beantwoord

Couldn't reach machine to pick up my order

• 7 oktober 2019
  • 8 reacties
  • 179 Bekeken

My bus was a bit delayed and I couldn't go to the machine for my OV card to start my new abonament which I ordered yesterday evening. I had to catch a train. And now it looks that I am traveling for standard fee? I bought an abonament so I can always travel for free for 345 euros.
icon

Beste antwoord door Maxime NS 7 oktober 2019, 09:13

Hello MARTYNA, welcome to the NS Community.

If you haven't activated your subscription yet, then you can't make use of it yet. After activating it you could ask our customer service if they're willing to reimburse you for the costs you made yesterday on the train when wanting to make the trip with your new subscription, since the contract started yesterday.
Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +3
As long as you don't copy your abonnement to your card at the ticket machine you pay of course full fare.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
You do need to activate your subscription on a ticket machine. Otherwise it will not work. With a new ov-chipcard with a new subscription, obtained from NS, there is no need for activation, but with a new subscription on an existing card you do need to activate once. In the case you don't, the card does not 'know' anything about your subscription. You will pay the standard fee if you do not activate.
Hello MARTYNA, welcome to the NS Community.

If you haven't activated your subscription yet, then you can't make use of it yet. After activating it you could ask our customer service if they're willing to reimburse you for the costs you made yesterday on the train when wanting to make the trip with your new subscription, since the contract started yesterday.

So the important questions is: why do we need to “pick up order” in the train station, for the card to “know” the subscription? Isn’t everything connected via internet nowadays?

The digital product (subscription) still has to be linked to the physical product (OV-chipcard) in some way. We can't do this digitally, which is why you have to collect orders at a ticket-machine. If it's too much of a bother I'd advise you to get NS Flex. You'll only have to collect NS Flex once, after which all the changes to NS Flex can be made digitally without you having to collect it.

Badge +3

Nowadays most machines are connected but the system itself is 15 years old so what is stored on the card itself is leading, and transport companies cannot look into other company’s systems (so they can only read the last transactions from your card).

Some buses still have (offline) check-in/out devices that are read at the end of the day.

You can also pick up orders at supermarkets, in buses (outside near the front door at the window, indicated by a pink square or rectangle “Haal hier uw reisproduct op”.

The offline approach is also much faster and more robust, so when there is no connection/coverage, you can still check in and out.

Thanks for the reply.

NS flex sounds like a way to solve this “not able to sync due to the hardware machine is too old” issue. I would definitely like to try.

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply.

NS flex sounds like a way to solve this “not able to sync due to the hardware machine is too old” issue. I would definitely like to try.

NS Flex is not completely free of hiccups but pretty matured and hassle-free now. If you stumble upon problems, they can easilty be fixed by contacting NS Customer Service.

Beware that Flex is known to (sometimes) interfere with other products such as regional bus/tram/metro subscriptions or student travel on the same card.

In that case, you can order Flex on a separate card (which is free for any NS subscription that costs €5/month or more).

Reageer