Papieren kaartje wordt vanaf 9 juli vervangen door de eenmalige chipkaart | NS Community

Papieren kaartje wordt vanaf 9 juli vervangen door de eenmalige chipkaart

Reputatie 2
Met ingang van 9 juli 2014 wordt het papieren treinkaartje vervangen door een eenmalige chipkaart. Het Nationaal OV-Beraad (NOVB), een samenwerkingsverband van vervoerders en overheden, heeft dit gisteravond 20 mei 2014 besloten. We merken dat veel reizigers vragen hebben over wat dat voor hun specifieke manier van reizen bij NS betekent. Om een groot deel van de vragen te beantwoorden hebben we een top-10 van vragen samengesteld, welke te vinden is op deze site.

Mocht het antwoord op je vraag er niet tussen staan, stel hem dan hier op het forum!

134 reacties

Do I understand it correct that this thread is for asking questions about the new disposable OV-Chipcard? I read on http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/05/paper_train_tickets_set_to_van.php that paper train tickets were to vanish in July, but last Friday I approached a ticket machine which sold disposable chipcards only. What disturbed me the most was the fact that I couldn't buy a ticket with discount from that machine, but I wanted to take a friend with me who doesn't have an OV-Chipcard (I have a discount card) and obviously we wouldn't buy an anonymous card for just one trip, as the card costs actually more than three times the trip we were planned on making. Also, the article writes that a disposable ticket will be the fare price plus one euro. Alltogether, this just means that NS is abusing its power trying to raise the price significantly, in fact in our case far more than double it. I am very certain this is in fact not even legal, as the fare price can only rise once per year by inflation plus two percent. It is time NS would start explaining - in Dutch, English and Frisian - why they keep on thinking with their own wallets instead of keeping the interest of the traveler in mind!
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
last Friday I approached a ticket machine which sold disposable chipcards only. (..) I couldn't buy a ticket with discount from that machine
Where was this?
Amsterdam Central, but I've seen the same on Amstel now. And of course there is no information about this whatsoever on ns.nl/en 😠
Hello PPP,
It could be that some ticket machines are already selling disposable OV-chipcards. NS is testing the new OV-chipcards at this moment.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
Are these machines marked as such, to avoid the impression that tickets without chip are not available at all at the station?
Not that I noticed, no... I have to take the train in an hour, I'll try not to forget to bring my camera and take a picture of one of the machines.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
I have seen these machines now, they have a pink rectangle at the top left. There is no supplement of one euro yet. You can also buy a dagkaart (day pass) on paper with chip (while at the regular machines no paper dagkaart is available).
I thought the pink rectangle is actually to indicate that you can buy an anonymous OV-Chipcard from these machines, not to indicate that paper tickets are not available. Also, there was no pink rectangle on the machine I saw today. I took some pictures today which I enclose in this post, on which you can see no paper tickets are available and disposable tickets for discount price are also not for sale in these machines anymore.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
Ok, the pink rectangle may not be the indication. An indirect indication on the home screen seems to be the absence of tickets abroad.
Well, if you tick the option 'I don't have an OV-Chipcard' it shows the option to buy a disposable one, which says next to it that these include singles, returns and tickets abroad. However, when you tick that option, no tickets for abroad are available. Too bad, as that would have been a solution for easy acces through gates with an international ticket.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
It has been aannounced that tickets for abroad will remain available, this part of the project just is not finished yet, I think.
Reputatie 3
Badge
The indication is in the blue bar at the top of the machine, which says "Kopen OV-chipkaart".
You will not find that on the other machines.

NS converted a machine at Haarlem station last week, and were kind enough to stick an A4 on it explaining that it was a test, and that paper tickets were still available from all other machines. Unfortunately, the note did not last any longer than a few hours, so travellers in Haarlem are now also confused. . . I checked it this evening, just because of my curiosity.

I wonder about the tickets abroad. The only reason to make them available on OV-chip would be to facilitate check-in at the station, since you cannot check out abroad; it does not make sense to print them on OV-chip for that matter. Normally, international paper tickets and e-tickets would have a QR-code, which can be scanned by some gates to let you enter the station. But international tickets from the machines apparently don't have a QR-code, so they need to have a chip to open the gates.

