beantwoord

Amsterdam Centraal-Berlin HBF

• 1 maart 2021
  • 8 reacties
  • 287 Bekeken

Me and my girlfriend were travelling from Rotterdam Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal and then with direct train to Berlin HBF on 14 February 2021. We took the train in amsterdam and were heading Berlin HBF in direct train without any changes in 1st class. Just before the dutch-german border we were told that the journey will finish in Bad Bentheim and then we can travel on our own with local trains. to reach Berlin. 
Then we were forced to take the trains to reach further stations and we continued to plan on our own how to get to berlin using german regional trains which did not have 1st class wagons and we were forces to change in: osnabruck and hannover to finally reach berlin with huge delay.
The NS offered us 25% back of the price of tickets what states the amount for second class journey. When we asked for a full refund which is stated in EUROPEAN TRAIN LAW (Single European Railway Directive 2012 2012/34/EU) when the trip is cancelled. Then we were offered 20euros voucher for international journey with NS as a recompensate for change of the train class. “the inconvenience” which we faced was 3 more changes instead of none changes in original trip and travelling with heavy luggage on crowded regionaltrains with open compartments.

In last correspondence we were instructed that if we got back to Rotterdam we will be able to get a refund what is ridiculuous because we were informed just before we passed the dutch-german border. We were not given any chance to make our decisions because we were already in train with planned further trip.

In this case the ns customer service is trying to convince us that nothing bad happened at all and act as a monopolist who use their power to force us to close the case on their conditions. I feel very bad with this experience and I do not want to travel with this company anymore.

icon

Beste antwoord door Sascha NS 1 maart 2021, 19:48

Good evening tomek.bartkowski. Welcome to the NS Community.

As far as I've understood (from a colleague) the 25% refund was issued because you wouldn't have encountered a significant enough delay (on paper) to refund the entire ticket. I've been advised to refer you to this form on which you can file a complaint, including the message you've placed here. Your claim will be reviewed and further communication about the issue will be per email. This gives you the option of "back and forth” if need be. Sadly I can't help you with this because NS International is a departement on which the Community Moderators aren't active. Not at this level anyway. My apologies!

Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Good evening tomek.bartkowski. Welcome to the NS Community.

As far as I've understood (from a colleague) the 25% refund was issued because you wouldn't have encountered a significant enough delay (on paper) to refund the entire ticket. I've been advised to refer you to this form on which you can file a complaint, including the message you've placed here. Your claim will be reviewed and further communication about the issue will be per email. This gives you the option of "back and forth” if need be. Sadly I can't help you with this because NS International is a departement on which the Community Moderators aren't active. Not at this level anyway. My apologies!

Reputatie 4

The problems are obviously caused by the German railways (Deutsche Bahn). not the Dutch. .. Because you reached eventually your destination complete refund is out of the question, I can't find such a rule in your link to Directive 2012. The trip has been changed, but not cancelled. 

Excuse me, what do you mean „changed but not cancelled”? When the trip starts in point A (amsterdam centraal) and should finish without changes in point B (Berlin HBF) according to what I have chosen before the trip. In fact the trip finished in some German village and then I need to look for connections on my own because nobody cares about that what is it if not cancellation?

If you pay for some sort of service you expect it to  happen in the way you ordered not in the way you desperately need to figure out on your own during the trip.

And tell me what are these vouchers for if I do not want to experience this kind of bad service anymore?

Blaming it on DB is obviously not my problem as NS is the ticket issuer not DB and they redirect all the claims to NS. So if we go further, maybe it is my fault somehow that I wanted to travel? 
It is so disrespectful and humilating that I need to worry about that and read comments like this.

Reputatie 7
Badge +1

What Arend7 means is that you had decided to continue your journey when you were informed that your original itinerary had been canceled. Therefore, your journey had changed (you took alternative trains to reach your destination) instead of being cancelled (ending the trip in Bad Bentheim). You will only receive a partial or full refund if you decide to cancel your trip completely (see below).

Your passenger rights are stated in EU1371/2007, not Directive 2012/34/EU as that one concerns the usage of railway lines by railway operators. A simple version of your rights can be found here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/rail/index_en.htm

Those rights state that:

If you decide to continue your journey as planned or accept alternative transport to your destination, you may be entitled to compensation.

Compensation – cancellation

• 25% of the ticket price if the delay is between 1 and 2 hours
  • 50% if the ticket price if the delay is more than 2 hours

It is not mandatory to offer refunds or compensation for ‘inconvenience’, that is up to the railway operator to decide, as you already are covered by EU law.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

The fact that there weren't first class coaches available in the regional trains is irrelevant. The compensation for the delay is calculated on the actual ticket price. The refund offered is 25% of the first class tickets.

Badge +3

The fact that there weren't first class coaches available in the regional trains is irrelevant. The compensation for the delay is calculated on the actual ticket price. The refund offered is 25% of the first class tickets.

@tomek.bartkowski speaks of ‘a huge delay’, so the refund should be 50% of the first class price but NS only offered 25% of the 2nd class price? That is inconsistent.

Additionally, €20 vouchers were offered for lack of first class in the alternative trains. I assume you were allowed to take those trains without buying additional tickets?

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

If the delay was under 2 hours, a 25% refund is correct. The vouchers are a nice gesture.

If you go to a restaurant and order a meal worth 100 euros consisting of 4 courses, you receive soup, and then you are kicked out of the restaurant for unknown reason. After 40 minutes waiting outsite, you need to get in once again and you receive a hot dog, then you need to change table twice and rceive a sandwich so finally you can go to overcrowded part where they serve desserts. You desperately grab some melted icecream and leave. 
Later on you need to claim your rights and read all the comments of random people claiming that in fact you satisfied your hunger so you should be happy that you ate hotdogs and they want to give you voucher to the same restaurant to eat hot dogs once again. Thanks NS it was not a pleasure, and stay the worst hotdogmaker in NL (because you are the only one).

Reageer