beantwoord

Feel passengers holding group return tickets are discriminated by a few train inspector sometimes

• 22 november 2017
  • 38 reacties
  • 773 Bekeken

This had happened to me and other friends too.
Train inspector saying our ticket is not valid because the whole group is not traveling together, also, quote her "it is not right to travel this far with 7 euro", and passenger is asked to leave the train or receive fine. Last Sunday when I showed the inspector it's mentioned on NS website that the group do NOT need to travel together, the inspector said "its not possible to travel to my destination anymore at that hour", except that it was still possible because of course I would check NS planner for train possibilities before I departure.

I understand that sometimes we are wrong if we're not traveling within the route, or did not print the ticket, or did not save it in our NS app. And the train inspectors are just doing their jobs and they're right.

But clearly disregarding the rules on the website saying the group does not need to travel together is deliberate, that feels like discrimination to me. I always like to just be safe and obey the rule. I wouldn't do this if the rules say otherwise and the inspector should know the real rules too, not whatever he/she believes is right and ask passenger to get off or get fine.

I have traveled many times with NS and met many very nice, kind train inspectors who helped me with directions and treat me just like other passengers when I hold a group return ticket as long as I am doing it within the rules. But recently the incidents I have heard and experienced make me think some train inspectors intimidate passenger, or they did not, and it was just what I felt.

Anyway, with all respects, I also understand if the group ticket is more expensive next year depends on how far you travel, and more rules are added in to prevent misconduct. As passengers I would still pay attention to the new rules, and I resent anyone who play with group return to make profit via facebook. Although I also hope some of the train inspectors will start respect the rules too, not abusing their respectable power.
icon

Beste antwoord door Thomas NS 22 november 2017, 19:42

I think that the most important point have been discussed already. Still, Eslind, I understand your point of view: it's not right that this option is even there, because for foreigners it's nearly impossible to know that this way of travelling is not legitimate. The conductor could have approached you with a little bit more understanding, but from her point of view: this way of traveling is unfair to other travelers. She lectured you, which is within her role description as a conductor, and I am very pleased that you did not receive a fine for this. Next time you'll know that the right way to use a Groepsretour ticket is through our website with a group of people you assembled yourselves. That is the purpose of this ticket.

Edit: As it turned out later, I understand Eslind did receive a fine. In general, if it's the first time you've ever received a fine, it's recommended to contact our Customer Service. You might be able to get the €50 increase removed out of leniency, although this is not always possible. In the case of Eslind, we weren't able to do this unfortunately.
Bekijk origineel

38 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Yes, and they have to pronounce the Frisian language correctly doing that. I cannot be the judge, I am biased.:D

It's gonna sound real funny when a "Zeeuw" tries to do that :P

And if this is going to be mandatory for all such tickets it 's going to be even more fun. Last week somebody got a fine with a ticket Maastricht - Leiden who deviated from the route, a Limburger pronouncing it in Leids. As a born Leienaar I think my ears will hurt then 😳
Reputatie 7
Badge
This is a nice way for foreigners to quickly understand the Dutch "discrimination" fines.
And thank you everyone for answering my questions.
It could feel strange before I actually heard from everyone and not being able to judge the right way. Like I said they were not doing it but it was how I could feel from the way I was spoken to, when it was not clearly explained to me.
As a foreigner we do pay 4 times of the dutch tuition to study here and more to rent a room, internationals don't enjoy student travel either,or any help in life, and it is almost not possible for us to read through all the terms and understand everything quickly. If I am already working I probably wouldn't need to think about how's cheaper to travel.
As I also realized when people are willing to explain to you what's going on correctly, things would be easier and most people I met here are like this.
Hopefully next year NS will change the conditions of using group return again so it wouldn't be unfair for people who don't use this product.

I consider my question solved now. And to prevent anyone from getting the wrong idea from my topic, the topic could be deleted
Badge +3
Hold on..

I can completely understand somebody wanted to go from Maastricht to Leiden, and ended up somewhere outside the given route (should be via Utrecht) OR via Rotterdam (which can be faster or less transits so totally possible at times).

What did that person's (printed of loaded in app ticket) say? If it had Maastricht - Leiden a conductor should know that via Eindhoven - Tilburg - Breda - Rotterdam should be an option (although not completely valid according to the planner)?

