Racism

• 16 August 2021
  • 17 reacties
  • 510 Bekeken

Reputatie 1

I am here for racism unfortunately. Yesterday I was on the last train to Rosendaal, going to my refugee camp. I was on a place in the middle of the train, it was next to the silent section and it has blue seats. While I was going with my friend there, a train officer has come. He was a blonde guy, maybe 30-35 years old. He looked at my face like he was disgusted. I felt a bit irritated because of those manners. He asked our ticket to check. I gave my NS flex card. He took my card with his two fingers like he wants to show that it's disgusting to touch my card. He did something with my card and took my friend's card. My friend has blue card. It took longer than mine. He said nothing to us. He looked at our faces with a disgusted impression and went on. We both felt so irritated. He made me feel like I don't deserve to be there. But there was no problem about my ticket. I always pay my debts properly and don't do something that I shouldn't do. We got out of the train in Breda and went to our shelter. After my train ride, I received an email says that I used 1st class section and I am fined because of this. I called customer service to object this fine but they asked me to prove that I wasn't on the 1st class section. How can I prove that? It's almost impossible. If I knew that he has fined because of this, it would be easier to prove that I wasn't on the 1st class section. But that rasist guy said nothing about the fine and did this on purpose even though I wasn't on the 1st class section. Why do I go in the 1st class section at the night train? I am not that stupid to do this. There were other passengers there but he didn't even check them. Why are you doing this? It's not a big deal to pay this fine but I don't deserve to be treated like this. That ruined all my day. And he got what he wanted. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't live in a country  that sees me as I don't belong there. Racism hurts a lot, believe me. I try to forget and live my life but it always occurs in somewhere. It hurts deeply, and I can't imagine how I can live with this anymore. I am sick of it. I hope that rasist guy is not proud of what he did. It still hurts to remember. So I won't keep writing. I hope nobody would experience something like this anymore. Nobody...

17 reacties

I received a private message from oozyuurt and I understand our Customer Service has already removed the € 20,00 correction fee which I am glad to read. Hopefully the next journey is a positive one again. :smile:

@Julian If you are sure that there is no blue seats except the 1st class section, we may get on that train together and I can't show you there. I am not lying here, or blaming anyone with some paranoiac reason. I will not write anything anymore, so have nice evening.

You are welcome anytime to check out a class 8700 train set with me. The only blue seats in those trains are 1st class. As a train driver who drives the trains almost daily, I know these trains very well.

As it is now apparent that you made an honest mistake, I think it would only be fitting to retract your statement about the guard being a racist, as that is some serious accusation that doesn't seem to be backed up by the facts. If anything, you've gotten off lightly with only having the correction tariff applied to you and not your friend as well, and then the customer service waiving that fee.

Reputatie 1

@Julian @Thom @Robert B @dorae_mon @Jeroen @Denice NS @iMark 

I talked with NS customer service, they found out the problem and fixed the dept. The problem is conducter didn't say anything. And he checked just two of us there. There were another people but they didn't get checked. If he has said bad words or openly insulted me or beaten me, I wouldn't have write it down here to make you discuss ignorantly without knowing anything about the situation. I ve just finished law school, I would've gone to police and tried to defence myself in the court. But this is not an active racism.That is why I write this down here. I'm not a paranoid or having psychosis. I am just a 24 yo boy feeling completely healthy. There is no solution to deal with this. Only he and I know what happened there, and I know it's useless to make people believe me here. This is passive racism. The winner is always the racist in this story, not the victim. I really regret of writing it down here, because this must've finished on that train already. It would've been less painful. But it's still going on hurting with your ignorantly written comments. Why are you like this? It's not so hard to look at the incidents neutral and interpret it objectively. @Julian If you are sure that there is no blue seats except the 1st class section, we may get on that train together and I can't show you there. I am not lying here, or blaming anyone with some paranoiac reason. I will not write anything anymore, so have nice evening.

Reputatie 1

Off-topic

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Off-topic

Badge +3

Actually, this train set has blue seats in the 1st class. This train set hasn't had its refurbishment yet, so the 1st class has blue seats and the 2nd class has beige/pink seats. So if the topic starter was sitting in this train set in the blue seats, it was actually the 1st class and the train guard was right in applying the 1st class supplement.

I stand corrected, thanks @Julian, the ones with the wider ‘rounded’ head rest then!

I remember those as positioned ‘3 in a row’, so with single seats on one side?

In that case, the confusion betweeen 1st and 2nd class is ‘plausible’, but a friend travelling with an anonymous (light blue) card should at least have been sent to 2nd class (or an UvB).

The train set number was 8728 (VIRM-6) which has red seats for 1st class.

Actually, this train set has blue seats in the 1st class. This train set hasn't had its refurbishment yet, which means that the 1st class has blue seats and the 2nd class has beige/pink seats.

So if the topic starter was sitting in this train set in the blue seats, it was the 1st class section and the train guard was right in applying the 1st class supplement.

Badge +3

Lijkt me vooral een nogal chagrijnige conducteur als het verhaal klopt, die kun je wel eens treffen.

Zie mijn reactie hierboven, wat jij zegt zou dus zomaar kunnen…

Badge +3

The last train to Roosendaal which passes Breda on aug 15 was https://www.rijdendetreinen.nl/treinarchief/2021-08-15/3687 so you got off at Breda around 0:55, correct?

