beantwoord

Can i buy an e-ticket using my creditcard?

• 4 april 2014
  • 54 reacties
  • 10868 Bekeken

Living in South Africa. We going to visit Holland end of April. Possible to buy e-tickets from South Africa with our Creditcard?
icon

Beste antwoord door Anonymous 4 april 2014, 20:14

Unfortunately not. E-tickets can only be paid by iDeal for which you need a Dutch bank account.

There are about 15 railway stations in this country where tickets can be bought, either from a ticket machine or at the Ticket & Service office that can be paid by Creditcard.
Assuming that you will arrive at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, at the trainstation over there tickets can be paid by Creditcard, same as at Amsterdam Central station and some other greater railway stations.

Please note that if you have the possible to order for e-ticket for instance via relatives in this country that e-ticket cannot be changed (date) and no refund will be given.
So in case you could order e-tickets in advance there's always the risk that such e-tickets cannot be used anymore if you are delayed of plans are changed. Even in such cases no refund will be given.

So the most secure way seems to be to buy your tickets at Shiphol Airport and pay with your Creditcard.

Please note that when paying by Creditcard the price of the tickets an additional fee of €1,00 will be charged to cover the costs of using the CC.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently and wishing you a safe flight to our country,

Best regards

Hans

Bekijk origineel

54 reacties

Unfortunately not. E-tickets can only be paid by iDeal for which you need a Dutch bank account.

There are about 15 railway stations in this country where tickets can be bought, either from a ticket machine or at the Ticket & Service office that can be paid by Creditcard.
Assuming that you will arrive at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, at the trainstation over there tickets can be paid by Creditcard, same as at Amsterdam Central station and some other greater railway stations.

Please note that if you have the possible to order for e-ticket for instance via relatives in this country that e-ticket cannot be changed (date) and no refund will be given.
So in case you could order e-tickets in advance there's always the risk that such e-tickets cannot be used anymore if you are delayed of plans are changed. Even in such cases no refund will be given.

So the most secure way seems to be to buy your tickets at Shiphol Airport and pay with your Creditcard.

Please note that when paying by Creditcard the price of the tickets an additional fee of €1,00 will be charged to cover the costs of using the CC.

I hope to have informed you sufficiently and wishing you a safe flight to our country,

Best regards

Hans

Welcome to our serviceforum De Lint!

Hans answer is correct. You can only buy etickets using iDeal, secure online banking with a Dutch bank. Fore more information about (other) tickets, please see: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/arrange-and-buy

Have a safe flight to the Netherlands.

Kind reagrds,
Inge

P.s. I've replaced your topic in our subforum Overige Producten and changed the name to make it more easy to find.
Credit cards are pretty useless in the NL. A normal bank or debit card (Maestro/V-pay) will do though, and are also accepted in ticket vending machines on train stations. If you rather buy your ticket online, you can do so at several foreign websites, such as that of the Belgian railway company: www.b-europe.com
Reputatie 1
Inge sorry to bother you about this again. 15 years ago my first employer with a webshop with 6 employees, we accept all mayor creditcards. Why can etickets still not be purchased with a creditcard ?!
You just simply have to admit its extremely bad impression on for forein visitors in such a small country you can not buy a e-ticket online without a creditcard. Seriously put I consider it a PR joke.

Next year I will be organizing an event in Rotterdam for a non profit organisation and people from outside the Netherlands will be coming. People from Germany, Belgium, France, Switerland, Italy, United States and Canada. And what does the NS have to offer ?
An expensive OV chipkaart you first need to buy a one time OV chipkaart for 1 Euro and then 50 cents for your creditcard...

Come its 2016!!! There is simply no excuse in the world to net sell e-tickets with only ideal.
So when can we expect this feature. More people requested this ? Or is there another website ?
Then still you need to search for it. I was hoping I could make it easy for my guests to catch a train and make it as cheap as possible. 😃
Hello roderickklein. I would like to give you a clear and informative answer. Therefore, I've asked this at another department and as soon as I have an answer for you I am going to explain this. For now I can only say that's just not an option at this moment. I hope to give you a more clear explanation soon.
Come its 2016!!! There is simply no excuse in the world to net sell e-tickets with only ideal.
So when can we expect this feature. More people requested this ? Or is there another website ?
Then still you need to search for it. I was hoping I could make it easy for my guests to catch a train and make it as cheap as possible. :D

This may be interesting for you: http://www.ns.nl/zakelijk/reselling-treinkaarten/grote-aantallen-treinkaartjes.html

Furthermore on www.b-europe.com as far as I know all ordinary e-tickets with destination Rotterdam Central station are available. They do accept credit card payment of course.
Reputatie 2
On b-europe.com, all Dutch destinations are available.
On b-europe.com, all Dutch destinations are available.

