover from the altjd voordeel maand. I really think this should be made clearer on the website. Why can't it just be simpler? Currently, everything is so user unfriendly!
Unless there was more than 35 minutes between checking out and checking in in Nijmegen.

Less than 5 minutes but I do now think that it was in a different tariff period which probably accounts for it and means that I will never get the full benefit from the altijd voordeel maand.
Badge +3
If you checked in before 4.05 pm in Nijmegen Heyendaal, then you should receive a 40 percent discount. The fare for Nijmegen Heyendaal - Nijmegen then becomes 1.17 euros and not the 1.56 euros you say you paid in your first post. Did you perhaps mention the wrong price there? Combined with the 5.40 euros for the second part of the journey when you check in during peak hours in Nijmegen this makes 6.57 euros, which is less than the full fare price.

Note that checking in during peak hours both in Nijmegen Heyendaal and Nijmegen actually costs less than combining peak and off-peak checking in in the afternoon.

Reageer