beantwoord

Why are NS employees on Enschede station SO rude??

• 18 april 2015
  • 8 reacties
  • 1043 Bekeken

I tried to find another place to leave my complaint, but I found only this one.

I just don't understand why NS employees are so rude. They are supposed to help people on station, not yell at them or shut them up or even threaten with fine! And I didn't do anything wrong - I checked in. But I am not Dutch, and I need some help to understand how system works. Instead of getting help I have to stand there and listen all this horrible stuff about myself! Like I committed some kind of crime. And I talk to them in polite way. Is it so difficult to be a decent human being and help foreigner? It is a shame that first impression that you get after landing in NL is these rude people...

I would be very thankful if someone can help me and give some link (or telephone number) where I can submit a formal complaint with all the details of horrible situation that happened to me today...
icon

Beste antwoord door Janou NS 20 april 2015, 10:00

I just don't understand why NS employees are so rude. They are supposed to help people on station, not yell at them or shut them up or even threaten with fine! And I didn't do anything wrong - I checked in. But I am not Dutch, and I need some help to understand how system works. Instead of getting help I have to stand there and listen all this horrible stuff about myself! Like I committed some kind of crime. And I talk to them in polite way. Is it so difficult to be a decent human being and help foreigner? It is a shame that first impression that you get after landing in NL is these rude people...

I would be very thankful if someone can help me and give some link (or telephone number) where I can submit a formal complaint with all the details of horrible situation that happened to me today...

Goodmoring Letsneg and welcome to our service forum. Im so sorry that you didn't get the help that you wanted . I can put your complaint in the system if you can send me private message with your personal details. You can send me a private message by clicking on my name and then you go to "stuur bericht"
Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Goodmoring Letsneg and welcome to our service forum. Im so sorry that you didn't get the help that you wanted . I can put your complaint in the system if you can send me private message with your personal details. You can send me a private message by clicking on my name and then you go to "stuur bericht"
I had similar experience at the Amsterdam Airport Schiphol ticket station.
The woman behind ticketing desk was very unfriendly and super rude!
It was my first time ever to step foot in Netherland and right away I was served by this so called customer service.

Being a foreigner I didn't understand how the train and tram works in Holland.
On my arrival day I directly purchased a train ticket to the city by machine. (My big mistake!)
Then later on in the evening when I was settled down and have time to browse the internet, I learned that there is unlimited 1-day ticket for the city.
The following day I went to ticketing counter to ASK if it is possible for me to upgrade from train ticket to the 1-day unlimited ticket.
I lined up like everybody else and when it was my turn, I approach the counter with a smile and ready for my first day excursion of Amsterdam.
Instead of friendly explanation, the woman's answer was like I'm an idiot who bought ticket without any knowledge.
I was prepared if the ticket is non-refundable, but the treatment I got was beyond my imagination.
I tried to be polite and hope that she would talk nicely to me, but instead she asked for my ticket and keep doing her own thing with a grumpy look on her face. (I think she started the refund process)

In the end she said to me, "What do you want now?!"
I said, I just want the day ticket, and she start processing it and throw it to the metal thing.

UNBELIEVABLE!

This happened in the morning of Monday, 18th May 2015 and she was on the far left end counter.

I also would like to file a formal complaint, so no one else have to go through this kind of nonsense.
@ Letsneg
It's really unbelievable that some employees that works at customer service for the National railway (or other companies) can be so rude to tourist and people from abroad. I know a view years ago, the city of Amsterdam launched a campaign for all the employees in Amsterdam that works in de tourist sector, to be more friendly and polite to tourist. Because a lot of tourist complained of the rudeness and bad service they had in hotels, public transportation, taxi's etc in Amsterdam. This was a view years ago, but for me it's really unbelievable that some people who daily works with tourist and in this sector can be so rude. We must be very happy with all those tourist,  because it's good for the economic, the city of Amsterdam and the Netherlands. If I hear those stories about rude employees,  I as 'Amsterdammer' really feel ashamed.

About a month ago I had the same experience at Rotterdam CS.
I use a business card which gives a co traveller 40% discount and my sister has an OV card, but apparently we had a check-in problem at Rotterdam Blaak. Because we were in a hurry to catch a train to The Hague, due to arrive in time for a concert, I was pretty stressed and therefore quite confused.
When I asked the lady behind the desk, apparently someone above 50 and a long term employee from the old school 'non customer driven' type, how we could activate my sisters card and how we could travel with 40% discount with my personal business card. She answered on a rather rude and on a irritated tone: 'You have a business card and you should know how this procedure works'...'You should have prepared yourself better before you travel.'...'It's your problem' (!!!)
But because I didn't know, that was the reason why I asked the question in the first place.
I was literally astonished by her very very unpleasant & unfriendly answer. I told her that I was only asking a normal question and that I was completely flabbergasted by her attitude and answer. We where literally laughed very loud by her and her other 6 colleagues in the very busy room. I really think this is a big shame!!!!
In my opinion NS would make a huge step forward in customer experience and satisfaction if they survey their employees on customer driven attitude and communication, train or even sack employees who doesn't fit in this profile.
Its' all about communication! And that dear NS is really something you should improve asap!!
We experienced this very rude NS Officer in Utrecht.. I think they are just everywhere in this company..
We experienced this very rude NS Officer in Utrecht.. I think they are just everywhere in this company..

The same employee?
Reputatie 1
Badge
No-its more that the Dutch have since the 16th/17th century always been found ''rude''/unpolite''straightforward'' or whatever you like to call it by esp. the English speaking peoples of this world. Its more a cultural thing.
Maybe you can even try to think the way of those workers; you get 123456 stupid questions-always the same-and often shouted out by ugly loud Americans, who seem unable to speak softly- and just get tired of it. Or from people unable to read simple signs. or you were posted in this poition from your safe officechair as there was not enough staff.
Its not a major discovery that trains are not planes, though many tourists do seem to think it is.
Dear SRT. I find your explanation / justification for this behaviour even worse. Reducing the inability to show customer care and politeness to a question of culture is rather lame and primitive. There is no evidence to show that the said NS staff were rude only to stupid ugly Americans or English speakers. To this point we don't know whether Letsnegg or all the other people who have complained here are Americans, loud or ugly. We also don't know whether they are native English speakers or unable to read simple signs.

Furthermore your final sentence seems to indicate that customer care and politeness should be limited to air-travel and not trains. Now if you work for NS and are shifted from a comfortable office chair to the field should you let out your anger at your customers? Don't you know without them you wouldn't have a salary or a job for that matter? Furthermore why are you excusing Dutch cultural habits of being direct or straightforward while being intolerant of American culture which is loud and assertive? There maybe very good reasons why people may be unable to read or understand signs. It could be they are mentally disabled or handicapped or that they are old and infirm or blind. It could be they come from countries where they are not used to signs or signs are unreliable. There is also the fact that Dutch is a foreign language to most people in the world.

I am sure if you went to China and couldn't read signs or simple instructions there, you would be very angry if you were treated impolitely just because someone was transferred from a comfortable chair and didn't understand why a white Dutch person was illiterate.

Reageer