my parents are coming visiting me. They do not speak Dutch or even English, but I won't be able to be with them at all times, so when travelling I'd like that they can do it effortlessly. Ideally, I would like to give them an OV-chipkaart with auto top-up enabled from my (dutch) bank account.
1) Can I link 2 anonymous cards to my personal OV-chipkaart account and enable top up for those two also?
2) Is there any way to get discounts on anonymous cards?
3) Should I instead go and ask for 2 new personal cards? But they are staying only one week, so I would need to create the card online on my own.
Additionally: which disconts or travel packages would you recommend for doing Rotterdam-Amsterdam roundtrip for a week?
Beste antwoord door Thomas NS
Very nice of you that you'd like to help out your parents in any way possible to make traveling easier for them in the Netherlands. I will try to answer your questions.
1. Yes you can, you can purchase anonymous OV-chipcards online or at the ticketmachine at the station. Automatic raising of balance is not a product of us, but from the owners of the OV-chip card themselves. You can find more information here.
2. Anonymous cards cannot hold a contract, so there is no way to get a reduction on these cards. The only reduction that you can file for is Samenreiskorting. This is, however, only possible if you own a traincontract with us (or a studentscontract) that lends Samenreiskorting.
3. I think purchasing anonymous cards is better than filing for personal OV-chipcards in this instance, unless you think that your parents will visit more often.
Bonusquestion: Depending on their stay. you can look into several offers that most of the time provide a two-way ticket from A to B (both ways) or give you the freedom to travel for a whole day. Mostly outside of the peak hours, mind you. Maybe checking out our Spoordeelwinkel for some offers is a good idea, or download the app 'Goedkope Treinkaartjes' to see the latest offers.
I hope this will suffice. The Community wil undoubtedly provide you with more options, I'm sure.