beantwoord

NS is auto deducting money from my account without my knowledge

Since Feb 2018 NS has been deducting 22 EUR (until Dec 2018) and 23 EUR (from Jan 2019) every month from my bank account till last month. As per my knowledge, none of the NS cards of mine or my family have subscription for that amount. I have not given authorization for another person for deducting money. Since last three years I have not been using the trains either. When contacting NS Customer Service I am not receiving any help. They are logging a complaint but there is no communication back on the outcome of that complaint. Around 1000 EUR in total has been deducted so far. I have managed to stop the direct debit authorization in my bank to prevent future debits. What options do I have to pursue this matter further, investigate why the direct debit was triggered in the first place and receive a refund? Please help.

icon

Beste antwoord door Erryt NS 3 juni 2021, 19:34

Hello Utkarsh Deniz, welcome at our community,

That's a shame. May I ask what my colleagues indicated where this amount came from? I can't imagine them just filing a complaint without providing information on where this amount came from.

Bekijk origineel

11 reacties

Hello Utkarsh Deniz, welcome at our community,

That's a shame. May I ask what my colleagues indicated where this amount came from? I can't imagine them just filing a complaint without providing information on where this amount came from.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

The amounts mentioned are that of an Altijd Voordeel subscription, in 2018 that was €22 and since januari 2019 €23. 

And perhaps it helps to check the info on the bank statement. There should be a description and that description is the reference for the invoice. When I had a Traject Vrij subscription it said on the bank statement “Omschrijving: Bestelling: 8827xxx” and this number was also on my monthly invoice as “Referentienr”.  So if the deductions are for a subscription there should be such a description and with that the customer service should be able to do some investigating.

Thanks Erryt for the prompt response. I tried chat & telephone channel. I keep getting incomplete and partial information. 

• When I contact via chat they mention that there are multiple cards linked to my bank account. I am aware of that and also aware that none of them have any subscription. All cards are with me and when I go to the NS machine and check there is no subscription. They were able to query via my IBAN number and provide me the above details. 
  • On Telephone they are saying for my address they only see two kids free subscription for my name (I am aware of these and the amount is 0.01). They are not able to query by my bank account and provide details on the number of cards linked to it or any other subscription on my bank account.

From my bank transaction I have the Bestelling / Betaling factuur numbers and also Payment Reference but they are not able to pull anything with it. :disappointed:

On the complaint front, I get feedback that we will raise the complaint for you but there will not be any communication or confirmation back to you. Nor will they able to tell me the outcome of the complaint even if I call them after few days / weeks. So not sure how the complaint helps or if anyone is even looking at it. Very frustrating & disappointing!

The amounts mentioned are that of an Altijd Voordeel subscription, in 2018 that was €22 and since januari 2019 €23. 

And perhaps it helps to check the info on the bank statement. There should be a description and that description is the reference for the invoice. When I had a Traject Vrij subscription it said on the bank statement “Omschrijving: Bestelling: 8827xxx” and this number was also on my monthly invoice as “Referentienr”.  So if the deductions are for a subscription there should be such a description and with that the customer service should be able to do some investigating.

Thanks Momo for responding...I also guess that it’s Altijd Voordeel subcription...But again I havent taken these subscription...verified using NS Portal and machine. I do see the “Omschrijving: Bestelling:” and “Referentienr” in my bank account. ...so I asked the Customer Service to investigate using these values...but apparently they cant because of privacy laws...so I am sort of stuck.

Badge +3

Keep persisting to have things investigated, or file a complaint by mail (letter). There have been cases here where the NS owed somebody a huge amount of money (I think it was 1000+ euros, too).

That's odd. I will figure this out for you. Would you like to send me a private message by clicking on my name and send message?

I'd like to receive your postal code, house number, initials, surname, date of birth, email address, IBAN and OV-chipcard numbers.

That's odd. I will figure this out for you. Would you like to send me a private message by clicking on my name and send message?

I'd like to receive your postal code, house number, initials, surname, date of birth, email address, IBAN and OV-chipcard numbers.

Thanks. I will send you a personal message.

With the help of Erryt NS we managed to investigate and find out that there is apparently a card (that I have no information of) whose subscription is being paid from my bank account. I am not sure how this is possible without me giving an authorization via IDEAL. Due to privacy rules, the name of the card holder or other details like if the card is in use (train journeys) cant be shared with me. So i have reached dead end with NS.

I am going to follow up with the bank and potentially police to pursue this further. 

Do you have any other advice for me?

Thanks for the summary and I wish you good luck in further ventures.

Badge +3

Aks your bank first, because they can look back much futher than NS (regarding the authorization for the auto-debit).

With the help of Erryt NS we managed to investigate and find out that there is apparently a card (that I have no information of) whose subscription is being paid from my bank account. I am not sure how this is possible without me giving an authorization via IDEAL. Due to privacy rules, the name of the card holder or other details like if the card is in use (train journeys) cant be shared with me. So i have reached dead end with NS.

If it can be established that this abonnement was not ordered by you and neither was any payment for this authorized then NS will have to refund the money finally.

1. I would recommend you to calculate the amount that NS owes you and send a written, registered letter to NS demanding the refund with full reasoning. This probably has the best chance to escalate to their legal team to get it processed.
  2. You don’t strictly have to, but if you go to the police and report this incident and include the report in the letter (1.) it might help as well. This subspcription has not ended up on your account just by chance or by an honest mistake most likely. It is possoble someone abused your identity and/or bank information.
  3. Obviously it would have been better to react already in 2018 by contacting client service back then and if that does not help reversing the bank charge. Then there would not have been such an amount to refund, that you will have to go after now.

Aks your bank first, because they can look back much futher than NS (regarding the authorization for the auto-debit).

And they can even reverse such charges for more than the standard period in cases of fraud. What complicates matters here is that NS principally has an authorization to withdraw money from his account. Just not for this abonnement / amount.

Reageer