beantwoord

Complaint about NS staff and processes

• 1 april 2019
  • 25 reacties
  • 992 Bekeken

Unfortunately, there is a character limit in the complaint form which did not allow me to send the below.

Dear NS,

I hereby would like to describe my bad customer experience, and express my complaint.

I am subscribed to Dal Voordeel, since some years. For this there is a yearly subscription which is debited from my account. I never received a letter for this invoice before the transaction, therefore I was not aware that the charge would occur in January from my bank account. I therefore did not recognize the cost.

During the months of February and March, during which most of the time I was away travelling, I received one letter mid February, for the non-paid invoice. I did make the payment in the beginning of March, as soon as I saw the letter. Unfortunately I used the wrong IBAN and the payment did not go through. This I realized on the 25th of March after talking to NS support, after which I made the transaction again.

In the meantime I received a mail from Syncasso with the fine. I gave them a call as your colleague suggested, and they mentioned that NS has to tell them that the payment was complete. This did’t happen, and I had to call NS support once more. The employee then found the payment and sent the note to Syncasso, insisting that I would still have to pay the 40 euros fine!

I am objecting to this fine, as I was not informed by letter in advance for this, but only one weeks after the payment was due. I was accused by your employees that I should have read my email. I would urge you to do some research on the email open rates. My inbox is exploding and NS mail also ended up in my spam. It is not my responsibility to guess that I am expected to make a payment, but I do expect that NS would have sent a letter, not email, weeks before the due date.

My complaint was mocked and disregarded by your colleagues who I talked to on the phone, and did not offer me any support or advise how my complaint can be heard and taken into account. I was explicitely told that, they will file my complaint and nothing would happen (!). I hope this is not the treatment that your company wishes to give to customers.

On top of the invoice miscommunication and the fine, my bad experience continues. Your colleague informed me that I would receive the refund for the remaining months of my subscription, as it has been cancelled. Without any warning!

Even worse, he informed me that if I wanted to have the subscription again, I would have to order a new OV chipcard as mine has been blocked and cannot be unblocked. This process is unreasonable and is not justified for paid invoices. I now also have to buy a new OV chipkard, which apart from the additional cost will require a lot of time to setup in new different accounts and products. As you are aware, an OV chipcard is not limited for NS use only!

Therefore I would like to ask for the unblocking of my OV card and most importantly a review of your processes, as for such scenarios they are very hostile towards your clients. I felt I was and am still treated like a criminal.

I am obliged to report my complaint and experience to ACM & ECC Nederland, Geschillencommissie, Consumentenbond , NS community, Social Media and any other platform that will help being heard. It’s unfortunate that the feeling I got from your employees’ comments was that I would be ignored by NS.

However I am hoping for your reaction to solve this manner efficiently. I would appreciate a non-generic response.

Regards
icon

Beste antwoord door Emma NS 30 april 2019, 20:29

Eventually I told miss E.A.M. that we can't undo the fact that her OV-chipcard is blocked for new products. Therefore she needs to buy a new OV-chipcard and when you order a season ticket on our website, you get the OV-chipcard for free.

Hereby I close this topic. If there are any questions about this, we'll read that in the comments.
Bekijk origineel

25 reacties

Hi E.A.M, and welcome to our Community!

It's really unfortunate to read you had such a bad experience with our customer service. I'm going to explain our process to you:

We collect the money every month around the day you ordered it. When we can't do that, you'll get an e-mail with the request to pay. In the first stage you get a week to pay. After that you get a letter, a giro collection form. Now you have another two weeks to pay for you season ticket. When we still didn't receive the money, we give you one last chance. Therefore we send you another e-mail with a request. So you had enough reminders and time to pay. It woud be easy for me to say we are wrong here, but we're not. It's your own responsibility to pay for your season ticket. I don't know if and how you check your finances, but I check everything every month. Maybe a little tip, write down what you need to pay every month, when it will be collected, so you know exactly when something is going wrong.

I can take a look in your personal information, to see for myself what happend here. That's no problem, I'd love to do that for you. You can send me a private message, click on my name and then press 'Stuur bericht' ('Send message').

Unblocking you card is not possible and your season ticket wont be activated again, we never do that. Again I'm very sorry that you're disappointed, but there is nothing I can change for you in this one.
Reputatie 3
I don't understand how you:
  • fail to 'recognize the cost' for a yearly subscription when NS tries to debit your bank account
  • fail to read your e-mail
  • fail to send the payment to the right bank account
  • fail to recognize any of your mistakes

Unblocking you card is not possible and your season ticket wont be activated again, we never do that.

