beantwoord

NS Reisplanner Xtra: why no credit card/PayPal for mobile tickets?

Hey everyone,
I'm very curious how is it possible in our modern age that I can buy a mobile ticket only if I have a Dutch bank account. Netherlands is not an isolated and closed country like Russia or North Korea.

I want to buy mobile tickets even if I'm a tourist for one day. Ticket machines are soooo 1990s.

What's the reason? Even in the communist Belarus (which is still an isolated dictatorship) you can pay your train tickets with Visa/Mastercard.

Thanks!
icon

Beste antwoord door iMark 5 juni 2018, 17:00

Since a couple of months you can pay for your tickets with American Express, Mastercard or Visa.

When you go to the NS website you can order your ticket. When you go through the process you will eventually see this screen:

After your payment you can load your ticket in the NS Xtra app, which needs to be on your smartphone.
Bekijk origineel

14 reacties

Badge +3
And it's up to retailers to decide which payments they accept. Some even have stopped accepted cash payments.
Some Jumbo supermarkets have now started accepting Visa and Mastercard credit cards. But Albert Heijn still doesn't want to deal with any credit cards. Some analysts however argue that not accepting credit cards by most supermarkets in NL is one of the reasons why prices are low compared to other countries in Western Europe.
I had to request an additional Maestro-card besides a debit MasterCard for the majority of shops in the Netherlands, including supermarkets like Albert Heijn and Jumbo. All rejecting debit and credit Mastercards, only accepting Maestro and VPay cards.
Reputatie 5
I would be really suprised if you could find a Visa or Mastercard debit card that is not accepted in any place in The Netherlands that does accept any cards at all. If that doesn't work I completely agree with you that is a problem that should be fixed.
@Arseface my point was that it's 2018, too. However, I disagree with credit cards being "world standard". Simply put, they are not used very much in Western Europe and we've got other technologies (which I consider saver) in use here. To me, credit cards are at least as outdated as coins and notes.

Just because something is used in the US and some less developed countries, doesn't make it modern or world standard. Compare it to the imperial measurements system. That's also still in use only in the US and a very small number of other countries, yet people from the US still seem to think it's modern and world standard.

Well by CC I meant visa/mastercard standard. It might be also debit
Reputatie 5
@Arseface my point was that it's 2018, too. However, I disagree with credit cards being "world standard". Simply put, they are not used very much in Western Europe and we've got other technologies (which I consider saver) in use here. To me, credit cards are at least as outdated as coins and notes.

Just because something is used in the US and some less developed countries, doesn't make it modern or world standard. Compare it to the imperial measurements system. That's also still in use only in the US and a very small number of other countries, yet people from the US still seem to think it's modern and world standard.
Badge +3
Here in NL there's a long tradition of paying with debit cards. Credit cards are hardly used by Dutch consumers in their own country. The transaction costs for debit cards are very low, even lower than handling cash. Credit card charges now have to be absorbed by the retailers but these charges will drive up prices. I think most Dutch consumers are happy to continue using debit cards, especially the the contactless version.
Thank you guys for replying!
My point was, its 2018 and Western Europe is like the most developed place on earth. We all use modern technologies so paying with coins and notes feels kinda back in time.

Even in Belarus (which is the poorest country in Europe, isolated from the world, still a dictatorship) you can pay with Mastercard/Visa almost everywhere. Even you can buy an ice cream or a bus ticket which is €0,25 with card. And there are no special cards like maestro here, you just use the world standard mastercard/visa.
Reputatie 5
Thanks for cortecting me, iMark. Apparently my view on credit cards was outdated.

I disagree with you about credit cards being saver 'though. The insurance is a valid point, but I was already aware that credit cards offer pin protection. The problem with this is, that transactions can still be made without actually entering the code, at least in some cases, e.g. for online booking. Obviously payments could be disputed and would likely be reverted especially in such a case, but still I wouldn't like having to dispute a transaction made that way without my consent that should - in my opinion - not have been possible to be completed in the first place.
Badge +3
Actually credit card payments are considered to be safer than debit card payments. A credit card payment can be disputed and reversed. Many credit cards offer insurance when you purchase something. In Europe credit cards are issued with Chip and Pin and these cards have exactly the same safety features as debit cards. (Only US cards are now issued with chip and signature.)
Furthermore, EU consumers no longer pay extra transaction (Mastercard and Visa) costs since 1st January 2018 when using a credit card for payments although legislation in the Netherlands and Belgium wasn't ready by the 1st of January.
Reputatie 5
On a side note, not accepting credit cards is really something completely different than not accepting payments from foreign bank accounts. Credit cards are rarely used not only in The Netherlands, but in Europe and you were already free to pay with basically any debit card.

Transactions with a debit card are usually cheaper (no transaction costs) and thoses cards are considered more safe as they cannot be used without a code, while there are many places where a lost credit card could be abused without as much as a code or even a signature.
Badge +3
It should work in the update that was released yesterday.
Thanks! But why can't I do it on the app?
Release notes for yesterday’s iOS Reisplanner Xtra update :)

Badge +3
Since a couple of months you can pay for your tickets with American Express, Mastercard or Visa.

When you go to the NS website you can order your ticket. When you go through the process you will eventually see this screen:

After your payment you can load your ticket in the NS Xtra app, which needs to be on your smartphone.

Reageer