beantwoord

Travel from Steenwijk to Aachen with one-way tickets and/or Holland Travel Tickets

• Op het juiste spoor
  • 2 reacties
Hello, my parents plan to travel from Steenwijk to Aachen. They've got 2x one-way tickets and 2 off-peak Holland Travel Tickets, but they are not quite sure how they should use these tickets to take a smooth journey to Germany.
From what I understood so far, it seems that these tickets could only allow them to travel as far as to Heerlen (or the border?), but then they would have to buy another ticket for the journey onwards from Heerlen (or the border?) to Aachen. Is that the case? What if they travel across the border on a Sneltrein operated by Arriva, which normally accepts tickets NS on their trains?

Thank you very much for any kind assistance!
icon

Beste antwoord door Thom 30 mei 2019, 09:53

We probably won't get an OV-chipkaart.

The Holland Travel card is a chipcard, but unlike a regular ov-chipcard, valid for a short period. It is a cardboard card with a small chip. Do not bend.

It is valid from Heerlen to Aachen as well. Aachen is a German city, but up to Aachen it is a Dutch line, with Dutch conditions You will have free access to it, the way Dennistd mentioned,

It is a curious exception.
Bekijk origineel

13 reacties

you can with a hollands this ticket to aachen.
Reputatie 4
To Aachen you can travel by OV-chipkaart (this is one of the two exceptions in cross border travel). Because a Holland Travel Ticket is a so called 'single-use chipkaart' you can simply check in at Steenwijk (NS), check out at Heerlen (NS), check in at Heerlen (Arriva) and check out at Aachen (Arriva).
Thanks for your information. We probably won't get an OV-chipkaart. However, I'm still wondering if the Holland Travel Ticket is valid on Arriva's train from Heerlen to Aachen, or if we have to buy another single ticket for traveling across border.
Badge +3
There's no need to discuss this two topics. Maybe a moderator can merge this one with the other topic.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
We probably won't get an OV-chipkaart.

The Holland Travel card is a chipcard, but unlike a regular ov-chipcard, valid for a short period. It is a cardboard card with a small chip. Do not bend.

It is valid from Heerlen to Aachen as well. Aachen is a German city, but up to Aachen it is a Dutch line, with Dutch conditions You will have free access to it, the way Dennistd mentioned,

It is a curious exception.
Good morning YHlin and welcome to the NS Community!

I see your question has already been answered by other users.

There's no need to discuss this two topics. Maybe a moderator can merge this one with the other topic.
Done. 🙂
Badge +3
Just a small addition. Heerlen to Aachen is a Dutch line until the border at Herzogenrath. From there it's a German line to Aachen. But it's true that the service from Heerlen to Aachen is operated by Arriva, which is Dutch company that honours Dutch tickets all the way to Aachen.

It's similar to Abellio NRW, a German operator that operates the service between Düsseldorf and Arnhem. They honour German tickets as far as Arnhem.
The reisplanner seems not to understand that the journey to Aachen can be made under national tarif-plans, it says the booking needs to be made via NS International and travel cost cannot be calculated

Which is strange, because if I plan to arrive in the same train from Maastricht, the travel cost can be calculated. The journey is still considered an international journey and should be booked with NS International.

To make it even stranger; travelling in the same train from Heerlen, the travel cost cannot be calculated again.

Which brings me to the travel cost; is the Holland Travel ticket the best choice for these travellers or are there better alternatives? This ticket costs €41,- but I think it's much cheaper to buy a single way ticket for this journey (€ 26,50?) or, if the journey can be made off-peak, even a promotional ticket via actievandedag.nl or a similar site.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
With a journey in the planner to a destination abroad, it will always point to NSInternational, even when it is possible to travel free with a chipcard and subscription, daytickets, Railrunners and so on.

NS explained some days ago that is just works that way,
Badge +3
The current situation with the journey planners is the worst of all worlds. The domestic planner has some information for journeys to some stations outside NL. The international journey planner also has information but doesn't have a all domestic fares information.

It seems that the German stations (Herzogenrath, Aachen West and Aachen Hbf) on the Heerlen to Aachen line should be considered Dutch stations for all matters about fares. NS International should consider moving the border point from Herzogenrath gr to Aachen Hbf for international tickets under CIV tariff conditions.
Thank you all very much for your kind responses.
Reputatie 3
You can buy single tickets to all those stations along the line in DE, BUT only from a selected region in NL, where one usually would use that line anyway. i do not know if this include Steenwijk.
BUT then you must use ''other tickets'' ''foreign travel'' ''germany'' and the price will be much higher as 26,50, as then its considered INternational (and thus much higher) fare.
IF you want to save, then you have to buy new tickets locally at an ARRIVA machine in Heerlen (and thus also have to spend 30 mins there and not the very swift transfer)
You can also: travel to Maastricht and use the very frequent bus 400 from Arriva also, which runs direct to Aachen and serves both station and centre there (they are some distance away). Pay for bustickets to driver-with card only. This will be just as quick.
IF Aachen is not the final destination in DE that day, then tell that first and there may be other options.
@imark: hoewel je met de chipkaart zonder problems naar die haltes kan, geldt dit dus niet voor de tariefberekening die NS ervoor hantert-die telt gewoon apart de NL en DE prijs tot/van grenspunt op aan de internationale prijslijst. Dit geldt overigens net zo voor de ARV lijn tot Leer.
Badge +3
@bahnrider Het zou daarom het overwegen waard zijn om de grenspunten tariefmatig eens anders te bekijken. Zo is het Oostenrijkse Salzburg een tariefpunt voor DB.

Reageer