Just out of my curiosity, even after the payment is done, the subscription is not delivered?
I don't understand how you:
  • fail to 'recognize the cost' for a yearly subscription when NS tries to debit your bank account
  • fail to read your e-mail
  • fail to send the payment to the right bank account
  • fail to recognize any of your mistakes

On my end I don't understand the aggressive attitude.

I did not fail to recognize mistakes nor did I write so. The goal of the message is to point out the very bad processes and treatment of NS clients in such scenarios.

And to note: not reading my email is not a mistake. As a company by default, NS shouldn't expect that users will read email communication. I've hundreds of mails floating my inbox, many of them also promotional NS.

Most importantly: I am always paying my invoices and always receive a letter.

And yes, people are allowed to make mistakes, it doesn't mean that they should be punished for them. It's a different thing to deliberately avoid paying. And I hope I am still allowed to be on holiday.

Hope you have better day tomorrow!

Unblocking you card is not possible and your season ticket wont be activated again, we never do that.Just out of my curiosity, even after the payment is done, the subscription is not delivered?

The subscription is not delivered, apparently it cannot be done as the OV card is blocked. I have not received a refund for the subscription, but on top, i need to pay 40 euros fine to Syncasso..

Unblocking you card is not possible and your season ticket wont be activated again, we never do that.Just out of my curiosity, even after the payment is done, the subscription is not delivered?

When a season ticket has been terminated because of a missing payment, the owner of the season ticket can order a new season ticket on a new card. The owner of the season ticket will probably have paid too much because he can't use a part of his season ticket and will receive a refund for this but only after he has made a payment.
E.A.M., you can send your information to Emma. She will have a look at it for you.
@Sivan NS I will, thank you.

@Jouke NS I have made the payment for two weeks almost now, and I have not received the refund. I decide not to change my OV card for this reason, as it is time consuming to setup and the new card with all accounts etc., as I have already experienced.
So in the end it's also a loss for NS as I will not be able to pay for the subscription and will probably use alternative means to get to my destination.
We had contact in private messages and we figured out that there was a payment delay. We're still talking about the possibility's when it comes to having a season ticket again!
Eventually I told miss E.A.M. that we can't undo the fact that her OV-chipcard is blocked for new products. Therefore she needs to buy a new OV-chipcard and when you order a season ticket on our website, you get the OV-chipcard for free.

Hereby I close this topic. If there are any questions about this, we'll read that in the comments.
I don't think that topic is closed yet!! The NS nightmare continues.

I will keep using my existing OV cards as I have connected several products and accounts on this one. It will be a very big hassle and I am already blocked by this for other companies. Moreover GVB cannot refund me in my OV card now cause NS has blocked it (!!)

I asked the reason why NS cannot unblock my card to Emma but she is not able to reply, hopefully she will soon.
I don't think that topic is closed yet!! The NS nightmare continues.

I will keep using my existing OV cards as I have connected several products and accounts on this one. It will be a very big hassle and I am already blocked by this for other companies. Moreover GVB cannot refund me in my OV card now cause NS has blocked it (!!)

I asked the reason why NS cannot unblock my card to Emma but she is not able to reply, hopefully she will soon.

I’m really sorry but the Netherlands is extremely bureaucratic when it comes to systems and procedures. In the end you will not be helped with your request, even theoretically its possible.

My advice: save yourself more frustration than already built up and follow their instructions.. it really is the easiest way to get out of this. In the end the people of customer support are here the help out and not to screw you over.

and another quick tip: read through the little letters when you purchase any subscription. It really helps you understand these systems and procedures. Also you can consider setting calendar reminders for payment/action deadlines. If you need help translating you can ask the NS community of course!
Unfortunately we can't unblock your OV-chipcard, this is a technical matter. The OV-chipcard is a product from OV-chipcard, not from us. Once blocked we can't go back.
Unfortunately we can't unblock your OV-chipcard, this is a technical matter. The OV-chipcard is a product from OV-chipcard, not from us. Once blocked we can't go back.

Then consider changing processes and be VERY careful when you decide to block chipcards. This should only happen in the case of abuse, fraud or theft!

How can you still refuse to take this example as a lesson learned. Your company's actions affect customers and you provide a terrible experience.

