beantwoord

The new SNG trains - loud fan every 30 seconds

• 8 maart 2019
  • 4 reacties
  • 161 Bekeken

• Op het juiste spoor
  • 1 reactie
Firstly, my apologies for using English 🙂 - Secondly, inside the carriage of the new SNG trains runs a very loud fan every 30 seconds. The SPR trains didn’t have this, or perhaps it was more discreet? What is the purpose of this fan? It’s becomes mildly irritating after a while. Thank you!
icon

Beste antwoord door Jeroen 8 maart 2019, 19:10

The compressor is placed outside the train and not in the train, in the train there are little fan's for the climate control and they are noisy. The compressor doesn't run every 30 seconds.

The NS knows this problem in de SNG and are looking for a solution for it.
Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Badge +3
Welcome to the NS Community!

This is probably the compressor that fills the air tank (used for the brakes etc.).

When the pressure reaches 10 Bar (145 PSI) it then continues to run until it reaches operating temperature, releasing the extra air.

This is by design and prevents wear of the compressor, according to CAF (the manufacturer of the SNG). You probaby hear it in the front or rear end of the trains.
Thanks and I agree, it does sound more like a compressor than a fan. I’m sure there’s a good technical reason this isn’t located outside the carriage. Thanks for your response.
Badge
The compressor is placed outside the train and not in the train, in the train there are little fan's for the climate control and they are noisy. The compressor doesn't run every 30 seconds.

The NS knows this problem in de SNG and are looking for a solution for it.
Badge +3
If it's the compressor, It's located somewhere on top of the train (in the part where the toilet is).

The noise is even louder at the platform, according to other topics (in Dutch):

https://community.ns.nl/in-de-trein-11/het-geluid-van-een-combimagnetron-in-nieuwe-trein-wat-is-dat-56086#post376768
https://community.ns.nl/dienstregeling-59/sng-49925/index3.html#post363900

The descriptions vary from a microwave/combi-oven heating up to a vacuum cleaner/hoover of a bunch of leaf blowers ;-)

Edit: Thanks @Jeroen for clarifying the inside cabin noise!

Reageer