beantwoord

Foldable Bike Rules

• 24 November 2022
  • 2 reacties
  • 507 Bekeken

Dear NS customer service,

I have a Dalvrij (first class) subscription and use train to travel to work from Eindhoven to Utrecht everyday. Today I had a very unpleasant interaction with one of the security personnel about my folding bike.

According to her the foldable bike must be stored in the bicycle section of the train and the traveler must stay with the bike. She forced me move to the bicycle section and stand by my bike. During last two years of my travel, this has never been a problem. 

Could you please let me know what are NS rules regarding foldable bikes?

As far as I understood from your website and OV websites, foldable bikes are treated as baggage and can be stored in a similar way as long as it doesn't block any exit. Is this correct?

Do I need to stay with my bike during the travel as long as it is stored in a safe way?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Milad

icon

Beste antwoord door Lorena NS 24 November 2022, 11:29

Bekijk origineel

2 reacties

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

Hi miladm65 and welcome to the NS Community! 

I'm sorry for the unpleasant interaction in the train! If your bike is not folded, you must put your bicycle in one of the designated locations in the train. This is not necessary for a folded bike. It must be placed in a location where they will not form an obstruction nuisance. But it is possible that someone will ask you to put your folded bike somewhere else. You can also find this in the Terms & Conditions for the transport of Passengers and Hand Luggage article 5.4.

As far as I understood from your website and OV websites, foldable bikes are treated as baggage and can be stored in a similar way as long as it doesn't block any exit. Is this correct?

Do I need to stay with my bike during the travel as long as it is stored in a safe way?

A folding bike should not block any exit, true. Also it should not block any chairs/seating area, the aisles between the chairs or any other utilities in the train. Just like any other baggage.

You are responsible for the bike during the whole journey. If it’s stored properly, there will be little problems with leaving it somewhere. However you are responsible and accountable for the bike at all times.

Furthermore - members of staff do have the authority to give you instructions to put the bike somewhere else if they feel its necessary

Reageer