@bosschebol thank you, I suppose you also work for NS. No matter how bureaucratic Netherlands is (seems like a very funny excuse), things are always possible when given priority and importance. Also it is really not my position or problem to understand these systems.

I have decided not to use NS for my daily travels anymore due to this bad experience. Therefore I will not order a new subscription, hence ordering a new OV card will not be free. So how did the people of customer support help me?
My problem is the company, not the employees of course. But since they are the representatives, they receive the complaints.

Regarding the small letters, same goes for reading email. If you work in the industry you know that realistically, a really low percent of customers have the time and energy to do so (when subscribing for a legitimate service!).

To close the topic of the not paid invoice, I have been confirmed that the only letter I received was after the due date. None for the renewal of the subscription, neither a payment advice. According to my lawyer this is not legal.
Technically, someone not paying their subscription costs can be considered theft or fraud. You're using a product that gives you discounted or free travel, while not having paid for your product. Thus, we forcibly block further use of that product to stop that theft or fraud. Sure, it could be a mistake, but we don't know that. We cannot see a difference between situations that are an honest mistake, or where people intentionally commit fraud. Thus, every situation is handled the same way.

As for the reminders, we send a total of three reminders if we haven't received a certain payment. Two of those will be per e-mail, one of them will be a letter. Our process is perfectly legal. It is not our responsibility to make sure that our customers actually read their e-mails however. That's yours. If you know that you won't read your e-mail, you shouldn't give us an e-mail address as a method of contacting you.
Badge +3
I disagree with @Stijn NS. Not paying a subscription will never be considered to be theft or fraud when the amount is less than €25.000. It can lead to a civil court case but never a criminal court case. But after a certain time NS will refer their claims to a debt collecting agency.

However, according to the terms and conditions of the subscription NS has every right to block an OV-chipkaart when payments are still due. This is to protect NS against abuse of cards and running up more outstanding payments.
I didn't necessarily mean it in a legal sense, but simply as a different viewpoint. One would be using a product without having paid for it, which you could argue is stealing that product or using that product in a fraudulent manner. 🙂
Stijn, do you consider the way NS treats their customers at stations like Sloterijk as theft, fraud or deception?
@Stijn NS also quite aggressive for a non-fake NS member like @mweiss ! Maybe you can review your definitions before replying in such a rude way. I am not able to not give you an email address if I want to use your services.

I have heard the defenses more than once, no need for repetition 🙂 There is only one reason you all are over-protective but unable to receive feedback and admit that there are some improvements to be done.

Very sad to see that NS is revenue and not customer driven. Expected when there is no competition in most if your routes.

If by perfectly legal you mean using loopholes in the best way possible, sure. The only letter I received about this was past the due date of the payment, not even for the subscription renewal.

05.12.2018: Preliminary notice about the renewal of season ticket, sent by email.
24.01.2019: Confirmation of the renewal of your season ticket with a mention of the approximate debit date, sent by email
06.02.2019: First payment reminder, sent by email.
13.02.2019: Second payment reminder, sent by letter.
27.02.2019: Third and final payment reminder, sent by email.
07.03.2019: Notice your season ticket had been terminated because no payment was received, sent by letter.
Moderators, NS staff, this topic is not closed!!!

I now cannot get any refunds of GVB from uitcheckgemist due to your idiotic treatment of blocking.

Advise how can I proceed. This is ridiculous, refusing to unblock the card of a passenger for a case which was not even close to fraud, due to your limitations and no investment of time in structural solutions for scenarios like this.

CAN MY CARD ME UNBLOCKED PLEASE.

Shame on you, NS.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
There is no way to unblock a card. Make sure you pay on time and you will not run into such problems. NS is a transportation company not a free credit organisation.
Hi E.A.M.,

I'm sorry, but we aren't able to unblock your card. It sounds like we have a wrong email address of you in our system. Could you please check this with our customer service? We are 24/7 available for you: by telephone (030 751 51 55), on Facebook and Twitter.
Reputatie 7
As said in the topic before; no the card can and will not be unblocked. You have to order a new one. This is the only way.
@Iris NS @Slidestops - your replies are contradicting.

Can you please clarify what can be done? Shall I contact support? Such a messy company!!
Reputatie 7
Step 1: check if your details are correct (MijnNS or via customer service)
Step 2: Buy a new ov-chipcard

Reageer