beantwoord

Question about OV-chipcard for travelers, one week in the Netherlands

• 21 april 2019
  • 3 reacties
  • 212 Bekeken

Hello,

I hope you can help me figure out what kind of card I should buy when traveling around the Netherlands with my 17-year-old for a week. We will be arriving in Amsterdam, and going to Eindhoven and Delft, and possibly also going to Maastricht and from Delft to Amsterdam for a day. Using NS.nl I figured I am likely to spend around at least 66 euros, possibly over 130 on tickets.

First question - Is the anonymous chip card the best card to buy or are there weekly passes for all transportation?

Second question - do high school students get a discount when buying tickets and what kind of document do they need to get a discount?

Third question - can foreigners traveling in the Netherlands use the OV-fiet bike rentals?

thank you
Jolanta
icon

Beste antwoord door Emma NS 22 april 2019, 11:31

Hi jagdavis and welcome to our Community!

It's fun to read that you're visiting the Netherlands, I hope you'll have a lovely time.

When it comes to the tickets, you have multiple options.

1) You can buy day tickets on this website: https://www.actievandedag.nl/actie-aanbieding/21-02-2019-trein-dag-dalurenkaart. Then you'll pay € 19,50 for a whole day travelling in the off-peak hours. So for the days you're going to travel a lot I think this is way cheaper than buying loose tickets.

2) You can buy an anonymous OV-chipcard at a ticket machine, they are yellow and blue and are place on every station. Then it's possible to put money on the OV-chipcard, put at least € 20,- on it and the travelling can begin.

High school students do not get a discount. We do have a lot of discount product or vouchers, please click here.

For te OV-bike you need a Dutch bank account, so I'm afraid this won't be an option.
Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 2
Alternatively, you can buy e-tickets for train travel at www.ns.nl. You pay the same price per journey as with an ov-chipcard, but don’t have to buy&load an ov-chipcard.

For virtually all other public transport (like local busses and trams) you can buy in-app e-tickets at www.tranzer.nl, but they do add a small service fee.

As an alternative for the ov-fiets, you can also rent a bike at many bike repair shops and hotels (often even if you’re not staying in that hotel).
Reputatie 6
Badge +2
can foreigners traveling in the Netherlands use the OV-fiets bike rentals?

201904 22 12:55
Yes, if you have a credtcard, see https://utrechtregionpass.com.
Hi jagdavis and welcome to our Community!

It's fun to read that you're visiting the Netherlands, I hope you'll have a lovely time.

When it comes to the tickets, you have multiple options.

1) You can buy day tickets on this website: https://www.actievandedag.nl/actie-aanbieding/21-02-2019-trein-dag-dalurenkaart. Then you'll pay € 19,50 for a whole day travelling in the off-peak hours. So for the days you're going to travel a lot I think this is way cheaper than buying loose tickets.

2) You can buy an anonymous OV-chipcard at a ticket machine, they are yellow and blue and are place on every station. Then it's possible to put money on the OV-chipcard, put at least € 20,- on it and the travelling can begin.

High school students do not get a discount. We do have a lot of discount product or vouchers, please click here.

For te OV-bike you need a Dutch bank account, so I'm afraid this won't be an option.

Reageer