Traveling together with discount | NS Community
beantwoord

Traveling together with discount

• 21 November 2014
  • 26 reacties
  • 22430 Bekeken

• Op het juiste spoor
  • 0 reacties
i have 40% discount on my ov-chipkaart, how can i travel with my partner together with discount?
what should we do in the train station before traveling on the train?
icon

Beste antwoord door Gert-Jan G 21 November 2014, 15:07

Bekijk origineel

26 reacties

Reputatie 4
Badge
In short:

1. The passenger accompanying you holds their OV-chipkaart up to the OV-chipkaart logo at the bottom right of the NS ticket machine. (can be a personal or anonymous card)
2. Choose ‘Add other products’, then ‘Joint journey discount’ and the class you want or select it directly from the left column on the start screen if the software of the machine has been updated.
3. Click on 'Agree' and hold the OV-chipkaart up to the OV-chipkaart logo at the bottom right of the NS ticket machine again.
4. The passenger accompanying you adds credit to the balance of their own OV-chipkaart. A minimum of € 10 is required to be able to travel.
5. The passenger accompanying you checks him or herself in during off-peak hours* and checks out at the end of the journey, and is able to travel at a 40% discount.

Don't forget to read the full version:
http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/ov-chipkaart/menu-ov-chipkaart/travelling-with-the-ov-chipkaart

*off peak hours 'voordeeluren' (which apply to joint journey discount) differ from off peak hours 'daluren'.
Welcome to our Service Forum Ihab!

Gert-Jan G has already given you the right advice. I've marked his post as 'best answer'.

P.s. I've moved your topic to Overige producten, so that other customers will be better able to find this topic.
Hi, I have 40% discount on my ov-chipkaart and yesterday, after having my ticket checked by a conductor, I was told that I cannot use the discount if I'm travelling by myself. Is this information correct? I went through all the NS articles stating the rules of a Season Ticket, but there was nowhere a mention that prohibits travelling solo when using the 40% discount.

Thank you and please let me know.
Badge +3
The 40% discount (Samenreiskorting) is part of almost every NS subscription (except Kids Free). NS calls a subscription 'season ticket'.

This means a subscription holder can take up to 3 other people with him/her during off-peak hours, who then first need to load the 40% (samenreiskorting) discount on their own ov-chipcard before checking in.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Hi, I have 40% discount on my ov-chipkaart and yesterday, after having my ticket checked by a conductor, I was told that I cannot use the discount if I'm travelling by myself. Is this information correct? I went through all the NS articles stating the rules of a Season Ticket, but there was nowhere a mention that prohibits travelling solo when using the 40% discount.

Thank you and please let me know.

Are you the subscription holder? If so, you normally are allowed to travel with discount by yourself. Which subscription do you have?
Hi Rania_M, welcome to our Serviceforum.

From your message i understand that you have subscription on your OV-Chipcard, is that correct? If you have subscription, also called Season ticket, on your OV-Chipcard it is allowed to travel by yourself. An example is the Dal Voordeel Subscription which offers a 40% discount outside the peak hours.

If you used the product 'Samenreiskorting' Robert mentioned and you travel by yourself, this is not allowed. Please let us know what is the case so we can provide you with some extra information.
Hi Rania_M, welcome to our Serviceforum.

From your message i understand that you have subscription on your OV-Chipcard, is that correct? If you have subscription, also called Season ticket, on your OV-Chipcard it is allowed to travel by yourself. An example is the Dal Voordeel Subscription which offers a 40% discount outside the peak hours.

If you used the product 'Samenreiskorting' Robert mentioned and you travel by yourself, this is not allowed. Please let us know what is the case so we can provide you with some extra information.

Hi Miriam,

And thank you for your quick response. Yes it is correct that I have subscription on my OV-chipcard, the Season ticket indeed. I did use the product Samenskorting because I thought this was the way to load the 40% discount on my purchase. I see now that this is wrong.

So what is the right way to load the 40% discount on my ov-chipcard (outside peak hours of course) if I'm travelling by myself?

Thanks again.
If you have a Dal Voordeel on your card you only need to check in and out with your card. Based on the time of the check in you will or will not get 40% discount. You are not supposed to load Samenreiskorting on your card. This is for people who travel with you (If you have Dal Voordeel you can take up to 3 people with you who get Samenreiskorting on their own OV-chipcard).
If you have a Dal Voordeel on your card you only need to check in and out with your card. Based on the time of the check in you will or will not get 40% discount. You are not supposed to load Samenreiskorting on your card. This is for people who travel with you (If you have Dal Voordeel you can take up to 3 people with you who get Samenreiskorting on their own OV-chipcard).

Hi Denice,

So that means that I don't need to load any additional products on my card then, right?

Thanks for the response.
Badge +3
That's correct. You will automatically get the 40% discount when checking in outside peak hours. That is what your Dal Voordeel subscription is for.

Samenreiskorting is for when you want to take (up to 3) friends, family mebers etc. with you. They can benefit from 40% discount because YOU have the subscription.
That's correct. You will automatically get the 40% discount when checking in outside peak hours. That is what your Dal Voordeel subscription is for.

Samenreiskorting is for when you want to take (up to 3) friends, family mebers etc. with you. They can benefit from 40% discount because YOU have the subscription.

Thanks for the clarification Robert!

Hello! It is not clear for me that if I have this Samenreiskorting and I want to travel with someone, should she have a personal OV-chipkaart or does it work also with an anonymous OV-chipkaart?

