beantwoord

Border travel for Interrail trips - Outbound/Inbound Trips

Hello,

I plan to make an Interrail trip later this summer but this will be divided on weekends. I am aware of non-travel within Netherlands, therefore I have questions.

1.- I have Global Pass with only 1 out/inbound travel from here, do these must be on the very first day you start using such Pass and the very last day you stop using it?

1b.- Following up on previous question, if not, then I guess I can use these out/inbound any day the Pass is valid on - second, third, fourth week - won't matter as long as they are used only once.

2.- In between the big trip where I will use out/inbound trains, I would travel out and must cover my way out/in myself. Where is considered the border station, the last Dutch station or the first German station? This so I can look until what point book seats using my Pass and then make my own covered travels.

2b.- As example, Intercity Berlin stops last in Netherlands by Hengelo, so: Use OV to make trip Amsterdam - Hengelo and book seats with Pass from Hengelo to Berlin?

Thank you for your help,
Alberto
icon

Beste antwoord door Jouke NS 7 juni 2018, 15:26

Hi jesra86,

Q1: The answer iMark gave you, is correct. The information he gave you is coming from the Interrail website.

Q2a: Your Interrail ticket is only valid at the border and beyond. This means that your ticket is not valid between the last station you see in the Netherlands and the border. If you use the first station in Germany, it is going to be all fine. You can inform us when booking the ticket that you use a Bahncard, which would give you a 100% discount.

Q2b: When travelling from Amsterdam to Berlin, you might want to order a ticket through our NS international website with a seat assignment. In this case you can also inform us that you have a Bahncard for the discount. With this ticket you will not have to check in or out in the Netherlands and you are sure you can get a seat 😉!

Bekijk origineel

23 reacties

1a. According to the terms and conditions: first and last day only.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/what-is-interrail/travel-your-own-country
2a. Your pass is valid from the border when you return to Germany.
2b. You don't need to buy a ticket if you have OV. Your whole journey is covered either side of the border. You can make a separate seat reservation from Amsterdam Centraal to Berlin.
Reputatie 3
Hello jesra86, and welcome to our NS Community.

Do you find iMark's answers to be sufficient? If you have any further questions, please let us know.
iMark schreef:

2a. Your pass is valid from the border when you return to Germany.
2b. You don't need to buy a ticket if you have OV. Your whole journey is covered either side of the border. You can make a separate seat reservation from Amsterdam Centraal to Berlin.

I am a Nederland resident, I am not returning to Germany. I am not sure I follow this one.

Also, how is that my OV card will cover the german side too, are there NS check-out poles in Germany?
I thought I had deduced from your first post that you were going to make several trips to Germany over a couple of weekends. For the first and last trip you would use your Interrail Global Pass for your leg to and from Germany. For the other legs you intend to use your OV Chipkaart.

Your situation throws up an interesting complication. Normally you'd have to buy an international ticket with 100% reduction in NL to a station in Germany. You use the international ticket to open gates at stations. You don't check in or check out. Your OV Chipkaart will show that you're entitled for 100% reduction in NL. However, you do not need to pay anything in Germany because your Interrail is valid from the border. Unfortunately it's technically not possible to buy a ticket from a station in NL to Bad Bentheim (first station in Germany) with both 100% reduction in NL and 100% reduction in Germany. The cheapest option is to pay €1,40 for a ticket to Bad Bentheim with 100% reduction in NL and 50% in Germany, costing €1,40.
You can book this ticket through www.nsinternational.nl

You end up with screen like this:

If anyone like @Thom has a better suggestion that would be appreciated!
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
Remember this price to Bad Bentheim is not valid taking the ICBerlin. It is only when you are using the regional train from Hengelo to Bad Bentheim. You will pay € 6,00 or, with reduction of 25 percent € 4,50, taking the train to Berlin. It is faster though.

iMark is correct 😉
Thanks for the confirmation, @Thom

I don't there's a problem because the Interrail ticket is valid from the border and the international ticket with 100% reduction is valid to the border. So I don't see why you can't use the cheaper ticket in the IC Berlin. It's only necessary to buy the cheapest possible international ticket in order to avoid having to check in and check out with the OV Studentenkaart. 🤔
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
I do not think so, you need a valid ticket. When you buy the cheap one it is noted on your ticket that you can only use it:

Via Bad Bentheim(Gr) Regional train Hengelo

But you have two valid tickets: one to get you to the border with the OV-Studentenkaart 100% reduction and the Interrail from the border. It's only an administrative exercise to avoid checking in and out with the OV Studentenkaart.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
There is a difference in price. The regional train is cheaper but there is an explicit warning on the card, that this one is only valid in these regional trains. ICBerlin is not. In the Netherlands you can take almost any train and at the same price. It does not work that way in Germany - and the actual trip is in this country. The normal price second class with ICBerlin is in Germany six euro's for this trip, with a student card for the Netherlands. It is the way the cookie crumbles.

