beantwoord

Dutch Flyer Ticket / Gouda–Alphen

• 29 augustus 2019
  • 19 reacties
  • 445 Bekeken

Hoi allemaal. So the Dutch Flyer Ticket says that it is valid to/from all NS-stations. What about the R-net line between Gouda and Alphen a/d Rijn? NS runs that line, NS fare-rules apply on that line, but that line is not exactly an NS service...
icon

Beste antwoord door Slidestops 29 augustus 2019, 20:27

As far as I know the ticket you will recieve is something like the one below.

Tickets via Stena used to be valid to all stations in the Netherlands. This changed however.

Trains on Gouda - Alphen are not branded NS, but are operated by NS. So I would see no problem in using it over there.

Our information about this tickets says: Not valid in trains of: Arriva, Breng, Connexxion, Blauwnet, Keolis Nederland or any other Bus/Tram/Metro company. R-Net is not named in this list.

As our own information about the TAG-line says: All subscriptions and tickets valid for NS, are valid for Gouda - Alphen.

Maybe @Loes has more information, but I think the above is right.

@Robert B Usually we know as much or even more about tickets, compared to the train manager/conductor 🙂
Bekijk origineel

19 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Good question. NS is the formal operator of this line, but it has subcontracted the actual execution of the services to Abellio. The reason is that union rules within NS forbid oneman operation.

R-Net is not a company but just a (commercial) quality label.
Badge +3
Edit.

Deleted because of updated information.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
The Dutch Flyer Tickets are valid to all stations in NL. It doesn't matter which train operator runs the services. So your ticket is valid between Gouda and Alphen a/d Rijn.
No, in the "terms and conditions" is explicitly stated that the ticket is only valid for NS and not for other train operators in the Netherlands like Arriva, Connexxion, Breng, etc.

So the question is: is Alphen-Gouda a NS-line or not?
Badge +3
Only NS is mentioned as being in the partnership, but this page says the following:

For just £55* single, Dutchflyer is the affordable and comfortable way to travel from London or East Anglia to any city in Holland with an inclusive combination train and ferry ticket.

This suggests that it's also valid for regional trains (e.g. Arriva, Blauwnet, Connexxion, Rnet etc.) and by confirmation from Arriva, even to Aachen, Leer (D) and a few other German stations for which NS tickets are also valid.
Badge +3
From the terms and conditions:
"Please note, Rail & Sail train tickets are not valid on private carriers including: Arriva, Breng, Connexxion, Syntus and Thalys. There is an additional charge for Intercity Direct and ICE trains."

R-Net is not specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions. So you would think the tickets are valid between Gouda and Alphen.

The Stena Line website is very confusing. It mentions "Any Dutch station", which is very odd since dozens of Dutch stations aren't served by NS.
Hallo Hilário and welcome at our community,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but according to their website you may travel to Hoek van Holland Haven. I would like to advice you to reach their customer service to figure this out.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
@Robert B
See my previous post. It's explicitly mentioned that this ticket is NOT valid with other train operators but only with NS.
Badge +3
I didn't see your reaction before I posted mine. In that case it's a difficult one, something with 'hoofdrailnet' perhaps, and if that line (Alphen a/d Rijn - Gouda) is part of that?
Badge +3
The Dutch Stena website is bit clearer (for booking a Ferry and train ticket from NL):
"Let op: uw ticket is alleen geldig in treinen van de NS (exclusief Intercity Direct) en Greater Anglia. Voor trajecten van overige (particuliere) ondernemingen dient u een apart vervoersbewijs te kopen."

"Please note: your ticket is only valid for NS trains (excluding Intercity Direct) and Greater Anglia. For journeys with other (private) operators you need to buy a separate ticket."

NS however states on their website that they operate the R-Net trains between Gouda and Alphen under the R-Net banner. So you would think that a ticket that is valid for NS only is also valid for the Gouda to Alphen line.
https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/rnet
Badge +3
@Robert B
Gouda - Alphen is not part of the HRN.

@Erryt NS
The journey from Hoek van Holland to Schiedam Centrum by substitute bus service is included in the Dutch flyer ticket. When the metro opens the Dutch Flyer ticket will be valid on the metro too. This has already been confirmed by Stena customer service.
Badge +3
Wow, thanks @iMark for all the investigation work!

