beantwoord

I want a refund for an unwanted renewal of my subscription

• 29 augustus 2014
  • 14 reacties
  • 671 Bekeken

My ov-chipkaart number is PRIVATE.

I contacted (somehow miracolously as you don't have a telephone number for people living outside the Netherlands and neither a proper email service as it doesn't allow to write more than very few words - please answer on this as well as I'm intentioned otherwise to ask to European consumer rights' center whether your practices are legal) your customer service to ask to stop the renewal of my korting abonement as I don't live in the Netherlands anymore.
I was explained that they could have stopped the renewal but I should have removed the product from my ov-chipkaart through a machine at any station in the Netherlands. As I don't live there anymore, your agent offered me the brilliant solution of sending the card to a friend of mine in the Netherlands (again, this cannot be a regular procedure and a legitimate demand for you, even if probably stated in your regulation - you should be more clear on that. Please answer on this too). The card was lost in the process. Therefore, following the advice of your agent, I reported the lost card on the ov-chipkaart website. All this should have been enough for canceling the renewal, according to your agent.
I then received an email from you but I understood that the email was an automatic reminder that didn't take into account that the abonement was in the process of being cancelled. So I ignored it, feeling sure enough out of the fact that I followed the procedure explained to me by your agent of the customer service.
The surprise came when the incasso bureau Groenwegen charged me with 90 EUR. They said you repeatedly tried to contact me at my telephone number but you failed (is there a part of the contract that says that I should keep my telephone on 24/7?). They obliged me to pay granting me that you were keen to refund me. Unfortunately they refused to explain me which is the procedure for requesting a refund (they said only to write to you through your snail mail address but this would have costed money that I'm not willing to spend as I followed your recommended procedure!).
I contacted (again miraculously) your customer service this morning and after 5.65 EUR spent, I got disconnected and I couldn't finalise my request.
With this, I requested a full refund of the 90 EUR.

Yours,

Marco Checchi
icon

Beste antwoord door Inge NS 29 augustus 2014, 19:51

Welcome to our Serviceforum Marco Checchi!

I understand you have met some problems with the termination of your discount card and the payment. For this, I would like you to provide me your personal data + ov-chipcard number in a private message. Perhaps we can see if we can terminate the product earlier and see what we can do about the payment.

P.s. I've changed the titel of your topic a bit.
Bekijk origineel

14 reacties

Reputatie 4
Badge
You can easily contact NS customer service from abroad by calling 0031 30 751 5250 or 0031 30 751 5155. You can also send an (short) e-mail using the chatbot Eva (only available in Dutch https://www.ns.nl/virtuele-assistent/virtuele-assistent/?hint=contactopnemen&delay=false).

After a response on this short e-mail you can then reply with a longer e-mail including attachments to the customer service via Nsc.eva@ns.nl.
Thanks Gert-Jan G.
I appreciate your help. I knew these numbers but those are not available on the NS website itself (as it should be). Likewise this email procedure - first you write a short email and then a longer one - is not clear from the website either (as it should be).
Anyway, I assume you don't work for NS and I really appreciate your help! I think as well that you'll agree with me that these procedures are not transparent and that's quite a shame.
Welcome to our Serviceforum Marco Checchi!

I understand you have met some problems with the termination of your discount card and the payment. For this, I would like you to provide me your personal data + ov-chipcard number in a private message. Perhaps we can see if we can terminate the product earlier and see what we can do about the payment.

P.s. I've changed the titel of your topic a bit.
Thanks Gert-Jan G.
I knew these numbers but those are not available on the NS website itself (as it should be).

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home/about
It's even given in both national and international format.
Hello,
I'm having a similar problem, and for some months now I have been facing what can be called a pretty stressful customer service situation. I've been receiving emails from Syncasso claiming that I owe 90 EUR for a membership that (i) I didn't ask for, although I understand now that this is included when getting the annual discount, and (ii) I didn't use since I left the country sin August last year, which can be checked by the fact that I DEREGISTERED from the municipality.
Anyway, I cancelled my card as lost or stolen and I was told by your chat service that this should suffice and that they would take care of the Syncasso issue. Maybe I misunderstood what they meant, but Syncasso has not stopped and now they dare to tell me that I may face prosecution?
I tried sending them emails and I guess they don't pay attention to the fact that I'm not in the NL anymore, besides I tried to call them only to find these terrible phone menus that get you absolutely nowhere as a foreigner, and they expect me to pay 90 euros not even being able to explain myself and my situation? Is there anyway NS can help me on this issue, I'm tired of receiving these emails and it's unfair because I didn't even use the card nor my subscription simply because I was not in the Netherlands anymore.
Help?
Hi nerfet, it sounds like something went wrong with the cancellation. Could you send me your postcode, housenumber, name, OVchipcard number and bank account number in a private message?
I've had contact with nerfet. Our financial department will fix this problem.
Hello,

I am having the same problem. I left the Netherlands in August 2013.

I can't figure out how to cancel my OV-chipkaart/remove the product from the card.

I have also been charged 90€. Can you please help?
@amplehills: Please, follow the instructions that are given in this topic. You can send one of the moderators a private message 5 business days after you completed the instructions. To send a private message, click on the username and then click on the blue button 'stuur bericht'.
Hi, I have a similar problem. I was in the netherlands for a semester as a student, and I have not been back in 3 years. Recently, I've been receiving emails from Syncasso telling me that I have to pay 90 euros. I have contacted NS to terminate the contract already. Please let me know what I should do about Syncasso. I do not wish to pay for a service that I was unaware of and have not used in 3 years.

Thank you.
Reputatie 7
Hello pinkedpanda and welcome to the NS Serviceforum.

It is difficult for me to judge the whole situation, but I will give a broad explanation for you.
When your contract is renewed, we will ask you to pay for your next contractyear. This will go automatically, but we will always contact you about this through the e-mailaddress we have registered of you in our system. If you move countries, or wish to end the contract anyway, you need to order us to end the contract. This will involve some action from our customerservice and from you, meaning you have to verify the cancelation at the cardmachine in the Netherlands.

Now you have ended the contract, but the extra costs from Syncasso still need to be paid, since we have not heard anything from you up until that point. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Hello and thank you for your response.

I do understand where you are coming from. However, I was unaware of the notifications for renewal as my email account is an inactive one, and I've only been aware of the situation recently when I was reorganising my emails in that account. And since then I have taken steps to terminate the card to avoid incurring extra charges. I was not aware of the terms and conditions at the time of applying for the card as well. I'm afraid to say that I was not fully informed of the circumstances when I was a student at that time.

Is there a way for NS to waive the extra fees in this case? I feel quite baffled by this entire situation that occurred without my knowledge.

Thank you very much.
Reputatie 7
I also understand your point of view, but technically you did agree to purchase an automatically renewing contract, as is described in your order. The e-mailaddress we had of you has not been updated by you, hence we didn't know it was unused. If you still please to get restitution of this money, I would strongly advise you to send us an e-mail using this form, explaining the situation, so our claims department can have a second look at your case.
Thank you for your help. Yes I just wanted NS to understand my situation as I was not full apprised of the situation then and only recently realised what had happened. I will follow up with the email.

Reageer