beantwoord

Issue with the anonymous chipkaart

• 9 september 2014
  • 3 reacties
  • 746 Bekeken

Hello all!

Sorry that I write this in English, but I am a foreigner (from Spain!) and I do not know Dutch (yet).

Last week I top up my chipkaart with 50e, and went to Amsterdam Centraal Station, as I wanted to go to Amsterdam Muiderpoort.

In Centraal Station, in the check-in, I got charged 20e.

I thought this was a sort of reservation, but then in Amsterdam Muiderpoort (next station!) I checked out and got charged again 20e.

So I got charged 40e for an amazing 5 min trip 🙂

I would like to know how to handle this situation, as I am not sure.

Thank you all!
Hector.
icon

Beste antwoord door Gert-Jan G 9 september 2014, 21:44

I guess you walked through the gates and then remembered you did not check-in yet, subsequently you've tried to check-in at the check-out side of a gate. This results in a check-out without valid check-in which costs 20 euros. At Muiderpoort you checked-out without a check-in again resulting in another 20 euro fine.

Most likely a service desk employee will invite you to send a private message to correct all this tomorrow morning
Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 4
Badge
I guess you walked through the gates and then remembered you did not check-in yet, subsequently you've tried to check-in at the check-out side of a gate. This results in a check-out without valid check-in which costs 20 euros. At Muiderpoort you checked-out without a check-in again resulting in another 20 euro fine.

Most likely a service desk employee will invite you to send a private message to correct all this tomorrow morning
Hi Hector, welcome to the Serviceforum. As Gert- Jan said, something must have gone wrong at the gates. I will send you a private message to correct this.
You don't have to apologize for your English, you're by far not the only English-speaker in the country. :)

To prevent you from making the same mistake again, let me try to explain a bit how the system works, as from your post I understand you are fairly new to the OV-Chipcard system.

When you travel by train and you don't have a subscription, upon checking in €20 will be deducted from your OV-Chipcard. If you have a valid discount product, such as Dal Discount (Dal Voordeel) or Always Discount (Altijd Voordeel), this is €10. This €20/€10 is called the "initfee" (initial fee). Upon checking out, the difference is calculated between the initfee and the actual fare price, and the difference is then reimbursed onto your OV-Chipcard balance.

On buses and trams, it works the same, but the initfee is then only €4. Besides the balance you have on your OV-Chipcard, you can go €4 "in the red", so you can check in at buses and trams if your balance is exactly €0, but you need at least €16 to check in with trains.

For trains, there are basically two types of check-in/check-out devices: gates with barriers (which are mostly open, they are due to be permanently closed within the next few years) or CICO-poles (CICO stands for check-in-check-out, the poles can be used for checking in or checking out, depending whether you are already checked in or not). At gates, you can ONLY check in on the outside of the gate and ONLY check out on the inside. The idea behind this is that you can't get to the inside of the gates without checking in first so checking out without checking in should be impossible (the original plan was to have the barriers closed already but this turned out to become a political issue). CICO-poles are mostly to be found at train stations that do not have barriers and on platforms where multiple transit companies call (such as Amsterdam Amstel, with the metro and the train using the same platform, and CICO-poles from both transit companies are placed next to each other to ease the transfer, otherwise you would have to walk downstairs to check out with NS and in with GVB). CICO poles can be used for both checking in and checking out, the pole reads your card and decides whether you want to check in or out based on whether you are already checked in or not. Bear in mind that a CICO-pole can only read information from its own transit company; if you are checked in with NS and then you check in with GVB, your check-in from NS will expire and your €20 will be lost! ALWAYS first check out with one transit company before checking in with another!

If you forget to check out, you can have your money refunded. Information about this can be found on the OV-Chipcard website: https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/klantenservice/zelfregelen/nietinofuitgecheckt/?taal=en

Reageer