Which makes me wonder if it is possible to buy an international ticket from a machine in Germany or Belgium, and if that ticket would than have a QR-code to let you pass the gates upon arrival at your destination in the Netherlands . . .
The indication is in the blue bar at the top of the machine, which says "Kopen OV-chipkaart".
You will not find that on the other machines.

NS converted a machine at Haarlem station last week, and were kind enough to stick an A4 on it explaining that it was a test, and that paper tickets were still available from all other machines. Unfortunately, the note did not last any longer than a few hours, so travellers in Haarlem are now also confused. . . I checked it this evening, just because of my curiosity.

I wonder about the tickets abroad. The only reason to make them available on OV-chip would be to facilitate check-in at the station, since you cannot check out abroad; it does not make sense to print them on OV-chip for that matter. Normally, international paper tickets and e-tickets would have a QR-code, which can be scanned by some gates to let you enter the station. But international tickets from the machines apparently don't have a QR-code, so they need to have a chip to open the gates.

Which makes me wonder if it is possible to buy an international ticket from a machine in Germany or Belgium, and if that ticket would than have a QR-code to let you pass the gates upon arrival at your destination in the Netherlands . . .

Hey IskOV,
The indication 'Kopen OV-chipkaart' is an indicator that you can buy anonymous OV-chipkaarten, so it's not an indication that this machine doesn't ell paper cards anymore.
Reputatie 3
Badge
Just checked again in Haarlem.
Apparently, they converted a second machine recently.

Now, there are two machines with the sign "Kopen OV-chipkaart".
One of them initially only shows one button "Ik heb geen OV-chipkaart". That will only allow you to touch that button, and then buy an anonymous OV-chipkaart. So no paper tickets or international tickets available.

The other one initially shows two buttons: "Ik heb geen OV-chipkaart" and "Ik wil naar het buitenland". Touching "Ik heb geen OV-chipkaart" will reveal a screen allowing you to buy an anonymous OV-chipkaart, but also to touch another button "Papieren kaartjes". So both paper tickets and international tickets available.

Seems very confusing to me. Especially because there is no way to tell which options are offered by each of the machines if you approach them from a distance. So you'll have to queue up (if there is a queue), possibly just to find out you have been waiting at the wrong machine when it's your turn.

Anyway, I guess this is due to the fact that NS are still testing the machines and the software; so they may have implemented different test versions on different machines to sea which version works best, which they will then (hopefully) install on all machines.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
As I mentioned, if the home screen does not have an abroad option it has single-use chipcards. This applies to the first machine: not just anonymous but also single-use chipcards.

The 2nd is a regular "Kopen OV-chipkaart" machine (see also what Mike said).

I think the test machines are all "Kopen OV-chipkaart" machines (with curved front), so to buy a traditional ticket you are on the safe side if you queue at a flat front machine.
Reputatie 3
Badge
As I mentioned, if the home screen does not have an abroad option it has single-use chipcards. This applies to the first machine: not just anonymous but also single-use chipcards.

The 2nd is a regular "Kopen OV-chipkaart" machine.

That is correct. With the addition that the 2nd machine apparently does NOT sell single-use chipcards (disposables); probably because that one sells paper tickets instead. (See attached photo. . .)

Do you happen to know if both types are supposed to remain functioning after July 9th? The way they are designed now, you cannot tell the one from the other from a distance. . .
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
From July 9th both types will sell single-use chipcards and tickets for abroad, I suppose. You can easily tell the curved one (marked "Kopen OV-chipkaart" or sometimes a pink rectangle, it is the machine which also sells anonymous chipcards and accepts coins) from the flat one from a distance.

See also https://forum.ns.nl/op-station-17/sticker-op-afwijkende-kaartautomaat-2324.
Reputatie 3
Badge
From July 9th both types will sell single-use chipcards and tickets for abroad, I suppose. You can easily tell the curved one (marked "Kopen OV-chipkaart" or sometimes a pink rectangle, it is the machine which also sells anonymous chipcards and accepts coins) from the flat one from a distance.

See also https://forum.ns.nl/op-station-17/sticker-op-afwijkende-kaartautomaat-2324.

I am afraid it's not that easy. Both machines shown in the pictures attached. Differences in the colour are due to poor lighting circumstances, but they basically look the same, I would say. I did not check if either of them accepts coins (I don't think so, though).

