beantwoord

Scammed by NS? Clear procedure mistake and no reimbursement

Good afternoon everybody, I’ll try to be clear and explain the surreal situation going on. I hope someone can help.

I came to the Netherlands as a student and bought a Dal Voordeel abbonement, starting date 09/11/2018.

I didn’t know the subscription renewal was automatic, but I assume it’s my fault I didn’t check. I returned to my home country in August and never used the service again.

After one year (19/11/2019) I had the yearly amount (52 euros) automatically withdrawn from my card, and not sure of what it was I cancelled tha payment and got the money back. I never received any email about this. Since I was travelling at that moment I delayed the issue to when I got back home (half december). I contacted the client service through the chat and explained that I didn’t know about the renewal, I didn’t use the service for months, so if they could please cancel my subscription.

On the 11 of January, the owner of the house I used to live in the Netherlands sent me a picture of a letter from NS. I immediately contacted the client service and apparently the subscription was not terminated, therefore the company was requesting the payment of 52 euro.

I was obviously not happy with how things were going but agreed to pay for the first three months and receive a reimbursement of 38.39 euro for the rest of the year. The operator clearly said: pay the 52 euros now and you will get the reimbursement before 30 days. I then received an email with the confirmation of the subscription being terminated.

I want to highlight that except for this I never received any email from NS regarding what was going on. I simply didn’t know what was going on until then.

A couple days ago, since I didn’t receive the reimbursement yet, I contacted the client service again. I was told that the information received on the 11 of January was wrong. Since too long had passed without payment, a collection procedure was started on the 1 of January and therefore I had to pay 40 euros more. So essentially I was induced to pay 52 euros with a lie from the operator on the 11 of January. And I even owed them more money at this point.

I repeatedly try to explain the situation to the client service but it was totally useless.

I know this is partially my fault but I’d like to hear an opinion about how things were handled. There was a clear mistake in the procedure and wrong information was given, so I don’t see how I have to pay for that. A partial reimbursement would be the minimum at this point.

I thank in advance anybody who can help me

icon

Beste antwoord door Erryt NS 3 maart 2020, 20:44

Hello Michele.senardi, welcome at our community,

I'm sorry it turned out this way. I must point out, however, that we always send an advance notice by e-mail. When ordering a subscription, you enter an email address and we will use that email address for correspondence. I would like to check this for you, but I'm afraid there is nothing I can do for you about the costs you have to pay. In addition, I would like to advise you to transfer the costs to the collection agency. After that has been done, you can contact our customer service again to ask if you will get a refund, as this is often the case.

Bekijk origineel

10 reacties

I'm sorry it turned out this way. I must point out, however, that we always send an advance notice by e-mail. When ordering a subscription, you enter an email address and we will use that email address for correspondence. I would like to check this for you, but I'm afraid there is nothing I can do for you about the costs you have to pay. In addition, I would like to advise you to transfer the costs to the collection agency. After that has been done, you can contact our customer service again to ask if you will get a refund, as this is often the case.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

I don’t think a lot can be done about your situation. But I do agree that the information provided by NS could be better. Did you never receive any emails about the automatic renewal of your Dal Voordeel season ticket? 

I do agree though that the information provided by NS leaves a lot to be desired for English language customers.

When you look up the conditions of the Dal Voordeel season ticket on the English language version of the website https://www.ns.nl/en/season-tickets/dal-voordeel.html. However, when you click on “Download the season ticket product conditions” you get the Dutch language version. If a company sells products in English, the terms and conditions should be provided in English too.

Actually I didn’t receive any email at any moment of this whole thing. Only after I paid the 52 euros and the subscription was canceled, not before, or I would have paid much earlier.

NS committed a clear mistake and they make me pay for that. I will pay what I have to pay and remember this as the worst customer service I ever dealt with.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinion anyway.

Reputatie 6

NS usually sends an e-mail concerning automatic renewal of subscriptions. I think companies in the Netherlands are even required to do that by law. Did that e-mail possibly end up in your spam folder?

NS usually sends an e-mail concerning automatic renewal of subscriptions. I think companies in the Netherlands are even required to do that by law. Did that e-mail possibly end up in your spam folder?

That’s what i thought and when I asked the customer service about it they said they didn’t send any email but only communication by post, which I think it’s crazy for payment requests and similar issues. If there’s any law about this please let me know so I can proceed with a formal complaint.

That’s what i thought and when I asked the customer service about it they said they didn’t send any email but only communication by post, which I think it’s crazy for payment requests and similar issues. If there’s any law about this please let me know so I can proceed with a formal complaint.

The statement you mentioned in your response is indeed quite curious and doesn't seem correct. I would like to look into this for you. Can you send me a private message with your name, address, date of birth and e-mail address? I will then see what I can do for you! 

Reputatie 6

On NS's page on Dal Vrij, it states:
"Your season ticket is valid for a term of one year. After the first year, you

may cancel your season ticket at any time, with a month's notice."

No offence meant, but cancelling the payment wasn't the smartest thing to do at the moment. However, the operator clearly stated in December that your subscription would be cancelled and you would get a refund. If I were you, I would send a private message to Errit NS (who is a forum moderator and works at customer support) to get this sorted out.

As already pointed out by another user, it's ridiculous that NS links to a Dutch language PDF on an English terms and conditions page. Also, I think that the above text I quoted should be expanded to clearly state that the subscription is automatically renewed.

Reputatie 6

Oeps, didn’’ see Jouke’s e-message above my last post, sorry!

At this time I am in contact with michele.senardi and I am working on a solution for her. 

I have informed michele.senardi that I can, unfortunately, not do anything about the situation at this time. The full fee will have to be paid before anything can be done by our Customer Service. 

Reageer