beantwoord

Silence compartment - Stilte

• 29 februari 2020
  • 8 reacties
  • 457 Bekeken

So... This post is a combination of a conversation, a question and a complaint. 

I couldn't help but notice, since some of the are basically screaming right next to me, that many people do not respect at all the silent zones in the trains. 

Most of the people that are in there could really use some silence to relax after a hard and long day.

I am  personally travelling 5 days a week from the Hague to Amsterdam and back, and after a long and tiring day at work those 47 minutes I spend in the train I most certainly need to spend them as quietly and peacefully as possible.

Unfortunately this is not the case, as it happens that ALWAYS there are people in the silence compartment that are screaming, talking on their phones or bring their, obviously undisciplined, kids. At the same time, there was only one occasion within 4 months where a conductor told them to be quiet, only so they could start again after 2 minutes without any repercussions. 

I really do not know why the silent compartments were created in the first place, if there is no kind of rule enforcement and no sign of interest from the NS.nl or the public. 

Coming here as a highly skilled expat I thought this country was more organised and respectful, and I was really excited about my arrival, but I am very disappointed to realise that this is not the case in many instances, including this matter.

This is where I would ask what NS.nl is doing about it, but I know the answer already. And there are things that CAN be done, both by increasing the visibility of the silent zones but also applying checks and penalties to those who do not respect it. 

But instead, I am probably going to receive a generic and pointless answer here on this forum. Which makes me wonder why am I writing this in the first place. Such a waste of time, what a shame really...

icon

Beste antwoord door Maxime NS 1 maart 2020, 17:02

Hello V for souVlaki, welcome to the NS Community. 

So you take 10 trains a week and every time it is noisy in the silence zones? I am sorry that there are so many people not respecting the request to be quiet there. There has been a trial with making the sings more visible, but that did not made people behave differently. I can process the request for more checks. I don't think fines will be introduced.

Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 7

@V for souVlaki

You are right. And lots of people, including me as a daily traveler, have the same experience. There are dozens of topics on this community on this subject. NS will answer that you're supposed to ask people yourself to be quiet... A conductor sometimes will do that as well, but a fine won't be given. NS expects people to obey the general rules of conduct and friendly asks to respect the rules in the silence compartments. Well think again. Many people make their own rules (especially if they know it can't be enforced or fined) and do not care if they are loud or they think the silent zone as a concept is absurd and just won't adhere to it. "The train is full, I only can sit in the silence part, it's a pity for you but I talk whenever I want, the train is not a library, the fare is so expensive and then I have to shut my mouth as well?  that sort of reactions you get. Frustrating indeed. I think there is no effective solution for it.

NS has said it showed from research that most people know they are sitting in the silence zone but nevertheless choose not to adhere to the rules. As a result, an even better visibility won't help according to them.

Hello V for souVlaki, welcome to the NS Community. 

So you take 10 trains a week and every time it is noisy in the silence zones? I am sorry that there are so many people not respecting the request to be quiet there. There has been a trial with making the sings more visible, but that did not made people behave differently. I can process the request for more checks. I don't think fines will be introduced.

Reputatie 7

It's already possible to fine people ;)

€140,-

Badge

Humor over de stiltecoupe

https://www.facebook.com/NPO3/videos/187537162553099/

Reputatie 3

Humor over de stiltecoupe

https://www.facebook.com/NPO3/videos/187537162553099/

In English please!

Badge +3

Juist.. 

I just had another experience in silence zone, so i made a complain here https://community.ns.nl/in-de-trein-11/please-make-silence-and-open-signs-more-visible-67222 the only realised now that there were couple of similar complains.
I know they can’t really do anything legally, but I really hope they can make the signs a lot more visible. 

Badge +3

The vast majority of people (research says over 95%) know very well when they are in a work/silence area but thy just don’t care. Same for 1st class.

Reageer