Good you opened a new topic for that!
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
They work the same from July 9th, but currently different for the test. The coin slot is on the right above the screen. The machine number (in big digits, unique within the station only) starts with 2 (for the flat type with 1).
Situatie nu; kaartje kopen en reizen maar
Situatie straks; kaartje voor 1 euro extra kopen, moeten in- en uitchecken, bij gebruik van meerdere vervoerders extra kosten (sowieso liggen tarieven bij andere vervoerders hoger dan als bij de NS), niet meer onderweg op 'n station uit kunnen stappen zonder extra kosten en NS weet precies waar jij uithangt (privacy?).

Is er nu echt niemand bij de NS, die even nadenkt en op het idee komt dat dit weleens klantonvriendelijk zou kunnen zijn?
For all I remember, the machines with the obese look are the ones that accept coins and sells anonymous OV-Chipcards (plastic ones). The flat ones accept card only and don't sell plastic cards. The machine I photographed was one of the machines that accept coins. I found another one at the same station that wasn't converted to sell disposable chipcards, however apart from the firmware (which, on the converted machine, indeed shows only one button on the initial screen, named "I don't have an OV-Chipcard", wheras the original firmware features a second button saying "I want to travel abroad") there is no difference in the looks of these machines. In Amsterdam, standing in line for some time only to find out that the machine doesn't sell international tickets, shouldn't be that much of a problem. However, if the station you're at is somewhere very near the border, this can be an extremely unpleasant surprise for quite some people...

Btw, out of curiosity, I topped up my personal OV-Chipcard today at the converted machine and asked for a transaction receipt (which I normally wouldn't do). It was printed on the same paper as the old paper train tickets. Apparently, the converted machines now have two paper rolls: the old paper roll with the same paper it used to print tickets on, but now only for transaction receipts, and one with disposable tickets rolled onto, to print the new tickets with chip.
Reputatie 3
Badge
They work the same from July 9th, but currently different for the test. The coin slot is on the right above the screen. The machine number (in big digits, unique within the station only) starts with 2 (for the flat type with 1).

Interesting. Both machines shown by my pictures have numbers starting with 2, but behave differently at the moment. I'll check tomorrow if they have coin slots.

I guess after 9 July, the paper ticket option will be discontinued, and all machines will sell disposable cards as well as anonymous cards. I cannot think of any reason for different machines . . . (apart from their ability to accept coins or credit cards)
Reputatie 3
Badge
Situatie nu; kaartje kopen en reizen maar
Situatie straks; kaartje voor 1 euro extra kopen, moeten in- en uitchecken, bij gebruik van meerdere vervoerders extra kosten (sowieso liggen tarieven bij andere vervoerders hoger dan als bij de NS), niet meer onderweg op 'n station uit kunnen stappen zonder extra kosten en NS weet precies waar jij uithangt (privacy?).
Is er nu echt niemand bij de NS, die even nadenkt en op het idee komt dat dit weleens klantonvriendelijk zou kunnen zijn?

Enige nuancering is toch wel op zijn plaats.
Het is bepaald niet zo dat je altijd extra kosten hebt met meerdere vervoerders; daar wordt juist hard aan gewerkt om dat te voorkomen.
En met een anonieme chipkaart of een kaart voor eenmalig gebruik weet NS niet waar jij bent. In ieder geval niet door die kaart, want die is niet aan je persoon gekoppeld. De kans is groter dat NS (en anderen) het weten doordat je je mobiel aan hebt staan, of op Facebook hebt gezet waar je naartoe gaat.
[quote=IskOV]I cannot think of any reason for different machines . . . (apart from their ability to accept coins or credit cards)

I don't think the machines need to be replaced for that. Whether or not it accepts credit cards is just a matter of adjusting the payment terminal's firmware. Some machines already accept credit cards even.
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
[I guess after 9 July, the paper ticket option will be discontinued, and all machines will sell disposable cards as well as anonymous cards. I cannot think of any reason for different machines . . . (apart from their ability to accept coins or credit cards)
I suppose the extra functionality to sell anonymous cards and to accept coins makes the machine more expensive, so if people mostly do not need this functionality it would be wasteful if all machines would have it. That does not change on 9 July.

Reageer