I myself wouldn't worry about the Alphen - Gouda line, because ticket checks there are very rare, and the personnel doing that (NS V&S, safety and service) will usually not have a clue what a Dutchflyer ticket is, and will let you get away with it on that (very short) line.

Just show them the page that says any city in Holland on your phone and you will be safe. Or do they, Rail Cop @Slidestops? 😅
Reputatie 7
As far as I know the ticket you will recieve is something like the one below.

Tickets via Stena used to be valid to all stations in the Netherlands. This changed however.

Trains on Gouda - Alphen are not branded NS, but are operated by NS. So I would see no problem in using it over there.

Our information about this tickets says: Not valid in trains of: Arriva, Breng, Connexxion, Blauwnet, Keolis Nederland or any other Bus/Tram/Metro company. R-Net is not named in this list.

As our own information about the TAG-line says: All subscriptions and tickets valid for NS, are valid for Gouda - Alphen.

Maybe @Loes has more information, but I think the above is right.

@Robert B Usually we know as much or even more about tickets, compared to the train manager/conductor 🙂
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
If it is still a one-time chipcard like the one above, there should not be a problem with Alphen - Gouda as the regular NS chip poles are used there. Compared with Keolis, Arriva etc that have their own poles/gates.
Badge +3
Does anyone know when the situation changed that these tickets are no longer valid to all stations in NL but just to the stations served by NS?

The information on the website the Man in Seat 61 has to be updated too.
Dank jullie wel allemaal voor jullie antwoorden! Dank je moderator!

It is still not entirely clear to me, but let me just summarise what I have learnt.

Dutch Flyer Ticket should be fine on the Gouda–Alphen line because:
  • The line is operated by NS, the train sets have a (small) NS logo on it, and the ticket says it is valid on all trains operated by NS
  • The card readers on that line are the usual NS card readers, and usual NS fare rules applies on that line
  • (There is hardly anyone checking tickets on the trains on that line)
Dutch Flyer Ticket is perhaps not valid on the Gouda–Alphen line because:
  • That line is not part of the NS main line network
  • That line is actually operated by Abellio and not NS
Are any of your replies official answers from NS? Or maybe I should ask through official channels? (Looking at other discussions here, Stena Line always delegates such questions to NS, so I won't ask Stena Line at this stage.)
Badge +3
I would think that @Slidestops answer covers it all. Maybe moderator @Erryt NS could ask for official confirmation.

The Gouda to Alphen service is an interesting case because at the moment this is the only regional service operated by NS (Abellio) under the R-Net banner.

For ticketing purposes the line is fully integrated with the rest of the NS network. If you travel with the Dutch OV-chipkaart on any service operated by NS to any station on the Gouda to Alphen line you don't have touch out and touch in at either Gouda or Alphen.
Here's an example for a journey from Schiedam Centrum to Waddinxveen.

Ik heb antwoord gekregen van NS. (Dankjewel RM!)
The Dutch Flyer Ticket is valid on the Gouda – Alphen aan den Rijn line:

Hello Hilário,

Apologies for the late response! I've just read through the topic and a iMark and Slidestops say, you can use your ticket on that line. Since R-net is not named as one the trains you cannot take. In the off chance you are not allowed to travel with that ticket on that line, be sure to message me. Then I will refund any extra costs made. ^RM
Badge +3
There's one other snag however when ^RM states that you can travel on trains branded R-Net because they're not mentioned in the list of operators that are excluded. There is another line branded R-Net (Dordrecht to Geldermalsen) and the operator Qbuzz is not mentioned as one of the private operators excluded from the Dutchflyer ticket.
NS should communicate this exception with Stena Line.

The rule apparently is that the moment you have to check out at NS and check in (in standard English that would be "touch out" and "touch in") with another operator the Dutchflyer ticket isn't valid.

There are now over 140 stations in NL that are no longer served by NS and you can't use the Dutchflyer ticket to travel the full distance to any of those stations.
😨 I didn't think about that when I got that response from NS. Dankjewel iMark. Ik ga een e-mail sturen naar NS en Stena Line.

Reageer