How to cancel your subscription from abroad | NS Community

How to cancel your subscription from abroad

• 2 September 2015
  • 262 reacties
  • 32570 Bekeken

*Last updated: October 5, 2021*

A regular cancellation of an NS subscription needs to be completed at a ticket machine. When you live abroad, an alternative option is available.

Cancel your OV-chipcard
1. Register here. This registration is in Dutch. Fill in a username, your mail address and a password.
2. Report your card as lost or stolen here. Do not ask for a replacement of the card.

Cancel your subscription
2-3 days after cancellation of the card, please contact NS Customer service via Social Media (Facebook/Twitter), Live Chat or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250). Our Customer Service will then be able to completely cancel NS Flex for you.

Keep in mind that if you received a reminder of payment, you do need to pay the subscription fee. After cancellation, a refund of the remaining months will be transferred.

Extra information
- Lost your card? Please contact OV-chipcard through this page.

262 reacties

What has happened to the standard / default way to end any legal contract? Just sending a registered (to have proof) letter and glue the card cut in two parts to the letter? That is old-fashioned and it costs some money to send a registered letter, but it should work without any additional hassels, or?

Why is noone even suggesting it as a fallback option?

After that you can order a replacement card at TLS, because the old one is broken. Your old subscriptions are pre-loaded on that OV-chipcard, so you can still continue to use your subscription. That's why sending the card to NS doesn't guarantee that you cannot use your subscription anymore.
Reputatie 1

After that you can order a replacement card at TLS, because the old one is broken. Your old subscriptions are pre-loaded on that OV-chipcard, so you can still continue to use your subscription. That's why sending the card to NS doesn't guarantee that you cannot use your subscription anymore.

Well, as far as I see it that would be up to NS to block or treat s a new contract. Sending a registered cancellation letter including the card should be a legally binding and valid cancellation of the contract(s).
That would have been a better solution, but unfortunately they forgot to implement such facility when they designed the OV-chipcard system.
Hi, I want to cancel my NS subscription (40% discounts on travel) as I left a Netherlands over 6 months ago. I've already blocked my Personal OV Card. Can anybody help me with that?
Hi Karolina,

Please contact our NS Customer Service via Twitter (@NS_online), Facebook or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250). You can also send me a private message with name, address en OV-chipcardnumber.
Hi, I want to cancel my NS subscription (40% discounts yearly) as I've already left Netherlands. I did as the instructions and I've already blocked my OV Chipcard. Can anybody help me terminate my subscription?
Hello a-ntsy,

Two days after cancelation of the card, please contact NS Customer Service per Twitter (NS_online) or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250) for the cancelation. I can help you with this cancelation but it will take a few days. You can also go to our Live Chat for the cancelation.
Hi there
To be able to cancel my Ov chipkaart, I need to change my email address. Is there any way which is faster than sending a contact form? calling not an option as well. I tried but we didn't understand each other pronunciation. It lead to mistaken in my email address.
You can also contact the ov-chipcompany via Twitter.
Hi,

I want to cancel my subscription and since i'm no longer stay in netherland i would like to ask how can i do it online. I have tried before by reporting it as lost card but apparently they need to send some activation code to link the card by post which not possible for me. Please help me how to get it done asap as the subscription fee has been charged continuously though i havent use it for years
@Nathany, I advice you to read the steps Sivan NS gave in the first comment of this topic. You don't need a Dutch address to have a account at OV-chipcard to block the card. After 5 days you can contact us to end the contract.
Hi, I recently moved to Portugal. Upon arrival my belongings were stolen and it was quite a hectic time.

I also lost my NS card and subscription details. I need to cancel my subscription.

I already reported my OV chipcard as stolen. I had a subscription of Vrij Reizen weekend, on it.

I have been agonizing for months over my stuff and finding a place to stay now that my finances are limited.

Can I make a payment arrangement over the last payments due of my subscription and please can it be

cancelled as soon as possible?

Thank you for responding!

Jeanet.

A regular cancelation of a NS subscription needs to be completed at a ticket machine. When you live abroad, an alternative option is available.

Cancel your OV-chipcard
1. Register here. This registration is in Dutch. Fill in a username, your mail address and a password.
2. Report your card as lost or stolen here. Do not ask for a replacement of the card.

If you do not wish to cancel the OV-chipcard, please make sure someone you know can complete the cancelation, by giving them your card. In that case you do not need to cancel the card. He or she can then end the subscription by calling NS Customer Service by phone (030-751 51 55).

Cancel your subscription
Two days after cancelation of the card, please contact NS Customer Service per Twitter (NS_online) or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250).

Keep in mind that if you received a reminder of payment, you do need to pay the subscription fee. After cancelation, a refund of the remaining months will be transferred.

