beantwoord

Best family ticket from Heemskerk

• 23 juni 2018
  • 8 reacties
  • 141 Bekeken

I am planning to visit the Netherlands with my family from the US in July. We are six people (two adults, and four children ages 13,12, 7, 6. We will fly into Amsterdam Schipol Airport. After arrival, we are planning to stay in Heemskerk for 3 nights and then spend 1 night in Den Haag before traveling on to Paris and then Geneva and Munich by train.

We are trying to understand the ticket options in order to find the most economical ticket for our stay in Europe.

I looked at the Amsterdam regional pass which looks like a good value, but it doesn't seem to cover travel to Heemskerk and Den Haag.

We would also be willing to consider a EuroRail pass if it is more economical.
icon

Beste antwoord door Rudi 23 juni 2018, 20:45

The Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket (1, 2 or 3 days) is valid for travel to Amstrdam, Schiphol and Heemskerk, but not to Den Haag.
(see https://www.iamsterdam.com/media/pdf/visiting/artt-map-2018.pdf?la=en)
Heemskerk is on the railway line between Beverwijk and Uitgeest (below the banner on the map in fact).

The childern of 12 and 13 count as adults, but the younger ones qualify for a "Railrunner" ticket, available from the railway ticket machines for 2.50 euro. This ticket allows nationwide rail travel for one day.
Other youth fares are restricted to the "personal" version of the national public transport chip ticket ("OV-Chipkaart").

An alternative would be to obtain a standard "anonymous" chip card for every member of your party and use those for all your trips, nationwide. However, this would cost a non-refundable 45 euro for six cards and another 120 euros as minimum credits to allow train travel.
Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 5
The Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket (1, 2 or 3 days) is valid for travel to Amstrdam, Schiphol and Heemskerk, but not to Den Haag.
(see https://www.iamsterdam.com/media/pdf/visiting/artt-map-2018.pdf?la=en)
Heemskerk is on the railway line between Beverwijk and Uitgeest (below the banner on the map in fact).

The childern of 12 and 13 count as adults, but the younger ones qualify for a "Railrunner" ticket, available from the railway ticket machines for 2.50 euro. This ticket allows nationwide rail travel for one day.
Other youth fares are restricted to the "personal" version of the national public transport chip ticket ("OV-Chipkaart").

An alternative would be to obtain a standard "anonymous" chip card for every member of your party and use those for all your trips, nationwide. However, this would cost a non-refundable 45 euro for six cards and another 120 euros as minimum credits to allow train travel.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
You could also buy the Groupticket to travel to Den Haag.
With this ticket you can only travel during off-peak hours, so weekdays before 06:30, between 09:00 and 16:00, and after 18:30. It is also valid at weekends.
And you will need to travel as a group.
https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/meest-gekocht/p/groepsticket-daluren
Thank you all so much for the advice. This is so very helpful. We will get the Amsterdam region pass for the first few days and then use the group pass to travel to Den Haag.
One more question. Can I get the child pass for the two young children two allow them to travel with us for free with the two passes (Amsterdam regional pass and Group pass)? From what I read on the website, it sounds like I would need to buy an OV-chipkaart for each child. I assume that I can buy these at the airport, or should I buy them online ahead of time. I'm just not sure if they will ship to the US and arrive before we leave in two weeks.
Reputatie 5
Basically, you will need a ticket for every member of your group, young or adult. Since the Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket does not have a young persons version, you must either buy an "adult" Amsterdam Region Ticket for the childern as well, or let them travel by train on a Railrunner ticket - by far the chapest possibility. However, for non-railway transport (tram, bus, metro) the youngsters will then need a single ticket for every trip, or an anonymous OV-Chipkaart. In this case (tram, bus, metro) the minimum required credit for a trip is four euros. Local trips will hardly cost more than two euros, regional (bus)trips are a little more expensive.

For your trip to Den Haag, just enter all six names on the group ticket form on the website. This is the only ticket you must obtain in advance; the other tickets may also be bought at the airport or elsewhere in the region. Single trip tickets are also sold on the tram or bus, but can only be paid by card, not cash.
OK. Thank you again. This has been extremely helpful.
Reputatie 4
However, for non-railway transport (tram, bus, metro) the youngsters will then need a single ticket for every trip, or an anonymous OV-Chipkaart. In this case (tram, bus, metro) the minimum required credit for a trip is four euros. Local trips will hardly cost more than two euros, regional (bus)trips are a little more expensive.
The local transport company that does trams, busses and metros in Amsterdam (GVB) also offers a children's day pass for € 2,50.

For your days in Heemskerk and Amsterdam I advise you to buy an Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket for the adults, and Railrunners and GVB children's day passes for the children.

Please note that both the Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket and Railrunners are valid for (multiple) calendar days (i.e. from 0:00 AM till 4:00 AM the next morning, 28 hours in total). By contrast, the GVB children's pass is valid for 24 hours starting from the moment it is first validated.
Reputatie 5

The local transport company that does trams, busses and metros in Amsterdam (GVB) also offers a children's day pass for € 2,50.

Thank you Maarten86, I missed that one. Small correction: the current price of the childern's 24-hour pass (GVB only) is € 3.75.

Reageer