beantwoord

Question concerning mouth masks (mondkapjes) rule

• 23 mei 2020
  • 4 reacties
  • 403 Bekeken

Hi everyone,

I had a quick question concerning the face mask rule that comes into effect as of the 1st of June.

The rule states that one has to wear a face covering or simply put ‘mondkapje’ that covers the mouth and nose of one’s face, and ideally that mask or covering should be ‘non-medical.’

However, what if I have a KN95 mask that I would like to wear or even a FFP3 mask that I have acquired legitimately. Can I wear those or is the ‘non-medical’ more than a just a recommendation?

Also, if it is not possible to wear KN95, FFP2 or FFP3 masks, then could I hypothetically wear a half-face respisrator, commonly referred to as a half-face gas mask, with filters? I mean those are technically non-medical despite technically meeting the same standards as a FFP2 and FFP3 non-reusable face mask.

Thank you all in advance for your time and responses. I would be very grateful for some clarification on these questions as I tried really hard finding some answers myself, but could not find any...

icon

Beste antwoord door bahnrider 24 mei 2020, 12:03

Perhaps you have to get accustomed to dutch customs of ´´we dont give a damn´ or nicely : ´gedogen´. In actuel everyday practice noone will even know how to differentiate between all those types. It was ordered that way to save the precious as in sort supply medical masks for the medicals.

However wearing a gasmask will simply make you look utterly silly and some frightened people may assume you are a dreaded terrorist. Do you want that?

Yes, I know some people like to find the extremes and think thats oso funny. It is not. There are enough websites catering for such people-leave it there.

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Reputatie 5
Badge

Perhaps you have to get accustomed to dutch customs of ´´we dont give a damn´ or nicely : ´gedogen´. In actuel everyday practice noone will even know how to differentiate between all those types. It was ordered that way to save the precious as in sort supply medical masks for the medicals.

However wearing a gasmask will simply make you look utterly silly and some frightened people may assume you are a dreaded terrorist. Do you want that?

Yes, I know some people like to find the extremes and think thats oso funny. It is not. There are enough websites catering for such people-leave it there.

Hello Jimmy75, welcome to the NS Community. 

Medical masks are supposed to be for healthcare workers. Masks people wear while traveling by bus, tram, metro or train should be non-medical, so medical masks stay available for healthcare workers. If you have a medical mask that you want to wear then I don't expect that to be an issue, but you don't need to. I am sorry it is only in Dutch but frequently asked questions about wearing masks are on this site

Badge +3

Almost any mask is allowed, as long as it’s not a cut up sock or scarf.

If you have one with a N95 or FFP certification (called ‘medical’ in communications), those are totally allowed in public transport, of course.

There will be no fines for wearing a ‘medical’ thingy. They even sell CE/FFP2 masks at Etos stores at railway stations.. or any DIY store. :sweat_smile:

And if you want to drink or eat, feel free to move the mask as long as you keep the 1,5m distance from others.

If this girl would put some paper towels in it, it will be allowed too! To answer your question, the non-medical is only an advice because of ‘worldwide shortage’ for the ‘real ones’.

I've been shopping around for bandanas the past few weeks and have already managed to find a couple of ones I'm okay with wearing. While I strongly oppose the new rules regarding masks I will make sure to keep something more practical at hand, something that looks good that I can wear for a couple of minutes without discomfort. 

I'm also fairly certain that it will more than suffice as I travelled to Germany last week to find out what it's like, and found out that there was little to no enforcement at all and plenty of people were travelling without wearing anything on their face. So I'm hopeful that the same will be true here.

Whether you should be concerned at all about wearing something that's deemed “too good” for civil use: don't even bother. Even if they have the resources to enforce the rules, they're not going to waste your time by being dicks about it. 

Reageer