Badge +3

If you travel with someone who has an NS subscription, you can load the Samenreiskorting on any ov-chipcard including anonymous ones.

See this page for details.

Reputatie 7
Badge +1

You CAN then only travel together with someone between the very same stations. That other one MUST have some kind of NS-subscription on the card and thus that card is always personal=with foto+name. Yours can be any, with/without foto etc. Also you must load the permit every time again and every day anew.

If either or both do not apply, you are not entitled to use this discount and can be fined when caught doing.

So if I have a personal OV chipkaart with NS flex subscription and my sister has an anonymous OV chipkaart then we can download the Samenreiskorting combined travel discount to her anonymous OV-chipkaart and then she will automatically receive a 40% discount during off peak hours? Am I understanding it right?

No, only if you have NS Flex with a subscription for an NS Product.

Is the Dal Voordeel (40% discount on the weekend, 40% discount outside rush hour - 5 EUR) an NS Product?

Badge +3

Yes it is. Your sister (and others up to 3 persons) can travel with you at 40% discount by loading Samenreiskorting on her anonymous card, and checking in outside peak hours.

Hello,

Sorry for bringing up this topic again. My question is how am I gonna add my partner to my joint journey discount? I couldn't find any information about adding another ov chipkaart number or name to my joint journey Group. I will activate my joint journey before we travel With my partner but how she is gonna get into my travel joint I couldn't understand. I mean, how the relation With my discount subscription and her ov chipkaart is created?

Best regards 

Badge +3

Your partner needs to do one of the following:

• If she has an OV-chipcard without NS Flex, she can go to a ticket machine before the journey and load the “Discount travel product” on her card (Samenreiskorting in Dutch), with enough credit. She will then be charged the reduced fare for the trip.

• If she has an OV-chipcard with NS Flex, she can enable Joint Journey Discount in Mijn NS (both the app and the website).

• She can buy a Joint Journey eticket (one-way or return) for the reduced fare.

You yourself don't have to do anything, just check in and out with the OV-chipcard that has your subscription on it. This means that you yourself don’t activate joint travel discount, and that you don’t register your partner's card somewhere; if your tickets are checked in the train, the conductor will check if your partner is travelling with someone with a valid subscription.

See this page for more information.

Hello Tochjo,

Thank you very much for your answer. Now I understand I think. As a summary for me and everyone, I have a subscription for 40% discount off peak hours and weekends for 5€ per month. For a travel with my companion, I don’t need to do anything for my ov chipkaart(not switching on the samenreiskorting), I just show it to card reader and pass, my family should place their cards to the ticket machine and activate the samenreiskorting on their cards. Afer that they can show their cards to the gate card readers and pass to train. In train the conductor will check if they are travelling with someone who holds a discount subscription. 

Also, I have one last question, My wife does not have any subscription on her ov chipkaart and when she logs in to “mijn ns” via ns app, there is not an option to switch on “samenreiskorting”. I have the subscription and when I log in to “mijn ns”, I can see that there is an option to switch on “samenreiskorting”. I will check with the ticket machine and ns web.

Best regards,

Ahmet

Badge +3

Thank you very much for your answer. Now I understand I think. As a summary for me and everyone, I have a subscription for 40% discount off peak hours and weekends for 5€ per month. For a travel with my companion, I don’t need to do anything for my ov chipkaart(not switching on the samenreiskorting), I just show it to card reader and pass, my family should place their cards to the ticket machine and activate the samenreiskorting on their cards. Afer that they can show their cards to the gate card readers and pass to train. In train the conductor will check if they are travelling with someone who holds a discount subscription. 

Also, I have one last question, My wife does not have any subscription on her ov chipkaart and when she logs in to “mijn ns” via ns app, there is not an option to switch on “samenreiskorting”. I have the subscription and when I log in to “mijn ns”, I can see that there is an option to switch on “samenreiskorting”. I will check with the ticket machine and ns web.

Correct.

For companion travelers with NS Flex (Basic, Wekeend Discount or Weekend Free without off-peak discount on weekdays), they need to switch on the Combined Travel Discount (Samenreiskorting) in Mijn NS or the NS app.

For those with no subscription (e.g. anonymous cards), they can use the ticket machine.

For those with no card at all, they can buy e-tickets via https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/traveling-with-the-ov-chipkaart/combined-travel-discount.html (see I do not have an ov-chipcard)

I also have a question related to this thread. Although I do have a personalized OV Chipkaart (and NS Flex), I find it easiest to simply buythe 40% reduced tickets for my wife and I via the NS app (E-Ticket).

Is this sufficient? No conductor has complained so far. I find it strange that there is no explanation by NS for this, not even in their FAQs on the topic of ‘samenreiskorting’. Why bother with the OV card and the machines at stations if you can simply do it via phone? And why do I need the new ‘samenreiscode’ if we have both our e-tickets available on my phone?

And why do I need the new ‘samenreiscode’ if we have both our e-tickets available on my phone?

Many people were buying tickets with "samenreiskorting" when actually travelling alone. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Although I do have a personalized OV Chipkaart (and NS Flex), I find it easiest to simply buythe 40% reduced tickets for my wife and I via the NS app (E-Ticket).

Is this sufficient? No conductor has complained so far.

Maybe you've been lucky for not being fined, but it has never been allowed to use the Samenreiskorting like that. The subscription-holder always needed to check in and out with his or her OV-chipcard.

Reageer