beantwoord

Student deals?

• 28 maart 2018
  • 8 reacties
  • 426 Bekeken

I'm an International student that lives in Breda, but travels every second weekend to Amsterdam ++. Most of my classmates have the yellow student ov-chipkaart and get discounts every time they travel. Thats unfortunately something I don't get because I'm from another country, so my question is: Does anyone know about any deals or any ways that I could get that too? Or something similar?

I know that you can get it if you work a certain amount of hours during a week, but I absolutely don't have time for that with the study I'm doing. Could there be any other way?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best wishes,
Idun
icon

Beste antwoord door Melvinhage 28 maart 2018, 16:34

Shops like kruidvat en blokker offer train tickets at a reduced price. Alternatively you can get a subcription called "weekend vrij" which allows you to travel for unlimited in the weekend for 40 euro each month and 40% during weekdays.
Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 4
Shops like kruidvat en blokker offer train tickets at a reduced price. Alternatively you can get a subcription called "weekend vrij" which allows you to travel for unlimited in the weekend for 40 euro each month and 40% during weekdays.
Badge +3
The recent Kruidvat action has expired but see here for the current actions.

Also, there is the NS Dal Voordeel subscription for € 50,- per year, which gives you 40% discount on train journeys in off-peak hours. Since that is a yearly subscription, you will get the personal (yellow) ov-chipcard for free (saves you € 7,50).
Hello dunsala, welcome at our Forum,

I also would like to advice you to consider a Weekend Vrij subscription. Only this subscription will cost you €33,00 instead of €40,00 and this is a subscription that you may end every month after the first year. A single ticket from Breda to Amsterdam will cost you € 20,40.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
You might want to check with DUO if it's really not possible to get a studentcard, if you haven't already done so of course 🙂
Thank you very much for all your replies!

All of them were very helpful and I will look further into it and see which one would be most suitable for me.

Have a lovely evening!
Badge +3
You're welcome!

The math is your chore for which is cheapest. Alas, NS doesn't have any student discounts unless if you are under 18 yrs (the € 15,- Dal Voordeel 40% first and every year for teenagers)
Reputatie 4
I'm an International student that lives in Breda, but travels every second weekend to Amsterdam ++. Most of my classmates have the yellow student ov-chipkaart and get discounts every time they travel. Thats unfortunately something I don't get because I'm from another country, so my question is: Does anyone know about any deals or any ways that I could get that too? Or something similar?

The "Student Travel Product" ("Studentenreisproduct" in Dutch) that your fellow classmates travel with is part of the Dutch student loans. You don't actually have to take a loan to be able to travel with a Student Travel Product, even with a loan of € 0,00 you can get a Student Travel Product.

To be eligible for a Student Travel Product you need to be:

1. A Dutch citizen or permanent resident (which I guess you are not);

OR

2. A citizen of a member country of the European Economic Area (EEA, which is the EU+Norway+Iceland+Liechtenstein) or Switzerland, who works for 56 hours per month or more in the Netherlands (or someone with a non-Dutch EEA/Swiss partner who works for more than 56 hours per month).

If you are from the EEA or Switzerland, I suggest you take a look into student jobs, because if you work in the Netherlands for more than 56 hours per month (~14 hours per week), you are not only eligible for Dutch student loans, but you can also travel the entire country for free, either during the week or during the weekend.

If you are not from the EEA or Switzerland, there is no other option rather than taking a regular subscription at NS.
Reputatie 7
Thank you kindly Maarten, very useful information.
Please update us on your decisions Idunsala!

Reageer