beantwoord

Discount for foreign students

• 9 September 2022
  • 4 reacties
  • 123 Bekeken

Hello! I came to the Netherlands for my studies and I was wondering if I am entitled to a transportation discount.

icon

Beste antwoord door Tochjo 9 September 2022, 19:32

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Badge +3

If you are eligible for Dutch student finance, then you are entitled to the student travel product. If you are not, then you need to buy a season ticket for the regular fare if you want discount.

Good morning,

Several years ago I did arrange for a student train pass: free weekend and discounted weekday traveling.

I cannot find a similar program on the NS website for another grand daughter who will study in Zwolle in February, March and April. I paid a monthly fee at the time and I like to do this again.

She is currently at a US university and will have a study exchange and will take the opportunity to see as much of her heritage as possible.

Can you please advise me where to look and what information is needed to obtain a similar product for me to purchase for my grand daughter’s benefit.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Jack Van’t Spyker.

Alliston, Ontario, Canada.  

Badge +3

This season ticket still exists, it's called Weekend Vrij. It's not specifically for students, anyone can buy it. Note that it's only offered as an NS Flex season ticket, meaning no topping up and travelling on invoice. Also note that the discount for travelling during off-peak hours is an option that needs to be selected during the ordering process.

It's cumbersome to order any NS season ticket if you don't have a Dutch bank account. If you have relatives living in the Netherlands, the easiest way to order is probably to have them do it and pay them for any expenses.

Badge +3

The first thing to do is obtain a personal ov-chipcard for her (to be sent to a Dutch address), then obtain a subscription.

For payment (and monthly auto-debit), a EU IBAN is necessary (with initial iDeal payment preferred).

A free Revolut bank account should work, but UK and CH IBANs are exempt because they are non-EU (although they fully support SEPA auto-debit transactions).

Best to have it handled by someone in the Neterlands. If you really can’t get help elsewhere, contact me in a PM (private message) because it requires a lot of personal information*

Full name, date of birth, e-mail address, Dutch residential address, photo and preferably a EU IBAN or credit card details.

Reageer