How to cancel your subscription from abroad | NS Community

How to cancel your subscription from abroad

• 2 September 2015
  • 262 reacties
  • 32570 Bekeken

*Last updated: October 5, 2021*

A regular cancellation of an NS subscription needs to be completed at a ticket machine. When you live abroad, an alternative option is available.

Cancel your OV-chipcard
1. Register here. This registration is in Dutch. Fill in a username, your mail address and a password.
2. Report your card as lost or stolen here. Do not ask for a replacement of the card.

Cancel your subscription
2-3 days after cancellation of the card, please contact NS Customer service via Social Media (Facebook/Twitter), Live Chat or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250). Our Customer Service will then be able to completely cancel NS Flex for you.

Keep in mind that if you received a reminder of payment, you do need to pay the subscription fee. After cancellation, a refund of the remaining months will be transferred.

Extra information
- Lost your card? Please contact OV-chipcard through this page.

262 reacties

Hi Chiel! Thank you for your swift response, I will communicate with you via Facebook

I'm sorry to hear this clarencium, but if you sign up for a contract it's important to know where you're signing up for.

My advice would be to contact us on Facebook or Twitter, both you and your friend. We can check how we can cancel the contract for you.
Good day,

I would like to cancel my subscription for Dal Voordeel , 2nd class. I don't want to cancel the card, because I might be coming to the Netherlands at the end of this year or early next year, as I am a PhD student in NL in the final year. I have been paying the subscription for the past 2 years without using it, and I just received another email reminding that the payment for renewal is due this week.

I don't have someone I can send the card to do the cancellation, so I would really like to do it online.
The information I got on the renewal email is: Relatienummer: 12219589 and Our reference:5045730506
Please let me know if you need more information.

Aline
Reputatie 7
I'm afraid that with all the information I am reading, it won't be possible to cancel your contract without also making your card unable to carry a new contract. The problem is that we can either end your contract without you having to pick up the cancellation at the cardmachine (blocking the card from carrying any other products from NS in the future) or we can send a cancellation to the card machine for you to pick up.

As of now, you cannot cancel your contract online, as in: pick up that cancellation. We need a communicationmoment with the card and our card machine.
You have two options now:
1. Pay for this year and see it through, so your will be able to use the contract again next year when you come back to the Netherlands. If you choose to do this, I am sure that our Facebook and Twitter department can think of a creative solution to make up for the previous two years you have paid for a contract you did not use. Contact them if you'd like and tell them I sent you there.
2. Let us cancel your contract without having to retrieve the cancellationorder at the cardmachine, and when you return to the Netherlands, file for a new OV-chipcard and order the contract on this new card.
I'm afraid that with all the information I am reading, it won't be possible to cancel your contract without also making your card unable to carry a new contract. The problem is that we can either end your contract without you having to pick up the cancellation at the cardmachine (blocking the card from carrying any other products from NS in the future) or we can send a cancellation to the card machine for you to pick up.
Thank you for the response Thomas. In this case I will go for option 2. Kindly advice on the next steps then.
Kind regards, Aline

As of now, you cannot cancel your contract online, as in: pick up that cancellation. We need a communicationmoment with the card and our card machine.
You have two options now:
1. Pay for this year and see it through, so your will be able to use the contract again next year when you come back to the Netherlands. If you choose to do this, I am sure that our Facebook and Twitter department can think of a creative solution to make up for the previous two years you have paid for a contract you did not use. Contact them if you'd like and tell them I sent you there.
2. Let us cancel your contract without having to retrieve the cancellationorder at the cardmachine, and when you return to the Netherlands, file for a new OV-chipcard and order the contract on this new card.
Ik heb vorig jaar mijn voordeelurenabonnement gecanceld, en er ook geld voor teruggestort gekregen. Nu krijg ik een mail van NS dat de betaling van mijn doorlopende abonnement binnenkort voldaan moet worden. Naar mijn weten heb ik helemaal geen abo meer. Wat moet ik doen? Ik heb al gebeld, maar daar neemt niemand op voordat mijn belkrediet op is (buitenland) en ik heb geen twitter.
Reputatie 7
Wat je eventueel kunt proberen, RemkoA, is de Live-chat, Die kun je hier bereiken.
Dear NS,

Like many other people, I want to terminate my OV-chip card because I don't live in Netherlands anymore.
I tried to cancel my card via OV-chipkaart home page but I cannot because my card was lost and I couldn't link the card in the system.
And I have also received an email from Syncasso to pay 90 Euro.
So please tell me how to cancel my ov-chipkaart.
And tell me I have to pay the money or not.
Reputatie 7
Hello Nixon and welcome to the NS Serviceforum.

Feel free to contact us on Facebook and Twitter, we'll have a look at your information and see if there is anything we can do for you regarding this contract.
Hi, I have cancelled the OV chipkaart by reporting stolen, as in the instruction. Is there anything else I need to do after that?
Yes, you should also follow the rest of the instructions. Because after you've cancelled the card you should also terminate the subscription. The instructions for doing that are:
"Two days after cancelation of the card, please contact NS Customer Service per Twitter (NS_online) or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250)."
Hello people, please help :((
I moved abroad half a year ago and do not wish to come back to the NL. Today I just received an email NS charges my account for 50e ( im sure I never signed up for a reneval, unless it does it automatically)
I dont have a dutch bank, so Icant cancel the subscription- I asked my friend to make the transfer for me, so it's him who's being charged which is even worse.
plesae help!
thank you for your time guys!!
Hi Medion,

Payment for our subscriptions and the subscriptions itself are indeed automatically renewed. You can follow the instructions in the OP (original post) to complete the cancellation:

Cancel your OV-chipcard
1. Register here. This registration is in Dutch. Fill in a username, your mail address and a password.
2. Report your card as lost or stolen here. Do not ask for a replacement of the card.