With a chipcard, there would not be any problem to make that journey.
Badge +3

Thank YOU for your feedback Eslind, including taking the blame and being honest during this (ongoing) discussion about 'group' tickets and the way they are advertised on social media.

Do you have a credit card? Maybe www.tripkey.nl is a viable alternative for travel in NL during your stay here. (One card, no worries!)

Check it out. Discount for train travel is 20% outside peak hours, and you can rent OV-fiets (bicycles) etc.

Thank YOU for your feedback Eslind, including taking the blame and being honest.

Do you have a credit card? Maybe www.tripkey.nl is a good alternative to buying a personal chipcard with additional subscriptions. Check it out, discount for train is 20% outside peak hours.

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't have a credit card but I subscribed Dal Voordeel just now
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
That person found a travel advise via Den Bosch and Schiphol and another one via Eindhoven / Tilburg. Both were on a different days, one was on the 11th, the other one the 12th.
He was checked between Den Bosch and Tilburg travelling on the 8th.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Eslind,
you are always welcome here for tips on how to travel cheap within the rules of NS.
Throughout the year there are several kinds of discounted tickets available from retailers like AH, Kruidvat, Hema.
You can also check "Actie van de dag"or the Spoordeelwinkel.
And NS sells a "Seizoensretour"(3 day return tickets for €33 total, 1 in the fall, 1 in the winter and 1 in the spring).
Reputatie 7
Badge
About studying as foreigner: Dutch people pay the same amount, however they get subsidy but pay it back by different taxes. Nothing is free in this country.
Your feeling is not unusual. I had the same pricelift when I studied abroad. But that is not a reason to abuse the group ticket, and complain when you get a fine. The fine is part of the game.

And the same when traveling in f.i South America where train and flight tickets are much cheaper for locals.
Comparing countries is tricky.
About studying as foreigner: Dutch people pay the same amount, however they get subsidy but pay it back by different taxes. Nothing is free in this country.
Your feeling is not unusual. I had the same pricelift when I studied abroad. But that is not a reason to abuse the group ticket, and complain when you get a fine. The fine is part of the game.

And the same when traveling in f.i South America where train and flight tickets are much cheaper for locals.
Comparing countries is tricky.

For EU countries that is the same amount 2,060, for international outside is about 9000, and master 16,000.

And like I said I did not abuse the product because I paid more elsewhere, that is because I didn't know until someone cleared that out to me
Reputatie 7
Badge
For EU countries that is the same amount 2,060, for international outside is about 9000, and master 16,000.

Ah. OK. I understand. The real costs of a university study are approx 9,000/16,000 Euro. In between EU there is subsidizing too, based on reversed student exchange. This subsidy is only for young people. I paid for my Master 10.000 GBP in UK.
I did received a fine, between getting out in the night = risk reaching my destination and pay a fine, I chose to stay on the train because the outside was cold and I don't know how long before there is the next train. This is the first time I ever received a fine. I think I didn't really have another choice.
Apologies for the delayed reply, Eslind. If you did receive a fine after all, I would suggest contacting our Customer Service once you've received the letter with the payment slip to pay the fine. From what I understand, the fine itself was justified, but if its your very first fine ever, we might be able to remove the €50 increase out of leniency. You can contact us via 030-7515155, Facebook or Twitter. Or, if you'd like to keep it on our Forum, you can send me a private message with your full name, zip code, house number, date of birth and the fine reference number. You can send me a private message by clicking on my name and then via the button 'Stuur bericht'.
I did received a fine, between getting out in the night = risk reaching my destination and pay a fine, I chose to stay on the train because the outside was cold and I don't know how long before there is the next train. This is the first time I ever received a fine. I think I didn't really have another choice.
Apologies for the delayed reply, Eslind. If you did receive a fine after all, I would suggest contacting our Customer Service once you've received the letter with the payment slip to pay the fine. From what I understand, the fine itself was justified, but if its your very first fine ever, we might be able to remove the €50 increase out of leniency. You can contact us via 030-7515155, Facebook or Twitter. Or, if you'd like to keep it on our Forum, you can send me a private message with your full name, zip code, house number, date of birth and the fine reference number. You can send me a private message by clicking on my name and then via the button 'Stuur bericht'.

Thank you for the suggestion, I sent private message to you.

Reageer