beantwoord

ICE International NL->DE - Bahncard100+Dal Vrij?

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question in English ..

I'm moving to NL for work from the UK and I'm planning to take the route Amsterdam (NL) to Limburg an der Lahn (DE) via ICE International (+ICE connection in Germany) twice a week to visit my partner there. It seems quite cost effective given the price of a normal ticket to consider a Bahncard 100 for unlimited travel in Germany.

Can I pair this with an NS season ticket in NL (such as the Dal Vrij for weekend/off peak travel) + the ICE supplement for the Dutch portion of the journey? Has anyone done this kind of combination, and is it allowed?

Thanks for your help!
icon

Beste antwoord door Thom 4 april 2019, 15:51

It is allowed and possible. Actually these are two independent subscriptions and they do not interfere. You can come from Germany without touching in with Dalvrij in the Netherlands and there is no need to leave the train in Arnhem. There are no tickets for 100 percent reduction in this case, showing both cards is sufficient. You need to touch in when you depart from the Netherlands. Touch out right away at the other side of the gate. Not touching out is no problem, as you are traveling with 100 percent reduction and traveling to a destination outside the Netherlands. But touching in during the peek-hours will charge your card for ten euros. Touching out after shortly you entered the same station will prevent this. In your case it is no fraudulent behaviour. You do not have an international ticket, but are allowed to travel this way. You can also - and better - ask for a key at the station to do this. That is the most decent and prevents you for clarification. Try to avoid discussions.
You still need to make a reservation for your seat in the ICE. Bahncard 100, combined with Dalvrij is cost-effective in your situation.

With Dalvrij you are allowed to travel free in the Dutch peek-hour from 16.00-18.30 as long you are traveling to a destination abroad. In the ICE your Bahncard will prove it, outside this train trainconductors may not be aware of it, but will probably accept.

English is widely spoken in the Netherlands and is allowed here.

Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +4
It is allowed and possible. Actually these are two independent subscriptions and they do not interfere. You can come from Germany without touching in with Dalvrij in the Netherlands and there is no need to leave the train in Arnhem. There are no tickets for 100 percent reduction in this case, showing both cards is sufficient. You need to touch in when you depart from the Netherlands. Touch out right away at the other side of the gate. Not touching out is no problem, as you are traveling with 100 percent reduction and traveling to a destination outside the Netherlands. But touching in during the peek-hours will charge your card for ten euros. Touching out after shortly you entered the same station will prevent this. In your case it is no fraudulent behaviour. You do not have an international ticket, but are allowed to travel this way. You can also - and better - ask for a key at the station to do this. That is the most decent and prevents you for clarification. Try to avoid discussions.
You still need to make a reservation for your seat in the ICE. Bahncard 100, combined with Dalvrij is cost-effective in your situation.

With Dalvrij you are allowed to travel free in the Dutch peek-hour from 16.00-18.30 as long you are traveling to a destination abroad. In the ICE your Bahncard will prove it, outside this train trainconductors may not be aware of it, but will probably accept.

English is widely spoken in the Netherlands and is allowed here.
Thanks, this is really useful!
Badge +3
When traveling to/from abroad, no ICE supplement is needed. This is also the case when traveling in NL only with almost any subscription (e.g. Dal Vrij).

Reageer