beantwoord

Asking for a refund for not being able to use the train ticket

My husband was to take the train early in the morning to go to Zwolle today to take an exam. But there is disruption and the extra traveling time is unpredictable. So he has to drive to Zwolle instead of taking the train. He has to arrive at the integration exam center by 10:20. If he takes the train and the extra traveling time is more than one hour and he will definitely be late for the exam and he will have to sign up for the exams and pay for the exams again. So he has to choose to drive to make sure he is on time for the exams. And he also has to pay for the parking now. This is why he requests a refund. Could you reconsider the situation? Thank you.
icon

Beste antwoord door Thom 25 april 2019, 13:14

Contact Customer Service for a refund of your ticket. There will be no refund for the costs of your alternative with the car, maybe for the ticket.

English is spoken.

Bekijk origineel

21 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +4
Contact Customer Service for a refund of your ticket. There will be no refund for the costs of your alternative with the car, maybe for the ticket.

English is spoken.
The customer service refused to refund the ticket. They mean after buying the ticket, risks and costs are on my own.
It is unfair. He has bought the ticket for today. Then there was the disruption and he would be late if he was still traveling by train. And his ticket is not used. Now NSrefused to give us a refund. They do not refund the ticket and they take no responsibility for being late if the train is duties. We pay for the ticket, and then all the risks and costs are on us.
Welcome to our NS Community, cindybaobao!

I'm really sorry to read that there was a disruption on the route of your husband. I can understand that he wanted to be certain and that he took the car instead of the train. Unfortunately these things happen on the railways and if he didn't travel by train with this ticket (and was delayed), we can't give him a refund.
Reputatie 3
FOUT!
Volgens EU-regels zijn jullie bij NS dit wel degelijk verplicht.
Is hier al eerder gemeld en toen moest NS met schaamrood op de kaken erkennen dat dit zo is.
So his fault is he has not travelled by the delayed train.
He chose to go by car because the train was delayed. If he still travels by train, he would definitely be late for the exam.
Or can I ask in this way?
If he has taken the delayed train and he is late for the exam, will you pay for all the loss, including the registration fee for the exams?
Welcome to our NS Community, cindybaobao!

I'm really sorry to read that there was a disruption on the route of your husband. I can understand that he wanted to be certain and that he took the car instead of the train. Unfortunately these things happen on the railways and if he didn't travel by train with this ticket (and was delayed), we can't give him a refund.

So his fault is he has not travelled by the delayed train.
He chose to go by car because the train was delayed. If he still travels by train, he would definitely be late for the exam.
Or can I ask in this way?
If he has taken the delayed train and he is late for the exam, will you pay for all the loss, including the registration fee for the exams?
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
It is not a matter of fault but of regulations and policy.. There has been a severe fraudulent use by obtaining refunds with e-tickets, so NS is very restraining. You agreed with these conditions when you purchased the tickets. Chances are not very big, but you sometimes do not now what the reaction will be.
But I can provide all the proofs they need to show that he didn't take the train but went by car. There is the parking ticket.
If NS doesn't accept any explanation, nor any proof. Then I can only conclude that NS is unreasonable.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
NS is not liable for this damage when a train is too late or whatever, it is excluded by law.
If NS is excluded for everything, NS should not refund for any delay.
NS will refund the delay for a train ticket if your husband actually used the train. NS is, as Thom mentioned, not liable for any additional costs because of a delay. This includes taxi costs, other transport agencies, gas for a car or a missed flight. This is issued by Dutch Law.

Bahnrider, please inform us about the paragraph in Dutch law that states that NS is liable in the situation cindybaobao mentioned here.
Badge +3
I assume bahnrider is referring to the Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on rail passengers’ rights and obligations, Article 16 of which states that where it is reasonably to be expected that the delay in the arrival at the final destination under the transport contract will be more than 60 minutes, the passenger is entitled to reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket.

