Pause / Stop NS subscription | NS Community
beantwoord

Pause / Stop NS subscription

• 8 November 2021
  • 13 reacties
  • 2267 Bekeken

Hello,

I am going on a sabbatical leave for 5 months at the end of this month (Nov. 2021) and I would like to pause / stop my NS subscription temporarily during this time period. Can you guide me how to go about it? 

Another question - My wife’s subscription is based on my NS subscription (family addition), so if I stop my subscription during these 5 months, would her subscription be stopped too? 

icon

Beste antwoord door Sascha NS 8 November 2021, 10:09

Bekijk origineel

13 reacties

Good morning raj mehta.

You can cancel the subscription by contacting our Customer Support on Facebook, Twitter, Chat or by phone on 030-7515155. They can also switch the subscription to NS Flex Basic if you so please. That way it'll be easier to resub in the future.

If your wife has a discounted version of your subscription it'll keep running as is until the yearly term is over. From that point forward the discount will be removed and her subscription will become full price. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +1

It depends on what TYPE of subscription you hold now. Its either FLEX or not. But with FLEX there is no possibility to have family-discount anymore. You can see -as always- all details on what is registered via mijnNS.

However, as NS is now busy to change all old-style subscriptions into the FLEX model a stopping of this effectively means you switch over to FLEX. You can, in case you are certain to return to NL, change it yourself into FLEX-basic on any date you wish, any prepaid season-cost will be reimbursed as from that date. DO keep your dutch bank-account!!

Thank you for your replies. 

To clarify my understanding - My current subscription (Dal Vrij - old subscription model) can be changed to NS Flex basic (0 EUR/month) and in the mean time, my wife’s subscription will continue unaffected until her annual term is over (can’t find when this would be).

And 5 months later when I return to NL to resume my normal work activities, I change my subscription model to the one I want while my wife will automatically start paying the actual subscription price (non-discounted) once her current term is over? 

Out of curiosity,

1 - Why is the family discount removed? 

2 - What is the actual value addition with Flex model ? I see that I will still be paying the same price (for Dal Vrij) and travel in the same off-peak hours, so essentially nothing changes, except that I don’t have to load it with money and monthly bills will be settled. Am I missing any other features or advantages?

1 - Simply put, because there's no way to include such discounts in NS Flex subscriptions (yet)

2 - Apart from what you've already mentioned you'll also be able to switch between subscriptions once a month if you so please.

And the rest is correct!

Reputatie 1

What is the actual value addition with Flex model ? I see that I will still be paying the same price (for Dal Vrij) and travel in the same off-peak hours, so essentially nothing changes, except that I don’t have to load it with money and monthly bills will be settled. Am I missing any other features or advantages?

The main advantage is the flexibility. You have e.g. Dal Vrij from 5 september. On 6 october you realize that you will not be travelling by train for 2 weeks anyway. So you switch to Flex Basic and save 2 weeks  fee. Then when you need it again you switch it on to Dal Vrij. Then you are bound for 1 month to the Dal vrij Flex. After that you can switch it off again if you don’t need it immediately.

Depending on your travel pattern it saves you money. If you have regularly patterns of 2 weeks no travel you would e.g. save 1/3 of the yearly fee. If you travel every day you wont save anything - then choose Dal Vrij Abo (non flex).

Badge +3

Depending on your travel pattern it saves you money. If you have regularly patterns of 2 weeks no travel you would e.g. save 1/3 of the yearly fee. If you travel every day you wont save anything - then choose Dal Vrij Abo (non flex).

Dal Vrij is only available as Flex.

You have e.g. Dal Vrij from 5 september. On 6 october you realize that you will not be travelling by train for 2 weeks anyway. So you switch to Flex Basic and save 2 weeks  fee. Then when you need it again you switch it on to Dal Vrij. Then you are bound for 1 month to the Dal vrij Flex. After that you can switch it off again if you don’t need it immediately.

So, with Dal vrij (flex) and similar subscription model, I am tied up for at least a month from starting and then I can switch it instantly to flex basic or any other subscription depending on my use case.

Also, I am flying out of NL on 25th (early morning), so the best way would be to travel to schipol first - login to NS and buy NS Flex basis and collect the order from NS machine at the airport? Can you please confirm this? 

It is only possible to change your subscription to NS Flex immediately. You must confirm this change within 4 weeks. If you want to use this subscription on November 25, it is best to change it on November 26 or later. Will you be back in the Netherlands within 4 weeks?

I am going away for 4 months

Then the best thing to do is to have your subscription terminated in its entirety with a date in the future. You can then confirm this at a ticket machine before you leave the country.

Then the best thing to do is to have your subscription terminated in its entirety with a date in the future. You can then confirm this at a ticket machine before you leave the country.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

So should I buy the NS flex basic subscription now ? Or how should I go about it - especially setting a future date for termination. 

Thank you!

In this case it's best for you to have your subscription terminated. You need to contact our customer service for this.

Badge +3

Alternatively:

If you order NS Flex Basic now with your date of departure as the starting date, you can use your current subscription until you confirm the change to NS Flex at a machine (pick up order).

No customer service needed, and leftover days of your current subscription will be reimbursed. Just don't forget to confirm the switch to Flex at the airport (takes a minute or two)!

If you end your subscription through Customer Service, you can pick up the order earlier (e.g. at a supermarket) and keep using your subscription until the agreed ending date. A temporary product will be written on your card.

Beware that in that case, you must agree an ending date after your date of departure.

Reageer