NS limit on missed checkout refunds

• 2 juni 2019
  • 11 reacties
  • 430 Bekeken

After many issues with horrible treatment of NS towards passengers, I started reviewing the ways I have been getting ripped off by NS.

I used to travel to a station without closed gates. I noticed in the history of my OV chip cards that I have missed several checkouts within a year.

NS accepts to refund only some of them as there is a limit on the number. Charging the maximum amount each time, that adds up to a huge amount!

It is the only company with this policy. Is there a reason for this? Might make sense to consider your clients a bit more?

11 reacties

Reputatie 7
Yes there is a reason for this. It's to prevent misuse of the ability to correct your travels while purposely not checking in or out. This way you can have a big advantage if you made a long travel and make a claim for a short one.

It is possible to get more than 3 check-in/out corrections, but you'll have to contact the customer service and they might make an exception. This is however never a guarentee that they will refund anything, since the limit is a maximum of 3 times a year.

You can sign up for NS-extra (free) and enable check-out alerts. This way you'll be alerted much faster and don't have to look at any invoices or card details to spot them.
Reputatie 7
Badge
Welkom on the Community, I travel many, many years with my OV-Chipkaart, I have never mist a Check Out. When you used it correctly, there is no problem.
Yes there is a reason for this. It's to prevent misuse of the ability to correct your travels while purposely not checking in or out. This way you can have a big advantage if you made a long travel and make a claim for a short one.

It is possible to get more than 3 check-in/out corrections, but you'll have to contact the customer service and they might make an exception. This is however never a guarentee that they will refund anything, since the limit is a maximum of 3 times a year.

You can sign up for NS-extra (free) and enable check-out alerts. This way you'll be alerted much faster and don't have to look at any invoices or card details to spot them.

The feature for alerts is new so it was not available last year.

My girlfriend has called NS customer support for a similar request and they refused to refund her.

In addition, there is a 6 month limit.
Welkom on the Community, I travel many, many years with my OV-Chipkaart, I have never mist a Check Out. When you used it correctly, there is no problem.

That's nice for you! You should be proud. Not everyone is as perfect though.

This is why all the other transport companies have a different policy, as they are understanding and considering their passengers.
So no apparent reason other than not bothering being fair to passengers? Way to go, once more leading the best customer service!

Shameful for your country when you think of other great Dutch companies..
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
As a comfort, thanks to your lost money, kids can travel for free.
Badge +3
Being fair means following the rules.

A forgotten checkout can happen, so they forgive that by leniency (coulance) 3 times, within a 6 months period. If you were unable to check in or out (e.g. due to a power outage or evacuation) that's a different story.

If not checking out (paying only the full boarding tariff of €10 or €20 for trais, or €4 for bus/tram/metro) would be in your advantage, you would/could think differently.

Alas, your card will be blocked if you do that 12 times. Without a valid checkout, your destination is unknown so why should they reimburse you? The 3 times limit should be enough of a 'learning course' to know how the system works.

Not sure why NS refused to assist your girlfriend. I suggest calling them again for information on what went wrong.
Reputatie 7
Badge +4
There is a far more better solution. By far most people travel in the second class. With a checkin, the maximum price of a second class journey ( € 26,50 ) has to be charged. People with a subscription will pay their maximum price ( € 15,90 ).

Not paying the right amount, excuse me, forgetting to check out, is not profitable anymore and will happen less. We all know.

Of course we will get tearjerking comments, but it is far more honest and people are not seduced not to check out when it is profitable.

Everybody will understand, definitely the people with a fraudulent attitude. 😇They know why.

It saves a lot of unnecessary communication and costs. You lose when you do not check out. That is a clear signal. We all know who will oppose.

I know it will not happen when the communication office wants a friendly image.

It is better to have an honest image and letting people know you do not want to be cheated as NS.
The honest paying customers will like it.

Nowadays it is easy and free to get the remaining amount back from the card, so that will not be the probem.

Forgetting to check in means the maximum amount at a checkout - or a fine.

Of course it is possilbe to forget it once and a while, but it has to be a coincidence.

Less people will 'forget'. Forgetting is often calculating and far too profitable now.

Let's abolish ' Forget to check out.'

Be friendly for the paying customers, not for the people who are not willing to and do cause a lot of trouble for their fellow passengers.

It will lead to less aggression for the real customers: the ones who pay.
Badge +3
The feature for alerts is new so it was not available last year.
It has been one of the major 'selling' points of NS Extra since that was introduced in 2016, so it has been available for nearly three years now.

I have been having regular problems checking in and out through the wide gates (that go both ways). I have no idea whether I have checked in or out because messages are in Dutch. I have been racking up the missed check-out fees being forced to pay 20 euros for a missed checkout when I can’t get on or off the platforms without checking out. The 3 refund limit is absolutely outrageous if you can provide proof you should get as many as you need. This is a problem with the NS gates, in the UK if you scan your card it takes the money regardless of whether the gate is already open. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

I have been having regular problems checking in and out through the wide gates (that go both ways). I have no idea whether I have checked in or out because messages are in Dutch. I have been racking up the missed check-out fees being forced to pay 20 euros for a missed checkout when I can’t get on or off the platforms without checking out. The 3 refund limit is absolutely outrageous if you can provide proof you should get as many as you need. This is a problem with the NS gates, in the UK if you scan your card it takes the money regardless of whether the gate is already open. 

Soms people use the gates in way that is not allowed. The gates have a check-in side and a check-out side to prevent fraud and you cannot mix up both sides. If you check in/out at the wrong side of the gate you get the symptoms you describe. 

Reageer