beantwoord

Complaint about Lost & Found service from NS

• 21 september 2017
  • 19 reacties
  • 482 Bekeken

Hello, my name is Yang. I want to leave my complaint here. So sorry to put it in English.

It's a mistake made by NS conductors about Lost & Found. I think NS is responsible for my loss. I have gone to the police station, since this issue sounds like a crime. But before that, I should let you know what has happened, in case in the future there would be other victims. Please ask every NS people to follow your working procedure carefully!!

Yesterday (09-19), after work, I took a train from Amsterdam Centraal to Amsterdam Lelylaan, which left at around 19:02. When I arrived Lelylaan and got off the train, suddenly I noticed I dropped my cell phone. Through the window, I saw it was on my seat. I wanted to get in again but the train was about to leave. I knocked the window and luckily a young lady noticed it (at around 19:16). Then I gave her a call to my phone through my girlfriend's cell phone. I told her to give the phone to an NS officer on the train (at around 19:20 pm). Luckily, at that time there was a lady from NS, who was on her way home after work, helped me a lot about how to deal with this. She tried to give a call to her colleague on customer service, but the line was too busy. After I arrived home, followed her instructions, I filled in the form on the NS website to report my lost cell phone, and got a reference number for it 8000557816. Then I called the NS customer service. A lady answered my phone and confirmed that NS had my phone and would send it to the Lost & Found in the Amsterdam Centraal Station and I could pick it up tomorrow (09-20) with a reference number 8000557797. It looks like the problem is solved.

However, the next day (09-20), when I went to the Lost & Found in Amsterdam Centraal Station with my reference number (at around 10:00 am), the officer told me they didn't have my cell phone. It was quite strange. An NS officer in Amsterdam Centraal, named Marcel, helped me gave another call to the NS customer line and reconfirmed that my phone was sent to the Amsterdam Centraal Station. He reported it to his colleague in Lost & Found. They checked again but still got nothing. As it was so strange, they checked the online record (NS database for lost and found, I guess), and found out the customer service was right. My cell phone was sent by an NS officer to the Amsterdam Centraal. But they actually didn't receive it. In order to know what was happened, they gave a call to the person who sent my phone to the Amsterdam Centraal Station (whom they found through the online record). A lady picked up the phone and said she just dropped my phone to the service desk, instead of the Lost & Found!!! Then, Marcel and I went to the service desk, he tried his best but still he cound't find my phone. Then, he gave a call to the person who was working last night at the service desk. Marcel spoke Dutch with him/her on the phone. During their talk, the guy/girl from the phone asked me where am I from. I told Marcel I'm from China. Then, at last, the NS officer who worked at the service desk last night claimed that a Chinese couple went to the service desk and told them they lost their cell phone. So he/she gave my cell phone to them, since they could unlock my cell phone!! He/she claimed that they came at around 20:30. He/she gave my phone to this couple without asking any reference number, or even leaving some information about them!!!

To me, this is so strange!!! No one knows I lost my phone, except me and my girlfriend. The only way to unlock my phone is to use my fingerprint!! I don't believe there would be someone who could crack this on the spot! And a Chinese couple? Just appear after I lost my phone? (According to the NS people who worked at the service desk, the Chinese couples appeared at 20:30, but I lost my phone at 19:20, what a coincident!!!). Today, when I got home, I checked all my accounts. The log-in history shows, after my last use of my phone on the train (at around 18:42 19-09-2017), no one has used my phone then. Hence I don't believe that someone really unlocks my phone in front of the NS people at the service desk, without using the phone anymore. The entire process is so suspicious!!!

As a result, I think I should go the police station. Maybe there is a camera around the service desk. I have to confirm if there is a real Chinese couple, as what he/she mentioned!! But I just want to remind you that, if the NS people on the train who sent my phone to the lost & found point in Amsterdam following your working rule, instead of sent it casually to the service desk, this would not happen. I think NS is responsible for my loss. I lost my phone, which is a One Plus 3T, gold phone with a bamboo case, and all the precious information in it.

You could reach me through my email: liuyang.bach@gmail.com

I want to know what NS is going to do. Besides, I want to thank Marcel, the NS officer in the Amsterdam Centraal, who helped me a lot, and the lady who gave me a hand in the Amsterdam Lelylaan station, who is an NS officer as well.

I still believe someone took my phone and made up a story about Chinese couple. NS is responsible for this. What I want to know is, truth.
icon

Beste antwoord door Gabriëlle NS 21 september 2017, 15:06

Hi nostalbach. Welcome to our NS Serviceforum!

I have contacted my colleagues of the Lost and Found department. Your phone has been in our possession but has been lost in the process of getting the phone back to you. I would like to apologize for this major mistake. Because it is our mistake that the phone is lost, you can ask for a refund for the phone. Please send us a letter with the original invoice, the invoice you got when you purchased the phone, and send this to our customer service. You can send the invoice, with a letter describing what happened to NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht. There is a notification in your account that we will refund the phone to you.
Bekijk origineel

19 reacties

Hi nostalbach. Welcome to our NS Serviceforum!

