beantwoord

Cancelling my subscription from Abroad- Help needed

• 11 januari 2018
  • 18 reacties
  • 226 Bekeken

Hi,

I was a student on exchange in Year 2016 and I subscripted to the OV-chipkart. As I didn't know that it will be automatically renewed every year, I received an email last year stating an overdue payment reminder of 90 euros from NS. As such, they have also transferred to the debt collection agency, Syncasso. As I admit that it is partially my fault for not knowing that the subscription is automatically renewed, I made the payment to Syncasso.

After the payment was made, the NS staff acknowledged that the payment has made and proceeded to do a refund. A refund of 44.25 euros will be made to me and will take up to 8 weeks for them to process. I have given them the details of my bank account for the refund. However, this evening, I received an email from the NS staff that my payment of 90 euros wasn't made to Syncasso.

Please advise me on what to do as it is very difficult for me to communicate with both the Syncasso and I have already made the payment. I hope everything can be settled by now.

Thank you for your help!! I have left the Netherlands and couldn't make a direct visit to the office to settle on this matter.

Joe Ng
icon

Beste antwoord door Robert B 11 januari 2018, 21:43

Hi Joe,

This from an outsider (I'm not NS staff but close enough to know what I'm talking about).

If you had to pay € 90,- you most likely had a Dal Voordeel (40% off peak reduction) subscription which costs € 50,- and was automatically prolonged just like any other yearly subscription.

Syncasso added a (legal) € 40,- minimum collection fee to that amount, which explains the € 90,-

I didn't invent the concept (and don't laugh now) but you should have cancelled the subscription AND confirm that by presenting your card at a ticket machine to 'pick up order' so it would be erased/removed from your card.

The cards are stupid and your card thinks it still has the subscription on it (because you didn't cancel it correctly), so the card will act like like that when used to travel!

Sorry to hear your payment (apparently) didn't work in the first place. I have a feeling that you will be reimbursed but then again, I am not NS.

Good luck, and this forum IS the right place for ongoing discussions like this. You are definitely not the first exchange student stumbling upon this issue!
Bekijk origineel

18 reacties

Hi JoeWSNG,

Welcome to our NS Serviceforum 🙂 I can imagine that this is confusing for you. Please contact our customer service, so my colleague can take a look into the details of your contract and the payments. The best way to do this from abroad is by phone, social media or live chat.
Thank you for the reply. I have contacted them via email. Just hoping for a faster alternative communication media as it has been ongoing for 1 month.

Once again, thank you for the help!
Reputatie 7
Badge
Thank you for the reply. I have contacted them via email. Just hoping for a faster alternative communication media as it has been ongoing for 1 month. !
email answer will take 1 month again... Try chat, twitter or fakebook
E-mail will probably take a while before you receive a response, JoeWSNG. We are behind in answering e-mails. Like klant_Jac said you can best contact us via Facebook, Twitter or Live Chat.
Thank you for the replies. I have contacted via Live Chat. However, they stated I did not make the payment. To which, I have sent a proof of payment that I made a month ago as a response to the email that was sent to me this evening.

Thank you.
Reputatie 7
Badge
Thank you for the replies. I have contacted via Live Chat. However, they stated I did not make the payment. To which, I have sent a proof of payment that I made a month ago as a response to the email that was sent to me this evening.

Thank you.

dear Joe
Try to get a proof of payment at destination (the bank account of NS in Utrecht). Your proof of payment is not enouph, because the money could lost in between the banks.
Dear Sir,

The money has already been deducted from my bank account. I have already transferred to the debt collection agency, Syncasso. I got a reply from them. I don't have a Dutch bank account.

I really wish this matter to be settled as possible as I already did the payment and everything that was told to me. Please really help me on this as I have been sending emails to Syncasso and NL for numerous times already. It is kinda depressing at my side that I have done everything that I could.

Thank you.
Reputatie 7
Badge
You do have an email or letter reply from Syncasso that the money is transferred to the bank account of NS?

