beantwoord

Getting ID Card back after losing it

• 27 mei 2019
  • 8 reacties
  • 307 Bekeken

Hey, my item - Found object 8001031477 has just been returned.
I am very lost to why my proof of why my UK ID has not been returned with my lost item? My drivers license and other elements are all in there. There must be a way to have this returned somehow? It is positively the nightmare or nightmares and costs hundreds or euros to replace. Can you please help me solve this? Is there a place in Amsterdam / Utrecht Can I get this item returned to me please? It is such an expensive and awful process to go through once again.

sH
icon

Beste antwoord door Stijn NS 27 mei 2019, 17:55

Good afternoon samzabell and welcome to the NS Community!

I'm sorry to read that your ID card hasn't been sent along with the other lost items, but in this case, what Edwin said is correct.

Identification documents, like a passport, ID card and even a driver's license will remain property of the government or institution who provided them. This is usually written on the documentation itself. When we find identification documents, we are legally obliged to transfer them to the relevant authority due to security reasons. They generally request to either destroy the documentation or to send it to them, in which case they usually destroy it themselves.

In this case, you'll have to contact your local authority to ask what the next step is. Most likely, you'll have to apply for a new ID card.
Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge
Probably because those items are not your property, but property of the (in your case UK) government. If you lose that and they are recovered, they will be returned to the owner, not the user.
I don't follow. I am a resident of the UK, and my wallet was lost on holidays last month in Amsterdam. The ID in the wallet is my UK Identification Card. I am the owner of this card, under my name, as with all the other cards present in this picture that still remained in my wallet. There is no difference between the name on my UK card and any of these other cards. Can you please explain this to me and how I am able to get this back?

Thank you
Samuel Zabell
Good afternoon samzabell and welcome to the NS Community!

I'm sorry to read that your ID card hasn't been sent along with the other lost items, but in this case, what Edwin said is correct.

Identification documents, like a passport, ID card and even a driver's license will remain property of the government or institution who provided them. This is usually written on the documentation itself. When we find identification documents, we are legally obliged to transfer them to the relevant authority due to security reasons. They generally request to either destroy the documentation or to send it to them, in which case they usually destroy it themselves.

In this case, you'll have to contact your local authority to ask what the next step is. Most likely, you'll have to apply for a new ID card.
Reputatie 5
I am the owner of this card, under my name, as with all the other cards present in this picture that still remained in my wallet.

You are not. You are allowed to use it to prove your identity. Identity cards of at least any country I've ever heared this about, remain property of the government that provided them. I.e. 'your' identity card is a property of the government of the United Kingdom. Therefore, it was returned to the authorities and likely permanently invalidated. I don't know this about UK identity cards, but Dutch pasport even explicitely state they are and remain government property and are to be turned in when found. Returning 'your' identity card to you, would be illegal.

@Stijn NS post and mine crossed eachother. Sorry for the duplicate information.
Badge +3
The situation with ID cards issued in the UK is completely different to the Netherlands. Since 2010 the UK government hasn't issued ID cards. This has proven to be really difficult for people without driving licences that they could use for identification.

The UK government has granted several not for profit organisations permission to issue photo ID cards because not everyone wants to take their passport with them all the time and not everyone has a driving licence. The ID cards can be used to prove that you're old enough to drink alcohol. Or rent a DVD etc. These cards have no status outside the UK.

There are several card issuers. Here are links to two of them.
https://www.validateuk.co.uk
https://www.citizencard.com

The card is paid for by @samzabell but remains legal property of the card issuer. It should have been returned to the company that issued the card. So maybe @samzabell could contact the card issuer to find out if it has been returned by NS. NS shouldn't have sent it to the UK authorities.
Badge
The Dutch law says that the NS must send all the found passports and ID's to the Militairy Police (Marechaussee) also if they are found in luggage of wallets they may not be returned to the owner. Thats what happens if your passport or ID is found by NS.

I assume you have to buy a new one.
Badge +3
This is an interesting case because outside the UK it's a card without any status. There's no legal reason to send the card to the Marechaussee. It should have been returned to the card issuer.
Badge +3
This is an interesting case because outside the UK it's a card without any status. There's no legal reason to send the card to the Marechaussee. It should have been returned to the card issuer.
If it's a standard European ID card (issued before 2010) it *could* be a legal ID document... I wonder if the driving license counts as one, but since it was not taken out, I suspect not.

In the Netherlands, there is a slight difference (identificatie vs. legitimatie). E.g. to vote or buy alcohol/tobacco, showing a drivers license is just fine.

Reageer