beantwoord

Any compensation for temporary cancellation?

• 11 april 2019
  • 8 reacties
  • 208 Bekeken

I live in The Hague. I had a flight this morning which gate opened at 10:10. I planned to go to the schipol airport by intercity which should run at 9:00. When I arrived at Den Haag Centraal at 8:50, the screen showed that would be a 5-minute delay of the train which I would take. After waiting for more than 15 minutes, the train still didn’ come. I asked the crew of NS, they told me that all trains to the airport from Den Haag were cancelled at that time (including the train departed at 9:30) and I needed to go to Rotterdam or Utrecht to transfer. But there was no enough time for me to transfer, so I had to take taxi which cost me 117 euroes. Since NS didn’t annouce any cancellations in advance, I had no choice to use public transportation, and I even nearly missed the flight. I need a compensation. Should NS pay the taxi fee? Thanks!
icon

Beste antwoord door Rudi 11 april 2019, 14:05

Like kukkie wrote: NS is not liable for compensation of subsequential costs, only for compensating (part of) the train ticket price. In this case, the Intercity trains of 09:00 and 09:30 were cancelled, but the direct Sprinter of 09:03 did run. Also, you could have taken the 09:16 Intercity to Leiden or the 09:23 Intercity to Rotterdam and change. All of these trains would have given you an arrival before 10:10 at Schiphol Airport.
Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 3
No, they will not. You can apply only for the costs of your train ticket. The NS is not responsible for your choice to call a taxi.

It is advised to arrive at the airport 3 hours in advance. You departed too late.

If the delay was 60 minutes or more, you will get a full refund of your train ticket, otherwise you receive only half the price.
Reputatie 5
Like kukkie wrote: NS is not liable for compensation of subsequential costs, only for compensating (part of) the train ticket price. In this case, the Intercity trains of 09:00 and 09:30 were cancelled, but the direct Sprinter of 09:03 did run. Also, you could have taken the 09:16 Intercity to Leiden or the 09:23 Intercity to Rotterdam and change. All of these trains would have given you an arrival before 10:10 at Schiphol Airport.
The crew told us all trains which went to Leiden or airport were cancelled. They told us that bus was the only way to Leiden at that time. Besides, if I took the train to Rotterdam, I won’t have enough time to transfer. I checked the schedule for transfer from Rotterdam as soon as I knew I couldn’t go to the airport directly. There was no appropriate trains at that time.
Also, there was no trains to airport from Leiden. So it had no use to go to Leiden.
Reputatie 3
Then you should have called the customer service. They will tell you how to travel. Travelling to Leiden was impossible, travelling to Schiphol Airport was not.

You had indeed no use to go to Leiden, but it was necessary to travel via Rotterdam. That was possible with +/- 30-60 minutes delay. You departed too late.
Reputatie 5
I am afraid you were misinformed. The 09:03 Sprinter did run from Den Haag Centraal to Schiphol Airport departing late, but eventually arriving at Schiphol 10:10 h. If your gate really opened at 10:10 h, even a planned arrival of 09:32 (when the original 09:00 Intercity would have been on time) is terribly optimistic, even when you have no luggage and not having to negociate passport control.
If I took the 9:00 train, I would definitely get on board with the electronic boarding pass and no luggage, since I travelled lots of times, and I always reached the airport 1h in advance.
Reputatie 3
You have to reach the airport 3 hours in advance for intercontinental flights and 2 hours for European flights, according to the airport. On top of that, it is necessary to reckon with 1 hour possible train delay.

Your travel plan was too optimistic indeed.

Reageer