beantwoord

Dutch Flyer Ticket / Rotterdam Metro

• 10 februari 2017
  • 13 reacties
  • 580 Bekeken

The 'Dutch Flyer Ticket' is a joint ticket allowing travel between the east of England and any NS train station by way of Hoek van Holland - it is jointly offered by Anglia Rail & Stena Line & NS.
The train line between Hoek and Rotterdam will become part of the Rotterdam Metro when the works are finished in September.
Will the Dutch Flyer ticket still be valid for travel from Hoek to Scheidam Centrum or Rotterdam Centraal or will this be a separate ticket?

(apoligies for writing in English - I love The Netherlands, but cannot speak your language!)
icon

Beste antwoord door iMark 10 februari 2017, 15:31

I suggest that you contact Stena Line for an answer to this question.
http://www.stenaline.nl/en-GB-nl/contact

The Stena Line website is not clear about through ticketing from the 1st of April.
http://www.stenaline.nl/en-GB-nl/england/rail-and-sail/timetable

Between April and September 2017 the RET (Rotterdam Transport) will operate a substitute bus service between Hoek van Holland and Schiedam Centrum. From September the RET metros are planned to start operating.
Bekijk origineel

13 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +3
I suggest that you contact Stena Line for an answer to this question.
http://www.stenaline.nl/en-GB-nl/contact

The Stena Line website is not clear about through ticketing from the 1st of April.
http://www.stenaline.nl/en-GB-nl/england/rail-and-sail/timetable

Between April and September 2017 the RET (Rotterdam Transport) will operate a substitute bus service between Hoek van Holland and Schiedam Centrum. From September the RET metros are planned to start operating.
Thank you iMark - but I did contact Stena Line by telephone for information, and they told me this was a matter for NS !
I have bought a Dutch Flyer ticket to travel to Utrecht for 21st April, they are still available.
I'm not sure whether this special ticket is valid at the RET. You can't open their gates with it, because of the obligation to check in or out to get the gates open. Many changes have to be made in a very short time and I'm afraid that NS and RET won't do anything about it.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Thank you iMark - but I did contact Stena Line by telephone for information, and they told me this was a matter for NS !
I have bought a Dutch Flyer ticket to travel to Utrecht for 21st April, they are still available.

Maybe they didn't understand the question at Stena Line. They must be aware of the fact that there will be a different operator from April 1 and that tickets that are currently valid on NS trains will no longer be valid.

There could of course be the option they will provide you with a ticket for the RET on the ferry. But that only works for travellers coming from England.

Please be aware of the fact that your journey to Utrecht will take at least 30 minutes longer because of the substitute bus service and the extra change at Schiedam Centrum.
Ah Thanks iMark - I was wondering how much longer the journey might be.
I think Stena did understand the question, but didn't want to think about it - and preferred to pass the buck! I will try writing to Stena. I guess the problem is that this is a very old arrangement that hasn't needed to change in many years, and now 'no-one'is prepared to own any changes to the system.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
I wouldn't be surprised if this special ticket is discontinued given the fact that sales numbers are anyhow minimal.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
I wouldn't be surprised if this special ticket is discontinued given the fact that sales numbers are anyhow minimal.The fact that MikeFromLFE was able to buy a ticket for the 12th of April shows that your assumption is incorrect. If Stena Line had wanted to stop the arrangement, the 1st of April 2017 would have been a sensible cutoff date.

I suppose there won't be any physical issues with ticketing until September. The RET drivers on the substitute bus service could be instructed to convey Stena Line passengers holding Dutch Flyer tickets.

From September the situation will be more complicated when the metro starts operating. A chip card will be needed to travel on the metro. You will need one to leave the metro station through the turnstile at Schiedam Centrum (or another metro station). Potentially this will give Stena Line and RET time to work out a solution for the ticketing.

It's baffling that Stena Line hasn't worked out the practicalities with RET. It's been known for years that the operation of NS trains between Hoek van Holland and Schiedam Centrum would cease on the 31st of March 2017.

I know from personal experience that currently for short term bookings Stena Line can't send you the tickets in time to your home address. You can buy a single train ticket to Hoek van Holland and pick up your tickets for the ferry and train in England there. They reimburse you in cash for the ticket you bought to travel from your departure station in NL to Hoek van Holland. A similar reimbursement scheme could be implemented for metro tickets. Of course it would be much easier if a metro ticket was included in the travel documents.

The Dutch Flyer arrangement is much more popular in England than in NL so there is no commercial reason to stop it.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Ah Thanks iMark - I was wondering how much longer the journey might be.
I think Stena did understand the question, but didn't want to think about it - and preferred to pass the buck! I will try writing to Stena. I guess the problem is that this is a very old arrangement that hasn't needed to change in many years, and now 'no-one'is prepared to own any changes to the system.

The substitute bus service from Hoek van Holland will run every 30 minutes and will take around 30 minutes from Hoek van Holland Haven to Schiedam Centrum. It's bus number 711 (non stop from Hoek van Holland to Schiedam). The travel time is a couple of minutes longer than the current trains. But there is of course the extra change at Schiedam because the buses don't run to Rotterdam Centraal.

There's a leaflet in Dutch about the substitute bus services.
https://www.ret.nl/fileadmin/user_upload/Documenten/PDF/Informatie_folders__Digitale_borden_-_reclame_/RET_folder_HL_overkoepelend_online.pdf
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
The fact that MikeFromLFE was able to buy a ticket for the 12th of April shows that your assumption is incorrect. If Stena Line had wanted to stop the arrangement, the 1st of April 2017 would have been a sensible cutoff date.
I'm not so sure Stena Line is aware of any consequences for tickets when the RET takes over the line. It seems to me that there's nothing arranged with RET so I wouldn't surprised if the ticket is not accepted in the bus.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
I have sent a message to the Stena Line Customer Service about the validity of Dutch Flyer tickets (sold as Ferry en Trein in the Netherlands) on the RET substitute bus service from April 1st and on the RET metro from September 2017. I will post another message when I have received a response from Stena Line.

Stena Line have posted this message on their website (both in Dutch and English). They are certainly aware of the situation from the 1st of April but there is no mention of the validity of trough Ferry and Train tickets on the RET services. The amended timetable from the 1st of April hasn't been published yet either.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3
I have received the following answer from Stena Line:

Obviously something has been arranged between Stena Line and RET and the Ferry and Train tickets will be valid on the RET services. Despite Tamzin's pessimism about the continuation of the Dutch Flyer ticket, it will remain as an offer, even after September 2017.
Bedankt voor de moeite iMark. Top!
Thank you for your persistence! Top!

Reageer