That is not completely true. Either the arrival station or the departure station must be in some list of important stations.

For example: They sell tickets from Rotterdam Alexander to Rotterdam Central station and tickets from Rotterdam Central station to Rotterdam Blaak, but no tickets from Rotterdam Alexander to Rotterdam Blaak.

If the people visiting Roderickklein's event want to go to Alexander or Blaak, they cannot always buy their ticket via www.b-europe.com.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
The terms and conditions of NS e-tickets are so customer unfriendly that I strongly advice against using that 'service' if you're not a Dutch resident and just buy train tickets from the ticket machines on the day of travel. There are no advantages in buying tickets in advance: no reductions nor seat reservations.
By using an e-ticket you avoid having to pay a €1 fine per ticket for using the ticket vending machine.
Credit card payment is possible at the ticket machine at the station, but on the website, we do not offer this option. We do offer payments with iDeal, and this is widely accepted in the Netherlands. Providing an additional credit card payment is, for the majority of our customers, not an added value and therefore we do not provide this option.

It is true that within the e-ticket ordering process it is not clear from the start of the ordering that you can only pay with iDeal, which may indeed be better and that suggestion has also been passed to the web content team.

For customers from abroad, there is also the site: https://www.discoverholland.com/ Here, foreign customers can order daytrips (Madurodam, Efteling, Railway Museum, Amsterdam) and pay with VISA; Bancontact / Mister Cash; MasterCard; AmericanExpress; sofort; Giropay and PayPal. Buying a ticket with creditcard from any station in the Netherlands to another station within the Netherlands is, and will not yet be, possible via this site.
Reputatie 1
Inge NS en Laura NS.

Here is again the very simple question. Why can somebody not simply buy an eticket at home and print it before he or she travels to the Netherlands. And without a creditcard charge! Since most tickets desk have closed. Mayor cities like Zoetermeer for example have no more ticketdesks (how many are left).
So lets make live easy for people travelling to this tiny country.

What is the reason a creditcard can not be used to buy an eticket ? Or is it because NS wants to make money on selling the 1 Euro paper OV chipcards and then charge 50 Euro cent for the use of a credit card.
I am just asking it as the discussion is so silly these days... Why so much bureaucracy is involved to get an answer why it can not be done.

I asked this question already 5 years, if not longer ago, to a person at the NS customer center (I made a phone call). I got to hear the NS "was not ready yet" to accept credit cards...
We are now 5 years further. Does NS not know how to implement creditcard support in a webshop ?

More people ask for the option to be able to buy a train ticket in advanced over the internet. Its simply easy when you arrive at Schiphol you know you have a valid ticket and can board the train. Why must it be made so complex. Yes you can buy a ticket at the machine at 1.50 E per ticket extra.

Again its 2016 and other people in the forum point to a the website of the Belgium railways to be able to buy train tickets. I mean I am extremely sorry to say. But does this whole discussion not come accross as simply customer unfriendly... That customers have to figure out its easier to the website of the NMBS and buy a ticket there. I mean it just can not get more silly.... As a marketing guy for the NS I would sit behind my desk with red face and just think how other webshops function. And since the most people at NS privately also did a purchase at a webshop once.... Go figure...

A tech guy would take it about 1 day to implement Paypal/creditcard payment for etickets...
Trains sometimes run late, but also the introduction of technology that is common on the internet already for more then 10 years, seems to have the biggest delay with NS.

I guess I will send an email off to Maatschapij voorbeterOV and see what there opinion is on something so simple. This "public" transport which should be easy to use...
Hi roderickklein, i'm sorry to read that you are not satisfied with our service. I understand this is an issue for you and maybe other customers abroad, but there are several other options. As Laura NS also mentioned the main reason this is not provided in the payment options is because this is for the majority of our customers not an added value.

I understand this answer may not be satisfying enough for you and i'm sorry for that. I will put your signal through and maybe in the future this will be implemented in our payment options. Thank you for your feedback we appreciate this and will take this into consideration to improve our services.
Reputatie 1
Oke thanks for your response. I have send my comments on to the Dutch public transport advocacy group
Maatschapij voor Beter OV and see if they can get the rusty clockwork of NS moving.:?
Reputatie 1
"As Laura NS also mentioned the main reason this is not provided in the payment options is because this is for the majority of our customers not an added value. "

I just updated my message. But I think I know enough and will send this reply off to other parties such as Rover. NS is a *public* transport company. And with little cost you can provide this service to the customers.

Maybe it could be educational to see how many people have asked for this feature in the forum. Dutch people living abroad, Dutch people living just accross the border.
Or people who visit the Netherlands, private of business people.
If you then take into acount how many people are annoyed and walk away from the train and don't take the trouble to ask in the forum... Maybe that is a better question to ask...