I do travel first class, and the price difference is about six euro's when I take the regional train. ICBerlin however is a lot faster, there is no waiting for connections, and it gives more ease. Mostly I travel a lot further, but a friend of mine lives there, still there is no thinking about it. I can imagine a student does, however.
But Alberto won't be using the ticket on the German part of the journey anyway. He will be using his Interrail Global Pass which is valid from the border.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
In that case he travels free, because of his student card in the Netherlands and his global pass in Germany. As both reduction in the Netherlands and in Germany, he does not need to buy an additional card, it will not be supplied and his journey is legally paid. It is allowed.

I was reacting on:

Unfortunately it's technically not possible to buy a ticket from a station in NL to Bad Bentheim (first station in Germany) with both 100% reduction in NL and 100% reduction in Germany. The cheapest option is to pay €1,40 for a ticket to Bad Bentheim with 100% reduction in NL and 50% in Germany, costing €1,40.

But there is no need to act like this. TS does not has to pay for it. Both cards together make a legal ticket. It works that way and is accepted. Besides this special situation you cannot travel with a regional card in ICBerlin.
That still doesn't solve the technical issue of not being able to check out en route to Germany or coming back from Germany.
Reputatie 4
Hi jesra86,

Q1: The answer iMark gave you, is correct. The information he gave you is coming from the Interrail website.

Q2a: Your Interrail ticket is only valid at the border and beyond. This means that your ticket is not valid between the last station you see in the Netherlands and the border. If you use the first station in Germany, it is going to be all fine. You can inform us when booking the ticket that you use a Bahncard, which would give you a 100% discount.

Q2b: When travelling from Amsterdam to Berlin, you might want to order a ticket through our NS international website with a seat assignment. In this case you can also inform us that you have a Bahncard for the discount. With this ticket you will not have to check in or out in the Netherlands and you are sure you can get a seat 😉!
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
iMark schreef:

That still doesn't solve the technical issue of not being able to check out en route to Germany or coming back from Germany.

That is correct. you do check in to make a card valid but you do not check out. It is not consisent, but it is forgiven in the case you have a reduction of 100 percent. That is why it is allowed. The elderly e.g. do need to check in with the so called Keuzedag but do not need tot check out under these circumstances.
NSInternational has to supply tickets when two adjacent countries give a reduction of 100 percent.
Guys, although I appreciate the info, I must say I am no student with free travelling OV, I only have Daluren card and entitled to 40% discount.

As for the outbound and inbound, the rule is a little ambiguous as for the first and last travel day. Simply reading you would understand it just like that, but as in my case, there could be many travels done, in and out, and each could be picked as individual travel plan. I would rather save this advantage for a trip using the Thalys or Eurostar on the third week of the month's validity than on an Intercity where I can use my OV with discount on the first week.

I will do then the travels until the point of border station IN Germany and go further from there using my Pass.

Thank you
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
With a reduction of 40 percent in the Netherlands there is no other choice. Use 40 percent reduction for the Netherlands, and the appropriate reduction for Germany.
Glad the issue is clear now. Safe travels with your Interrail, Alberto.
I just noticed NS International is charging for free children. Supposedly on both sides of the border, children under 11 are free accompanied by a paying adult.

I enter my proper discounts for both sides when I try to book for myself, and I get a discount price. But when I add my kid, the price goes up. What is up with that?

Also, probably going against a wall here, but children must have a ticket per se?

Thanks
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
You need to order a Railrunnercard for your child. The price is €2,50 for the Netherlands. Children under the age of 12 are free in Belgium accompanied by an adult, but not in the Netherlands.

An e-ticket is possible as well as a Railrunner ticket from the ticketmachine.

https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/s/railrunner
No, this is serious. What they are charging is more than mere €2,50.

Can someone from NS answer to this?

Reputatie 7
As it shows in your journey the Bahncard & NS discount didn't apply.. Strange..
To be fair, I've chosen same fare type now. It is even more...

jesra86 has started a new topic for this particular question, so we'll keep the information regarding that questions there!

Reageer