I have contacted my colleagues of the Lost and Found department. Your phone has been in our possession but has been lost in the process of getting the phone back to you. I would like to apologize for this major mistake. Because it is our mistake that the phone is lost, you can ask for a refund for the phone. Please send us a letter with the original invoice, the invoice you got when you purchased the phone, and send this to our customer service. You can send the invoice, with a letter describing what happened to NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht. There is a notification in your account that we will refund the phone to you.
Dear NS officer,

Thank you so much for your reply. So glad to know that NS is gonna to make a remedy. But can I do this through email with all my proof scanned? Or I have to send a mail to NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht?

Besides, if you could know the truth after some investigation in the future ( if there is further investigation), could you please let me know about it? I'm so curious about who did this and caused a lot of troubles. Actually NS is quite helpful. I lost my phone. It is my fault on earth. All the NS employees I met were so kind to offer their help. I'm really grateful for those kind hearts. Only the result is quite disappointed.

Anyway, thank you so much for giving me a response so fast. And I want to express my gratitude from the bottom of my heart, for those who did help me with this dilemma.
Badge +3
The usual procedure is to deliver found goods to a Tickets & Service desk, but apparently Amsterdam has an own Lost & Found desk.

They will keep the goods for 3 days, so you can reclaim it for free. After that, it is sent to the central agency, and you will have to pay € 15,- to have it sent back to you by registered mail.

In your starting post, you mentioned 2 different reference numbers, that is strange! I assume you tried both of them at the Lost & Found? Seems there is a mix up of two different lost phones. :?

For e-mail, you can use forum@ns.nl but the proper way is to send a Direct (private) Message to a moderator by clicking on their name and then choose "Stuur bericht". You can't attach pictures in a Direct Message, though.
The usual procedure is to deliver found goods to a Tickets & Service desk, but apparently Amsterdam has an own Lost & Found desk.

They will keep the goods for 3 days, so you can reclaim it for free. After that, it is sent to the central agency, and you will have to pay € 15,- to have it sent back to you by registered mail.

In your starting post, you mentioned 2 different reference numbers, that is strange! I assume you tried both of them at the Lost & Found? Seems there is a mix up of two different lost phones. :?

The first reference number was given when I filled the lost & found form online, sent by email. The second reference number was given when I called the customer service and then obtained from the NS customer service. The NS employee I met on the platform told me to first fill in the form online and then call the NS customer service.

My point is not about fetching my stuff from lost & found. But they lost my stuff after they got it. Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Badge +3
The reference number you get should be consistent throughout the entire process from the first time of reporting.
Badge +3
So please say you have 2 references in further contact with NS personnel. Hope that helps...
I'll really have to ask you to send us a letter. In case of claims we need a physical note.
Reputatie 5
If I understand correctly, the service-desk story about the Chinese couple who claimed the phone, was witnessed by a NS employee (Marcel) so it should be evident to the NS that the normal procedure was not followed at all !!
I'll really have to ask you to send us a letter. In case of claims we need a physical note.

Ok. I will send a letter to NS customer service center in Utrecht with all the details about this event, including the purchase info of my phone. I will elaborate what has happened in great detail. I will send the letter as soon as I can. Again, thank you so much for reaching me and paying so much attention to my complaint.
So please say you have 2 references in further contact with NS personnel. Hope that helps...

Thanks for your notice. I will include those two reference numbers as they are provided by NS, when I claimed my lost phone online.
If I understand correctly, the service-desk story about the Chinese couple who claimed the phone, was witnessed by a NS employee (Marcel) so it should be evident to the NS that the normal procedure was not followed at all !!

Well.... I couldn't say so...Because I have no direct proof....But still, I couldn't believe the story.... Especially, for the saying that "They unlock your phone in front of me..."
Reputatie 7
No worries, glad we could be of service. Make sure you update your situation in this topic, so we can monitor it all. Good luck!
No worries, glad we could be of service. Make sure you update your situation in this topic, so we can monitor it all. Good luck!

Hi Thomas, thank you so much for your attention! I will mail the customer service and paste my update here.
I have sent a letter to the customer service in Utrecht (NS Klantenservice, Postbus 2372, 3500 GJ Utrecht) on September 24th. It has been three weeks but still there is no reply. Could anyone tell me if my request is being processed, or if there is anything happened? @NS:?
You could sent me a private message by clicking my name and than 'stuur privébericht'. If I don't got the time before 10:00 pm to provide you with an answer, it would be next week when you'll get a reply. So the best way to get a reply, would be to contact the NS helpdesk. The fastest way would be by phone (+31 30 751 51 55), chat, Twitter (NS_online) or Facebook.
Finally, NS paid my loss. Here I want to express my gratitude for every NS employees who have helped me during this event, as well as to those strangers who have given me a hand when I didn't know what to do. Thank you very much.
But it is a pity that even now I still don't know what really happened to my phone. Anyway, since there are so many chains in this event, I understand it is difficult to investigate. Luckily, to me, it is still a happy ending.
I'm glad to read you finally received a reimbursement of your phone, nostalbach!
Badge +3
Finally, NS paid my loss. Here I want to express my gratitude for every NS employees who have helped me during this event, as well as to those strangers who have given me a hand when I didn't know what to do. Thank you very much.
Good. According to the law (Wet Personenvervoer 2000) NS is liable for damage or loss of valuables if they are to blame up to a maximum of € 1500,-

Same if you miss a planned flight due to unforeseen delays on your way to the airport, up to € 1000,-
I just had my exams that included WPV2000. 😃

Reageer