Extra information
- Lost your card? Please contact OV-chipcard at @OVchipkaart or through this page
Dear Porto2016, i'm sorry to read that you're having some problems with this.
You can cancel the subscription via the contact information that is given in this topic. It is possible to do this via Twitter, Facebook or by phone. Concerning the payment, it is not possible to make an payment arrangement. Please inform about the payment when you speak to one of my colleagues.
Dear NS,

As of 19 September 2016 I have ended my abonnement with NS, with confirmation e-mail sent by NS on 11 September 2016. This is done because I have moved abroad and will not be coming back to the Netherlands. I have given NS also a friend's account number to RETURN EUR 4.10.

BUT on 19 October 2016, I received another e-mail saying that my dal vordeel abonnement will be renewed and EUR 50 will be TAKEN from my friend's bank account on 24 October 2016. On 24 October 2016, I contacted NS via chat to end my subscription (which I did not request). I received another confirmation from NS that the subscription has ended. My friend is closing her bank account and it is said that she had an outstanding payment to NS in November (which by then her account will be closed).

To sum up my problem:
1. My subscription is renewed without my permission.
2. I do not live in the netherlands anymore.
3. Subscription fee is taken later than promised making terugboeken not possible.

Please do something to cancel the bill. My referentienummer is 10204424.

Regards,

Mutia
Hi Mutia. I'm sorry to read this. In order to cancel your subscription permanently you have to confirm this with the ov-chipcard at a ticketmachine. Was this step taken?
Please cancel your ov-chipcard via the ov-chipcardcompany or Twitter. After that is done i can cancel your subscription.

You can report your card as lost or stolen. Do not apply for a new one.
Hi Klaas. Thanks for your response.

I lost my ov chipkaart and did not request for a replacement. I have reported the lost to ov chipkaart few weeks before cancelling my subscription. I have told the NS customer service as well and he told me that I did not need to do any further steps after calling NS.

This is such a nuisance. Could you please help me to cancel the bill?
I can't promise anything, but please click on my name and send me a private message with your personal details and if possible the ov-chipcardnumber. I will have a look at is later today.
The subscription is cancelled, but a credit of 50.00 EU is been transferred. So now a debet of 50.00 EU is in place. I explained everything in a private message.
Dear NS,

I studied in the netherlands from sept 2015 to febr 2015 and i had a Dal Vordeel discount on my personal ov chipkaart. In august i got an email that my subscription will continue from september again and the cost will be 50 euros. I sent an email to NS Service that i came back to my home country in February and i dont need this subscription anymore and you said that the only way, to cancel the subscription is to go to the netherlands and at a ns machine i cancel it, maybe one of my friend does this or i send my card to you.
unfortunatelly i lost the card so i cannot do these options.
i got a letter about a week ago that said i have to pay 50 euros because of the renewal subscription. After this i found this forum and i see now that i could write to you on this forum and you could have helped me...
Now i am disappointed that you did not informed me well, and it seems that i need to pay 50 euros.
Can anyone help me to cancel the subscription and solve the payment problem?
Badge
Dear undubundu, thanks for your question.

You can follow the steps Sivan NS gave in the first comment of this topic to terminate the subscription!
Dear NS,

In September I moved out from the Netherlands, and so I cancelled my OV subscription.
I received a form, I filled it in, I sent the old card back and you returned me the money that still was on on my account.

Unfortunately, few days ago I discovered that you still deduced 50,00€ from my bank account,
for my OV-chipkaart abonnement!!
(now I don't even have the card anymore)

How can I prevent your system from further deductions? And how can I get this money back?

Cheers,
Dino.

PS: I tried to call your klantenservice via skype, but it seems it does not read the dial pad of skype, so I could not access the desired services...
Good morning Dino,

I assume that you only ended your OV-chipcard itself. You can end you subscription via our customer service. From abroad the easiest way to contact us is via Twitter, Facebook or live chat.
Hello,

I am also facing the same issue as above. I have block my OV-Card and not asked for replacement and I have to cancel the subscription with the help of some moderator I am not able to reach the telephone number given above.

I request any moderator to help me at the earliest, thank you.
Dear S101, i'm sorry to read that.
Please send me a private message with your initials, full name, zipcode, housenumber, date of birth and OV-Chipcardnumber than i will check what i can do for you.You can send me a message when you click on my name and 'Stuur bericht'.
Dear NS administrator :

I have cancelled my card earlier this month (ref: 5034952797), everything is great and I have to say thank you for the support. However, it seems the cancellation effective date is later than the renewal date (3rd of Jan 2017, 20th of Dec 2016 respectively), this result in another payment reminder today (15-12-16; NS 20428198).

Should i worry about this new reminder message? or it will be ok after the cancellation date (3rd of Jan, 2017)?

Thanks for the notice

alex

Reageer