This train had a 7 minute delay from Tilburg onwards. Maybe the conductor was agitated about that?

The train set number was 8728 (VIRM-6) which has red seats for 1st class?

Badge +3

Welcome to the NS Community, @oozyuurt!

I hardly see a racism problem, except maybe for the facial expression of the conductor and the way he handled your card (like it was dirty/contaminated), so here is my neutral reaction/analysis (based on what you wrote):

You say that the compartment you were in had blue seats. Those are mostly (but not necessarily) 2nd class. I assume you know the difference by looking at the number on the wall.

If they were indeed 1st class, your friend (travelling with a blue/anonymous card) should have gotten a fine for €50 plus the difference between 1st and 2nd class, or (what happens more often) be sent to 2nd class.

Since all that didn’t happen, it's likely that the conductor made a ‘mistake’ (possibly deliberate, because a manual action is needed).

It’s wise to contact NS Customer Service (if @Denice NS didn’t handle this already) and explain that your friend was left alone, while you got the €20 correction.

Without judging any further (none of us were there), this all sounds wrong to me or at least some procedure (for your friend) wasn’t followed correctly, unless the (dark) blue card your friend has is an NS Business Card.

Reputatie 1

Because someone looked on a certain way he is a racist ?   Come on, just a certain look isn't racism.

If you've ever been exposed to racism even just for once in your life, it could've been easier to understand each other. But It seems that you've never... I hope one day you can understand these things without experiencing racism. 

Hello oozyuurt. Welcome to the Community.

Since I was not there when it happened it's hard for me to judge the situation. I can imagine you feel uncomfortable when people look a certain way but claiming that it is racism is kind of a big thing to say I think.

I understand you were charged € 20,00 extra for travelling first class and the conductor did not inform you about this. That off course isn't very friendly. I understand that you contacted us right away when you received the email about the € 20,00. I am very sorry to read that my colleague asked you to proof that you were not travelling first class. This off course can not be proven afterwards. Customer Service can remove the € 20,00 as an exception. When a similar situation happens frequently getting the fine removed will not be as easy. You can send me a private message  with your initials, last name, date of birth, postcode and house number. I'll see what I can do about the € 20,00.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

@dorae_mon Het is niet aan jou of mij om te bepalen of iemand anders een situatie als racisme ervaart.

Wat ik heel zorgelijk vind is dat een Hc blijkbaar een boete/toeslag kan registeren bij Flex en dat je als klant nauwelijks mogelijkheden hebt om tegen zo'n boete te protesteren. Hoe moet je bijvoorbeeld bewijzen dat je niet in de 1e klas hebt gezeten als een Hc dat wel heeft geregistreerd in het systeem?

Reputatie 3

Wat heeft dit hele verhaal nou met ‘racism’ te maken? Lijkt me vooral een nogal chagrijnige conducteur als het verhaal klopt, die kun je wel eens treffen.

Badge

Because someone looked on a certain way he is a racist ?   Come on, just a certain look isn't racism.

I am here for racism unfortunately. Yesterday I was on the last train to Rosendaal, going to my refugee camp. I was on a place in the middle of the train, it was next to the silent section and it has blue seats. While I was going with my friend there, a train officer has come. He was a blonde guy, maybe 30-35 years old. He looked at my face like he was disgusted. I felt a bit irritated because of those manners. He asked our ticket to check. I gave my NS flex card. He took my card with his two fingers like he wants to show that it's disgusting to touch my card. He did something with my card and took my friend's card. My friend has blue card. It took longer than mine. He said nothing to us. He looked at our faces with a disgusted impression and went on. We both felt so irritated. He made me feel like I don't deserve to be there. But there was no problem about my ticket. I always pay my debts properly and don't do something that I shouldn't do. We got out of the train in Breda and went to our shelter. After my train ride, I received an email says that I used 1st class section and I am fined because of this. I called customer service to object this fine but they asked me to prove that I wasn't on the 1st class section. How can I prove that? It's almost impossible. If I knew that he has fined because of this, it would be easier to prove that I wasn't on the 1st class section. But that rasist guy said nothing about the fine and did this on purpose even though I wasn't on the 1st class section. Why do I go in the 1st class section at the night train? I am not that stupid to do this. There were other passengers there but he didn't even check them. Why are you doing this? It's not a big deal to pay this fine but I don't deserve to be treated like this. That ruined all my day. And he got what he wanted. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't live in a country  that sees me as I don't belong there. Racism hurts a lot, believe me. I try to forget and live my life but it always occurs in somewhere. It hurts deeply, and I can't imagine how I can live with this anymore. I am sick of it. I hope that rasist guy is not proud of what he did. It still hurts to remember. So I won't keep writing. I hope nobody would experience something like this anymore. Nobod

What a shame is this. We must not let this happen anymore.

I can recommend you a really good attorney about these stuffs. Don't pay the fine and sue them immediately.

wat jammer om te horen. Ik hoop dat deze racistische mensen de straf krijgen die ze verdienen.

What a shame is this. We must not let this happen anymore.

I can recommend you a really good attorney about these stuffs. Don't pay the fine and sue them immediately.

Reageer