So I really doubt the statement that there is little demand for credit card payments is the right analyses.
I guess if somebody can not by a ticket as a visitor from outside the Netherlands, he will take another means of transport. Webshops normaly display which payments methods are accept. How is somebody from the USA supposed to know what IDEAL is !??! So he tries to buy a card and finds out he can not use a credit card. WHy would he ask in a forum. He will take a taxi or find other means of transportation.

Then again I am not amazed that this response is given by the NS.
Heck even the Dutch parlement is basically having enough of the OV chipkaart and that is not clear for somebody coming abroad. And that its to expensive and not customer friendly.
http://nos.nl/artikel/2027985-kamer-wil-ov-kaart-voor-toeristen.html

In my opinion the NS is not being customer friendly in this dossier and remains a bureaucratic entity that seems to know what there customers want. In this case I get the impression the marketing department needs to look what EXPECTED by customers, not what customers ask for.
Reputatie 4
NS is a *public* transport company.
No, all train companies in the Netherlands including NS are private companies and are supposed to make a profit. The only special thing about NS is that its only shareholder is the Ministry of Finance, but also this Ministry demands NS to generate annually a healthy profit.

Maybe it could be educational to see how many people have asked for this feature in the forum. Dutch people living abroad, Dutch people living just accross the border. Or people who visit the Netherlands, private of business people.

To be honest, visitors from abroad are no priority for public transport in the Netherlands as their numbers (except for local transport in Amsterdam) are only a very small percentage of the total a number of passengers.

The payment system for public transport is therefore fully optimized for locals only. Within two years time it will also no longer be possible to buy a ticket in bus and tram in the Netherlands unless you have a Dutch bankcard. Cash is then also not accepted anymore.

I guess if somebody can not by a ticket as a visitor from outside the Netherlands, he will take another means of transport.

Most foreign people arrive by air and buy a paperticket at Schiphol Airport.
Reputatie 1
What I rather mean is that its *public" transport. I am not talking about who owns the the company but rather it should be easy for traveller to access _public_ transport and how he pays for it.
When it comes to generating a profit and and the cost of a creditcard. Most ticket desks have been closed. Carrying that little cost of the creditcard is a lot cheaper. Since you made the discussion broader, yes it should be easier to buy any public transport ticket for people who visit our country!

As for not being able to buy a ticket on a bus without a creditcard in two years time. The companies that do not supply this service are pretty stupid and its a pitty the goverment does not step in. Did you not see the link I posted. Even the Dutch parlement in 2015 had a discussion about wanting a ticket for tourists and visitors from outside the country. For me that says enough how customer unfocussed the public sector functions...

For the "few" tourists (as you put), that is why in Zeeland they brought back a paper ticket for German tourists. As not everybody wanted to buy an anonymous OV chipcard:
http://www.connexxion.nl/reizen/1190/de-zeeuwse-strip/2209

Yes and you know what does people are being ripped off with OV chipcard charge of 1 Euro and then 50 cents for the creditcard. What a "warm" welcome to our small country when you arrive at Schiphol airport.
As for foreign travllers people also enter our country by rail from Germany and Belgium.

Friends of mine made tour by train from Germany via Belgium. In the Netherlands they had most trouble buying a train ticket. Some tickets they purchased via the NMBS. But you know its of course pretty stupid a traveller has to figure this out by him self... They wanted to buy all tickets so they stick to there travel schedudle.
In Rotterdam they simply walked for the few journeys as the loose tickets where pretty expensive....

As the saying goes. Getting there is half the fun. Well not if you have to find out how the system work.
The system should be easy for people from outside the Netherlands to use. And also outside Amsterdam there are tourists that use and WANT to use _public_ transport.

Instead of saying why its all not possible, the NS should look at other countries and other cities where many years ago you can at ticket machine AND via the internet buy a ticket. In a lot of cases even without a credit card charge!
Take a look at Deutsche Bahn machines. I can even buy a ticket from a small station to for example small town in the Netherlands. Is that possible in the Netherlands.

According to some people we are a trading nation. Well when it comes to our public transport system it certainly really public transport for people who live in the Netherlands. But for people from outside the country its a bureaucratic journey to use _public_ transport.

Again a warm warm welcome to our small country...
Reputatie 4
Don't shoot the messenger, I just tell how things are.

What I rather mean is that its *public" transport. I am not talking about who owns the the company but rather it should be easy for traveller to access _public_ transport and how he pays for it.

I understand, but in all discussions about public transport in the Netherlands costs are the only dominating factor. A large part of the population never uses public transport and therefore doesn't want taxpayers money to float into public transport which they consider to be a hobby of a minority. Accepting creditcards could therefore only be considered if the cardowner pays for all charges imposed by the creditcard company.

As for not being able to buy a ticket on a bus without a creditcard in two years time. The companies that do not supply this service are pretty stupid and its a pitty the government does not step in.

