beantwoord

Why is NS charging subscriptions on my expired Chipkaart?

• 12 juni 2020
  • 9 reacties
  • 166 Bekeken

Apologies for writing this in English. I have been using an NS with personal OV Chipkaart for some time now and my personal OV chipkaart expired. So I applied for a new Personal OV Chipkaart and added a subscription for NS. However NS continued to debit subscriptions for my expired chipkaart. When I spoke to NS customer service, they said I did not read the Terms and Conditions so its my fault. Maybe that is right, but isn’t this stupid and unethical on part of NS? If there is no chipkaart, how are they going to realise my subscription? My questions are:

1. Have any of you faced this issue before and was there a solution?
  2. How do I raise a complaint about this sort of unethical behaviour with NS? If NS response is not satisfactory, is there an ombudsman whom I can contact to complain about this issue? I want to ensure that this sort of unethical behaviour from NS doesn’t continue and they conveniently hide behind obscure Terms and Conditions.

Thank you for reading!

icon

Beste antwoord door Slidestops 12 juni 2020, 14:36

Subscriptions and cards don't have the same termination date. Any (personal) card can hold any subscription for any length. Even if the card has expired, the subscription will continue to be available for you. Normally a card is renewed and the subscription copied over to the new card. 

The card is issued by a different company than NS. All public transport companies can put a subscription on a card. None of them will terminate if the card has expired.

See it as a bank/credit card. Your bank account doesn't expire if your card expires.

Bekijk origineel

9 reacties

Reputatie 7

Subscriptions and cards don't have the same termination date. Any (personal) card can hold any subscription for any length. Even if the card has expired, the subscription will continue to be available for you. Normally a card is renewed and the subscription copied over to the new card. 

The card is issued by a different company than NS. All public transport companies can put a subscription on a card. None of them will terminate if the card has expired.

See it as a bank/credit card. Your bank account doesn't expire if your card expires.

Hi Prasanna and welcome to our NS Community!

Don't apologize, that's not necessary. It's indeed the case that your season ticket with NS is not automatically cancelled when the OV-chipcard expires. They are not connected in that way. The card is produced by a different company; OV-chipkaart themselves. If you have a yearly season ticket, we send you information on how to prolong the OV-chipcard with the season ticket on it. Did you not get this email from us? 

Reputatie 7
Badge +1

How do I raise a complaint about this sort of unethical behaviour with NS? If NS response is not satisfactory, is there an ombudsman whom I can contact to complain about this issue? I want to ensure that this sort of unethical behaviour from NS doesn’t continue and they conveniently hide behind obscure Terms and Conditions.

If you are not satisfied with the response NS gave or if you'd like to make a complaint and would not like to do it via the customer service you can contact the OV Ombudsman

Hi Laura,

I remember getting an email from NS saying I have an option to buy a new card from NS with a discount because my old card is expiring. I did not act on that, so when it finally expired, I looked at the link in that email and it did not work any longer. That is the reason why I went for the new card, again from NS, along with a subscription.

It seems strange NS is able to send an email to extend the subscription and it clearly mentioned that my chip card is five year old. So, I find it hard to believe that they cannot use that same information to realise that the subscription on the expired card is not valid.

This is the email from NS:

Graag ontvangen wij van u een nieuwe digitale pasfoto
Uw OV-chipkaart met daarop uw NS-abonnement is vijf jaar geldig. Uw huidige OV-chipkaart is bijna vijf jaar oud en zal daarom op korte termijn vernieuwd moeten worden.  Wij willen ervoor zorgen dat u als NS-abonnementhouder automatisch en tijdig uw nieuwe OV-chipkaart per post thuisgestuurd krijgt.  Daartoe hebben we een nieuwe recente pasfoto van u nodig.

Although the purpose of the email is different, it is evident that NS knows that my chipcard is expiring. A I missing something here or NS chooses to ignore this knowledge because it is convenient for them?

How do I raise a complaint about this sort of unethical behaviour with NS? If NS response is not satisfactory, is there an ombudsman whom I can contact to complain about this issue? I want to ensure that this sort of unethical behaviour from NS doesn’t continue and they conveniently hide behind obscure Terms and Conditions.

If you are not satisfied with the response NS gave or if you'd like to make a complaint and would not like to do it via the customer service you can contact the OV Ombudsman

I think I might do that. Thank you.

But my bank doesn’t charge me card charges for the expired card does it? It will probably charge for the new card, but the one on the old card would be stopped.

Reputatie 2

I think I might do that. Thank you.

Hi @Prasanna 

You can't blame the NS. The NS warned you about the expiry of the OV-Chipkaart. You have to know the Terms and Conditions:

https://www.ns.nl/binaries/_ht_1528981711934/content/assets/ns-en/terms/general-terms-and-conditions-urban-and-regional-public-transport.pdf

3.14 The OV-chipkaart has a predefined term of validity. This term of validity is independent of the term of validity of a given product loaded onto the OV-chipkaart.

In my opinion, a complaint to the OV Ombudsman is pointless.

What a pity that it was not clear to you that the subscription continues on an expired card.

Although your card has expired, it remains your responsibility to request a new card so that you can continue to use your subscription.

Hi Laura,

I remember getting an email from NS saying I have an option to buy a new card from NS with a discount because my old card is expiring. I did not act on that, so when it finally expired, I looked at the link in that email and it did not work any longer. That is the reason why I went for the new card, again from NS, along with a subscription.

It seems strange NS is able to send an email to extend the subscription and it clearly mentioned that my chip card is five year old. So, I find it hard to believe that they cannot use that same information to realise that the subscription on the expired card is not valid.

This is the email from NS:

Graag ontvangen wij van u een nieuwe digitale pasfoto
Uw OV-chipkaart met daarop uw NS-abonnement is vijf jaar geldig. Uw huidige OV-chipkaart is bijna vijf jaar oud en zal daarom op korte termijn vernieuwd moeten worden.  Wij willen ervoor zorgen dat u als NS-abonnementhouder automatisch en tijdig uw nieuwe OV-chipkaart per post thuisgestuurd krijgt.  Daartoe hebben we een nieuwe recente pasfoto van u nodig.

Although the purpose of the email is different, it is evident that NS knows that my chipcard is expiring. A I missing something here or NS chooses to ignore this knowledge because it is convenient for them?

Do I understand correctly that you have kept the old subscription on the old card and applied for a new subscription on a new card? In that case it is best to send a message to my colleagues via Facebook messenger, they can then continue to look at your data.

Reputatie 7

"Graag ontvangen wij van u een nieuwe digitale pasfotoUw OV-chipkaart met daarop uw NS-abonnement is vijf jaar geldig. Uw huidige OV-chipkaart is bijna vijf jaar oud en zal daarom op korte termijn vernieuwd moeten worden.  Wij willen ervoor zorgen dat u als NS-abonnementhouder automatisch en tijdig uw nieuwe OV-chipkaart per post thuisgestuurd krijgt.  Daartoe hebben we een nieuwe recente pasfoto van u nodig."

This literally says we need a new picture for a new card we will send you for free, so you can use the same subscription on a renewed card.

Reageer