beantwoord

Silent coupe in Sprinter??

• 21 augustus 2019
  • 14 reacties
  • 481 Bekeken

I travelled today with Sprinter on my way home and had a business conversation on the phone using my earphones. It was not busy at all and I probably had only 1 person in front of me. When the conductor checked the cards, he warned me that it is not allowed to use earphones but only to listen on the phone coz it is one of the rules in the train. I was surprised by this. WHEN DID THE SPRINTER HAD A SILENT COUPE?? Honestly, I can assure that my voice was not loud at all and there was not a lot of people sitting close to me. I just found it odd. I'm traveling all the time with train for work and I never had this kind of experience. It gave me the impression that his warning was kind of discrimination. Such an uncomfortable trip!
icon

Beste antwoord door Robert B 21 augustus 2019, 19:32

Welcome to the NS Community!

Very odd indeed. Possibly he meant that you were being impolite by not removing your earphones when he came to check your card? I don't know of any specific rule about that in trains, though.
Bekijk origineel

14 reacties

Badge +3
Welcome to the NS Community!

Very odd indeed. Possibly he meant that you were being impolite by not removing your earphones when he came to check your card? I don't know of any specific rule about that in trains, though.
Well, I already took out my earphones when he checked the person in front of me coz I didn't want to be disrespectful by ignoring him when he greeted me and I even greeted him back. I felt really uncomfortable after that and planned on talking to him but then I couldn't find him anymore due to the train being packed with tourists when it reached Schipol. (The tourists even had louder voices than me.)
Due to engineering works, there are intercity trains used in some of the Sprinter services around Schiphol, so it is perfectly possible that you were actually sitting in a silent coach/coupe.
I know which Sprinter you actually meant. The Sprinter I was in was the one without the toilet.
Badge +3
In that case, don't worry about it.

There simply is no rule about holding a phone to your ear when making a call. Ear buds or (wireless or wired) headphones/headsets will do fine.

If hands-free calling is mandatory in cars (and since recently, when riding a bicycle) why should the opposite be the case on a train?

I guess the conductor just had an 'off day', or a recent encounter with a less polite person. If you were in a silence zone/carriage, phone calls are not allowed at all, even when holding the phone to your ear and whispering.
Badge +3
It's less odd than you think. This it what it says on the "Welcome to NS" sticker in every train:

Source: https://www.ns.nl/binaries/_ht_1527840942226/content/assets/ns-nl/stationsinformatie/huisregels-ns.pdf

Please note: "(...) and you should not disturb your fellow passengers with noisy conversations (including phones) or loud music anywhere in the train."
It sounds to me that @janeaintnoplain met someone from NS who actually knows the regulations. I don't think it was about the earphones. It was more about the noise level of the phone call. Some subtleties may have been lost in the conversation with a non-native speaker of English.
Reputatie 3
I don't think it was about the earphones. It was more about the noise level of the phone call.

Wat een aanname! Alsof je er zelf bij was!
Badge +3
As far as I can read.. there was a conductor who said something about earphones, and told @janeaintnoplain to hold the phone to the ear instead of something else... 🤔
So far, so wrong...

I don't think it was about the earphones. It was more about the noise level of the phone call.Wat een aanname! Alsof je er zelf bij was!

haha true that! As I've said I was not speaking loud at all because I've been doing this the whole time and most of the time in the train.
Reputatie 6
Badge
It gave me the impression that his warning was kind of discrimination.

Why Discrimination ? @janeaintnoplain
Badge +3
I know from personal experience that phone calls get much louder when using earphones. I have noticed this when other people are calling while having earphones in. But I've also been made aware of my own noise when I made a call using earphones. I never thought it would make such a big difference but it does. I think this is what the conductor on the train tried to point out.

It gave me the impression that his warning was kind of discrimination.Why Discrimination ? @janeaintnoplain

Because when there were other passengers who had louder voices than me were not prompted but only me. 😏
I know from personal experience that phone calls get much louder when using earphones. I have noticed this when other people are calling while having earphones in. But I've also been made aware of my own noise when I made a call using earphones. I never thought it would make such a big difference but it does. I think this is what the conductor on the train tried to point out.

Trust me, if it was real loud talk, the person on the other line could've had complained already. 😉
Reputatie 1

It gave me the impression that his warning was kind of discrimination.Why Discrimination ? @janeaintnoplain
Because when there were other passengers who had louder voices than me were not prompted but only me. 😏

At the time, was the conductor around when the other people were talking?

Reageer