The government even demands this for safety reasons, being this under pressure from the labour unions.

Even the Dutch parlement in 2015 had a discussion about wanting a ticket for tourists and visitors from outside the country.

That ticket is available, but only upon arrival here. However it's so expensive that it's not interesting for tourists unless they sit all day in the train.

As for foreign travellers people also enter our country by rail from Germany and Belgium.

Yes, but then they already have a ticket for the Dutch part of their journey.

Friends of mine made tour by train from Germany via Belgium. In the Netherlands they had most trouble buying a train ticket. Some tickets they purchased via the NMBS. But you know its of course pretty stupid a traveller has to figure this out by him self... They wanted to buy all tickets so they stick to there travel schedudle. In Rotterdam they simply walked for the few journeys as the loose tickets where pretty expensive....

The comparison with Belgium and Germany is not fair as these countries heavily subsidize their public transport. By the way, day tickets in the Rotterdam area are quite reasonably priced.

Instead of saying why its all not possible, the NS should look at other countries and other cities where many years ago you can at ticket machine AND via the internet buy a ticket. In a lot of cases even without a credit card charge! Take a look at Deutsche Bahn machines. I can even buy a ticket from a small station to for example small town in the Netherlands..

Public transport in Germany is subsidized by 8 billion euro's a year, that makes a difference in affordable service levels.
Seriously!!! I can't believe the discussion and certainly not the answers given by the NS. All the excuses about cost and other stuff. I can promise you that a vast majority of people will be happy to pay the additional fees that the Credit Card company charges the NS. I was going to book a ticket from Schiphol to Maassluis for Euro 13 and I would love to pay the additional Euro 1 for the convenience of booking a ticket online. Because trying to get a ticket back from Maassluis to Schiphol is basically impossible since there is no ticket counter unless you have cash (I think). The last time I tried the ticket machine didn't accept my credit card and I was scrambling to get my ticket paid. Even Amtrak in the US (this is supposed to be one of the worst and dated train service in the Western civilization is offering this service. So why can't the NS provide this. Correct, the majority of your customers don't have a need for this, but if you want to be successful you can't forget the minority and underestimate the possible opportunity. And if somebody at a market stand can receive a payment from a credit card from Apps like Square, how can the NS not make this work!?
Hi FlyingDutchman. Welcome to our Serviceforum.

I understand our response(s) are not satisfying. Registering your requests and complaints is all we can do for now. It takes different departments and people to decide if we will offer creditcard as a payment method in the future. In the meantime most of our ticketmachines have the Creditcard option now. I can't say if paying with a creditcard will be possible in the near future but this has been an ongoing subject here behind the scenes for a while.
Welcome to our serviceforum De Lint!

Hans answer is correct. You can only buy etickets using iDeal, secure online banking with a Dutch bank. Fore more information about (other) tickets, please see: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/arrange-and-buy

Have a safe flight to the Netherlands.

Kind reagrds,
Inge

P.s. I've replaced your topic in our subforum Overige Producten and changed the name to make it more easy to find.

What's the point putting information for visitors to the Netherlands if there is NO WAY you can buy a ticket online. iDeal is only for people with a Dutch bank account. The service of NS is very user- and environment unfriendly and will only stimulate that visitors, such as myself, will find themselves forced to opt for - much more expensive and polluting - car hire. If you do not except credit card payments for the e-tickets, why not opt to add the possibility to pay by PayPal. This is an international secure paying method. But why should I suggest such a pretty simple and flexible solution if you have - no doubt - a whole team of overpaid PR people that could have come up with that brilliant idea.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Like I wrote in an earlier message https://forum.ns.nl/overige-producten-6/can-i-buy-an-e-ticket-using-my-creditcard-1174?postid=158756 the terms and conditions for NS e-tickets are so unfavourable that I wouldn't recommend buying a ticket in advance to my worst enemy. There is no way to change anything once you've bought the ticket: you can't cancel or change the tickets. There are many complaints from Dutch travellers about the inflexibly of NS e-tickets.

My advice is to buy a train ticket from a machine on the day of travel. That's gives you maximum flexibility. Another option is to look for special offers once you've arrived in NL.
Hello, can I purchase group return ticket at the counter and pay by Visa or Mastercard?
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
No, you can only buy it via internet using a Dutch bankaccount.
I always thought that The Netherlands was part of Europe. To argue with the Dutch customers exclusively is arrogant and exclusive. To argue that tourists are only travelling in Amsterdam is ignorant. I just spent 1 hour to find this information and book through the Belgian Railways (as suggested above). I'd be totally embarrased if I ran the company.
If you don't want customers from outside the Netherlands, then plase say it right away!
If you want those customers, then provide an internationally accepted way to buy a ticket with international paymanet methods!

Reageer