what do you do when the train schedule is against you

• 14 januari 2020
  • 7 reacties
  • 160 Bekeken

So… I have a dilemma here. 
I have NS Flex Daluuren subscription and using the Valleilijn between Amersfoort and Ede-Wageningen. 
As many other people sometimes I also make use of the five minute rule that allows you to check in and still get a discounted or free travel. 
However on this particular traject between Ede-Wageningen and Amersfoort the train leave in every 23 and 53 minutes. So, 1823, 1853 and etc.

My question to all of you guys and gals is what do you do in this situation? if I check in exactly when the train departs (1822) I’m still in the rush hours, although I travel 95% of the journey in off peak. 
Thanks for you reactions. 

7 reacties

Badge +3

If your train leaves at 18:22 and your journey starts in Ede-Wageningen there is no way you can force off-peak or free travel when using NS Flex.

Best is to buy an e-ticket https://www.ns.nl/producten/losse-kaartjes for the part in the rush hour, and then check in after 18:25 with your Flex card/subsciption.

When Ede-Wageningen is not your starting point (but e.g. Arnhem) there should be no problem with Flex. The first check-in counts for your entire trip, even when changing train carriers (NS/Connexxion).

Yeah. It's a f****ed up situation. Ede-W. is a wonder of a station anyway. 

Badge +3

Agree, and apart from the snack bar (if that still exists) not much there except to wait for a train, indeed.

Again, with NS Flex coming from somewhere else and changing to/from Connexxion (Valleilijn) doesn’t matter as long as your first checkin was in off-peak hours.

If checking in after 18:25 and taking a train after that via Utrecht to Amersfoort works better for you, go ahead but be sure to check in at an NS pole/gate then!

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Apart from taking a later train there is the option to get a bike and cycle to Ede-Centrum where the same Valleilijn train leaves at 18:27. It's only a short bike ride.

If your train leaves at 18:22 and your journey starts in Ede-Wageningen there is no way you can force off-peak or free travel when using NS Flex.

Best is to buy an e-ticket https://www.ns.nl/producten/losse-kaartjes for the part in the rush hour, and then check in after 18:25 with your Flex card/subsciption.

When Ede-Wageningen is not your starting point (but e.g. Arnhem) there should be no problem with Flex. The first check-in counts for your entire trip, even when changing train carriers (NS/Connexxion).

If you mean the kebab place, yes. Besides that there is a Kiosk and a lot of students. Makes me wonder what they were thinking when they build that station. Hopefully gets renovation soon. 

Apart from taking a later train there is the option to get a bike and cycle to Ede-Centrum where the same Valleilijn train leaves at 18:27. It's only a short bike ride.

Yeah. Thinking about this now. I have to cycle from Wagenigen anyway to the station. Some five more min wont hurt. Right?

If checking in after 18:25 and taking a train after that via Utrecht to Amersfoort works better for you, go ahead but be sure to check in at an NS pole/gate then!

This would work but the travel time is extra 16 min because of transfer in Utrecht C which makes traveling via Utrecht bit silly because I arrive a little bit earlier that the next stoptrein to Amf. 

First world problems....

Reageer