Nobody accuses you. Even when you have done everything that you could do it is difficult to arrange things abroad?
Dear Sir,

After the payment was made to Syncasso, I received an email later on from Syncasso with the title
"Betreft: AFGELOST = OPGELOST".

1. As I couldn't understand Dutch, I went to google translate this and it was translated to be resolved.
2. Subsequently, emails were sent from NS stated that they have received information the payment was made to Syncasso as well and they further asked for the bank details of my local bank so as to transfer the refund that I mentioned in the previous post.
3. However, as I thought everything is settled finally, this evening I received another email stating that NS did not receive the payment. I was shocked as to why it happened.

All I want is this matter to be resolved and I'm pretty at a loss on what should I do next. I do not care for the refund anyway but as long as I'm clear of any payments, I will be so glad.
I just want to have a peace of mind with all these emails going on.

Thank you so much for listening on my plight and trying to help me here. I really appreciate any form of help given to me.
If I understand correctly you have send us a proof of your payment by e-mail, JoeWSNG? Because we are behind in answering e-mails it can take a couple of weeks for us to get back to you via e-mail. To solve this issue quicker you can best send us a message via Twitter or Facebook (we respond within one hour). Explain your situation, also send data like your name, date of birth and the address that the product was registered on and send a screenshot of your payment.
Dear Denice,

1. Yes. I have just sent a proof of the payment with regards to today email.
2. I did not remember my Dutch address as it was a year back.
3. I will send a message via Facebook.
4. I don't recall the product that I have registered on because it was a year back.
5. I will attach the screenshot of the payment as instructed.

Really appreciate any form of help that is given to me right now given that I do not want to delay any matter further.
You're welcome so far. My colleagues on Facebook will be able to help you solve this issue 🙂
Badge +3
Hi Joe,

This from an outsider (I'm not NS staff but close enough to know what I'm talking about).

If you had to pay € 90,- you most likely had a Dal Voordeel (40% off peak reduction) subscription which costs € 50,- and was automatically prolonged just like any other yearly subscription.

Syncasso added a (legal) € 40,- minimum collection fee to that amount, which explains the € 90,-

I didn't invent the concept (and don't laugh now) but you should have cancelled the subscription AND confirm that by presenting your card at a ticket machine to 'pick up order' so it would be erased/removed from your card.

The cards are stupid and your card thinks it still has the subscription on it (because you didn't cancel it correctly), so the card will act like like that when used to travel!

Sorry to hear your payment (apparently) didn't work in the first place. I have a feeling that you will be reimbursed but then again, I am not NS.

Good luck, and this forum IS the right place for ongoing discussions like this. You are definitely not the first exchange student stumbling upon this issue!
@Robert

The cards are now thinking on their own?! (The cards are stupid and yours thinks...). I hope not! It's a world gone mad 😛 😉
Badge +3
@Robert

The cards are now thinking on their own?! (The cards are stupid and yours thinks...). I hope not! It's a world gone mad 😛 ;)

Believe me or not Denice NS, or ask an expert to confirm what #metoo thinks is stupid (or a bad concept)!

The product is physically loaded on the card and (especially in bus/tram/metro) there is no way for the equipment to check (because they don't have a backend connection) to see if the subscription is active.

Really, you HAVE TO REMOVE it from the card first (ophalen bestelling bij een servicepunt dus supermarkt of andere automaat). :D

Remember the former ChipKnip on your bank card? Same thing.. load money ON THE CARD (from your bank balance) and pay everywhere without coins or bills or your PIN code.
Reputatie 7
Badge
When a card thinks, we need a brain wash :?

When i load the card, i will lose weight 🙂
Badge +3
Trump would say (and gesture) "it's true.." 😃
Hi Joe,

Hi,

The subscription has been cancelled by NS. I have checked and confirmed with the NS staff. However, the payment charge is still ongoing despite I have made the payment. I have contacted them via Facebook as well, hoping for a quick solution to this matter.

Thank you for this reassurance that it will be fine. I hope it turns out fine in the end.

Reageer