beantwoord

The two Western Ontario trains in Amsterdam

• 8 september 2014
  • 9 reacties
  • 2317 Bekeken

Hi,

I commute every day between Almere and Amsterdam Central Station.

Each time I pass I see a Western Ontario (commuter?) train in Amsterdam Science Park and another after Muiderpoort.

I would like to know what is the story of these trains.

Thanks,

-Chrystal
icon

Beste antwoord door Edwin 8 september 2014, 11:06

They were originally built and used for the TEE (Trans Europe Express).
As I understood, the plan is to restore this trainset to its original state, but when that starts? I don't know. The trainset has been there for a very long time.

Link: http://www.uwyo.edu/rgodby/trains/northlander.htm
Bekijk origineel

9 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge
They were originally built and used for the TEE (Trans Europe Express).
As I understood, the plan is to restore this trainset to its original state, but when that starts? I don't know. The trainset has been there for a very long time.

Link: http://www.uwyo.edu/rgodby/trains/northlander.htm
Thanks for that. So they are two TEE trains with Northlander livery that were never delivered then?

And so they are now sitting in the railyard in bureaucratic limbo?
Reputatie 7
Badge
Nope, they ran over 4 mln kilometres before being retired from European duty.
After that, they were purchased by ONR.

What the situation is regarding their restoration I really don't know. Maybe the money isn't there yet, maybe something else. Hopefully they can be restored to their original state. They're part of European history.
Thanks for providing Chrysalis some background information, Edwin! :)

P.s. I've replaced this topic to our Op het station subforum.
Actually, as it happens, I know a bit more. 😉 I was aware of only one, although the carriages were originally part of two different TEE-trains but from both trains, the other end got lost due to heavy damage.

Indeed they were built as TEE-trains, jointly built by (then) DutchRail and the Swiss railway company. After almost 20 years of service on the Amsterdam - Zurich and Amsterdam - Paris lines, they were sold to the Canadian railways (Northlander), where they were in service untill the late '90s.

When Northlander took them out of service, the German foundation TEE Classics bought five carriages (of which two with cabin, though none of them have an engine) and brought them to Hamburg. After bankruptcy of this foundation, a new TEE Netherlands Foundation was found and they brought the carriages to Zwolle. They were painted back to TEE colours (after arrival in Zwolle they were still in Northlander colours). As I wrote, they are actually two halfs of two different trains, both sides are without an engine and hence the train cannot run on its own. The plan was to rebuilt a motor coach for this train, but lack of funding prevents this from happening so far. As NedTrain in Zwolle no longer wanted to provide a home for the TEE, it was towed to Amsterdam a few years ago. The current spot is not the best, the train suffers a lot from weather conditions and vandalism. What will happen to it in the future is very unsure. The foundation has a website, http://www.stichtingtee.nl/ which is in Dutch only but works quite well with Google Translate.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
Off topic: In the rare case you have the Marklin model of the Northlander, please notify me ;-)

Dank PPP voor je verhaal! Het is droevig om te zien als je in Amsterdam aankomt dat hij zo verwaarloosd is, en de behandeling door de bekende heldhaftige verfpissertjes heeft hem op geen enkele wijze mooier gemaakt.
Thom, you mean these? http://marketplace.collector-modeltrains.com/offer/details/143387 ;)
I don't have it, no.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
I do, PPP.:D Unfortunately I don't have the Northlander either....

Chrystalis may have seen this one in original...
Well, you know now where to buy it. Only around €400, your children will love it! :)
Did I mention btw that the design of these trains were, as so many Dutch trains from that era, based on the "puppy head" Mat '54?

Reageer