Cancel your subscription
Two days after cancelation of the card, please contact NS Customer Service per Twitter (NS_online), Facebook, chat or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250).

Keep in mind that if you received a reminder of payment, you do need to pay the subscription fee. After cancelation, a refund of the remaining months will be transferred.

Extra information
- Lost your card? Please contact OV-chipcard at @OVchipkaart or through this page
Hi, thanks for the reply!

i did follow the instruction in the first place, but as I said it asks you for the dutch IBAN at some point and I do not have a dutch bank account. If I asked my friend again for his IBAN and I blocked the card, Is there any chance to get the charged amount back? I'm very upset about the charge i hope there's a solution.
Thanks again for the quick reply
hold on, this is what the email says :
De incasso van € 50,00 zal omstreeks 12 oktober 2017 van rekeningnummer XXX ten name van XXX plaatsvinden.

Does that mean I will not be charged if I block the card now?

Thanks again for the quick reply[/quote]
If you can't follow steps 1 and 2, than I would advise you to contact the OV-chipkaart company. You can also use the IBAN of your friend of course.

If you completed these steps than you can contact us (NS) to look at your situation and help you. I wouldn't be able to tell you whether or not you can cancel before the payment. If you follow these steps, than we can give you the verdict when you contact us 🙂. Don't forget to sent us your initials, surname, date of birth, postal code, house number, emailaddress, OV-chipcard number and IBAN, when you contact us 😉.
Just to make sure, this dutch line says the charge will take place at 12 of october, so there's still a chance?

i managed to block the card, how can I contact you with my personal details?

thanks a lot, that's a big relief, im glad received this email on time.
It does translate in: the charge will take place at 12 of october. If it's possible to prevent payment has yet to be looked at. It depends on your situation which we can assess when we get your information in 2 days through the channel of your choice, mentioned a few times in the previous comments above.
I thought you meant calling on the phone is necessary only when I can't block my card. But it's alright, will do.
thanks
Al meer dan 4 jaar geleden abbonement opgezegd en jullie blijven maar geld afschrijven van mijn vrouws rekening en aanmaningen sturen en dreigen met incassobureaus. Gelieve jullie administratie beter bij te houden. Wordt een beetje vervelend.....:?
Relatienummer:
Ons kenmerk:
Welkom op het NS Serviceforum Johannes. Dit is niet het juiste topic voor jouw vraag, maar ik help graag verder zodat we dit hopelijk kunnen afsluiten. Wanneer je op mijn naam klikt kun je een privébericht versturen. Noteer daarin NAW-gegevens, geboortedatum en ov-chipkaartnummer. Alvast bedankt.

EDIT: Ik heb het abonnement beëindigd.
Reputatie 1
Just adding my 2cents of frustration here, since i now have to pay another month of a subscription i cancelled. This got to be the worst and obscure mechanism ever for a digital system. Why on earth can you not just cancel or even change the subscription when you go through the steps on NS.NL ? The part about having to physically go to a kiosk on a station to "confirm" a change such as this is just absurd. Come on NS, get with the program.
Reputatie 7
I understand your frustration with that system; plenty of topics have been dedicated to this topic as well. We are currently revising a lot of procedures that seemed unchangeable at first but with time have undergone major changes. Currently, f.e., we are looking for ways to accept credit card payments as a way of ordering a contract online. We are still in the middle of this process, but know that we do try to be as modern as society wants us to be. This does not come easy, as many parties are involved and the change has to be secure.

As for your problem: when you order a contract, you agree with the ways this contract was built in the terms and conditions. Canceling a contract is (for now) only possible by going to the card machine (or a balance machine) and accepting the cancellation there. If you cannot pick up the cancellation, you can contact our customer support to look into the work-around. I advise you to do the same, if the former applies to you.
Dear NS,

I have a question: I'm going to start to work in Amsterdam, and live in Rotterdam. I'm going to apply for an annual fixed route subscription, but that's the cheapest. But the contract is 7 months long, and i'm not sure if the company is going to renew, or i want to renew it. Is it possible to cancel the annual subscription after 7 months?

Thanks,

David
Hi David Schmidt,

If i understand you correctly you would like to apply for the Traject Vrij subscription. It is not possible to cancel this subscription in the first year of the contract. But, the Traject Vrij subscription is also available in a monthly subscription. In the case that your contract at work is only for 7 months this is probably a better option. Here you can find more information.
Hi Miriam,

Thank you for the fast response! I'm aware that a monthly subscription exists, but it's 80 euro more expensive per month, compared to the annual ticket it's 560 euro in 7 months!! I posted my question in this topic, because likely i wil move from the Netherlands after that 7 months. So if understood correctly, there is no way to cancel my yearly Traject Vrij subscription, even though it gives me no value if i change my location.. Well, that's not the most convenient, i must say.

Reageer