I think a case can be made here that the expected delay was indeed more than an hour if her husband had planned to take a train between 6.42 am and 8.07 am, considering the first report of the disruption was at 6.42 am and the first report of a replacement bus service was no sooner than 8.07 am.
When I buy the ticket, the agreed travel time is one hour. Now there is a delay which is not caused by myself and I will be late if I still travel by train. So I want to return the ticket and get my money back. And according to you, this is not supported by the Dutch law. Is it right?
Or can I ask:
If you know you will be late if you still take the delayed train, will you still choose to travel by train?
Now the train is delayed, and I will have to take all the costs on myself. The unused train ticket, the cost of travelling by car, the parking fee?
So what can I say?
This is all my fault, because I have bought the NS train ticket.
Let me try to solve this problem, discussing what is or isn't allowed won't help you. Did you try to get a refund for the E-ticket at this website? This should send you an e-mail that either approves or denies your request for a refund. In the second case you can respond to the e-mail and explain your situation. If the delay on both of the journeys is more then an hour you should get all the money refunded. If you should only have a delay on one part of the journey and this is more then an hour you will get 50% of the ticket refunded. Does this help you solve your problem, cindybaobao?
Badge +3
But I can provide all the proofs they need to show that he didn't take the train but went by car. There is the parking ticket.
If NS doesn't accept any explanation, nor any proof. Then I can only conclude that NS is unreasonable.

A random parking ticket to prove someone (anyone?) did not take the train cannot be accepted.

Your husband had a valid ticket and there is absolutely no way to see if it was used to travel or not. Better use disposable chipcards from a ticket machine.
At Zwolle, you have to check out with your ticket, or you can not get out of the station. Why can't you prove that you have used your ticket or not?
By all the proofs, of course it is definitely not only the parking ticket. Besides, it is not a random parking ticket. He needed to take an exam in the morning.
Reputatie 5
I assume bahnrider is referring to the Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on rail passengers’ rights and obligations, Article 16 of which states that where it is reasonably to be expected that the delay in the arrival at the final destination under the transport contract will be more than 60 minutes, the passenger is entitled to reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket.

I think a case can be made here that the expected delay was indeed more than an hour if her husband had planned to take a train between 6.42 am and 8.07 am, considering the first report of the disruption was at 6.42 am and the first report of a replacement bus service was no sooner than 8.07 am.

Thank you for the clarification Tochjo.

It is really embarassing how NS continuously try to ignore the European regulations in these cases and that they are even supported by members of this forum.

The transportation by NS is subject to the above mentioned European regulations and therefore if NS are unable to provide the services promised (which is normal as the services of NS are very unreliable) they shall compensate their customers in accordance with the European law.

Apparently for NS rules and regulations are a one-way street, which only works in their own advantage.
Badge +3
To be fair the compensation NS offers in case of delays is more generous than in the EU Regulation. It's an oversimplification if you call this a one-way street.

But this sad story brings to light for the umpteenth time that the current NS e-ticket is not fit for purpose. The fact that an e-ticket can't be cancelled or refunded keeps causing problems. This case is even more ridiculous because the ticket holder simply couldn't use the ticket because of expected delays. The suggestion to only refund half of the ticket price is quite ridiculous. If you don't use the outbound leg of the ticket, you're not very likely to use the return leg either.

I wouldn't recommend buying an e-ticket from NS to my worst enemy.
The problemen is that NS would rather sell e-tickets than tickets from a vending machine. To achieve this they are very eager to tell You that e-tickets are 1€ cheaper than tickets from a vending machine. However NS "forgets" to indicate hereby that e-tickets are not refundable while tickets from a vending machine are.
Many customers are daily disappointed when they find out afterwards.
NS frustrates making an informed choiche and a conscious purchase. That is not decent (and probably not in accordance with Dutch legislation).
Badge +3
At Zwolle, you have to check out with your ticket, or you can not get out of the station. Why can't you prove that you have used your ticket or not?
Unfortunately, e-ticket transactions are NOT registered by gates at all.

They simply open gates (according to the date on the ticket, which is in the Aztec code) -or newer standards that are not used/implemented yet- and nothing else, really.

You are totally free to (unlimitedly) open all gates in the Netherlands with that code. They don't care, it's valid to them dumb offline machines which only act according to 'what they see' (either on a chipcard or e-ticket Aztec code).

Most train stations don't even have gates, so there is no need/possibility at all to 'check in' when using an e-ticket.

That is why e-tickets need to be completed with your personal info, and need to match the info on a valid ID upon monitoring/checking in the train (which is mostly absent, see other topics for that).

Hope this explains.

Reageer