beantwoord

The best ticket option:suggestion required

• 8 september 2017
  • 12 reacties
  • 449 Bekeken

I'm travelling from Amsterdam airport to The Hague central on September 27th, returning back to the airport on the 30th; during that period I'm planning to go sightseeing to Amsterdam (mainly the Van Gogh museum and old city) on Friday 29th: which ticket solution do you recommend? Is the OV card cheaper than buying separate ticket?I usually tend to walk but if the weather is bad, a daily ticket for when in Amsterdam is suitable? Thank you for any advice. Michela
icon

Beste antwoord door Rudi 8 september 2017, 23:56

In view of your proposed travel pattern, I presume the "anonymus OV-chipkaart" is a suitable option. It can be bought at ticket machines and ticket offices at any station, including Schiphol Airport. The price is a non-refundable 7.50 euro, payable by credit card, or cash at the ticket office only. However, you will also need to top up the card to a minimum of 16 euro in order to start a trip by train,or 4 euro to start a trip by tram or bus. When leaving the country,a Chipkaart balance *up to 30 euro* is refundable in cash at the railway ticket office.

Alternatively, single tickets are available, costing one euro more than the fare that will be deducted from the OV-Chipkaart. Single tickets on trams and buses are generally (much) more expensive than the kilometer based fare, charged to the Chipkaart.

A 24-hour ticket in Amsterdam would cost 7.50 euro, certainly more than a few OV-Chipkaart rides in the central part of the city.

In the end, you should balance the extra cost of single tickets against the purchase of the OV-Chipkaart, and the ease of use, especially when using local transport.
Bekijk origineel

12 reacties

Reputatie 5
In view of your proposed travel pattern, I presume the "anonymus OV-chipkaart" is a suitable option. It can be bought at ticket machines and ticket offices at any station, including Schiphol Airport. The price is a non-refundable 7.50 euro, payable by credit card, or cash at the ticket office only. However, you will also need to top up the card to a minimum of 16 euro in order to start a trip by train,or 4 euro to start a trip by tram or bus. When leaving the country,a Chipkaart balance *up to 30 euro* is refundable in cash at the railway ticket office.

Alternatively, single tickets are available, costing one euro more than the fare that will be deducted from the OV-Chipkaart. Single tickets on trams and buses are generally (much) more expensive than the kilometer based fare, charged to the Chipkaart.

A 24-hour ticket in Amsterdam would cost 7.50 euro, certainly more than a few OV-Chipkaart rides in the central part of the city.

In the end, you should balance the extra cost of single tickets against the purchase of the OV-Chipkaart, and the ease of use, especially when using local transport.
Hello Michela, welcome to the NS Serviceforum.

I think the best ticket for you to buy is the Amsterdam Travel Ticket. For only €26,00 you can travel 3 days for free in Amsterdam and also from Schiphol to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam to Schiphol. All the detailed information about this ticket you can find on our website.
Reputatie 5
Sorry, Annewil NS, but I think your answer does not meet Michela's proposed travel pattern. She will be travelling Schiphol-Den Haag and Den Haag-Amsterdam return; not Amsterdam-Schiphol. The Amsterdam Travel Ticket does not cover these trips.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Instead of buying an OV-chipcard for €7.50 you could use Tripkey
You pay a registration fee of €3.50 and can then use the card for all public transport. You could even rent an OV-bike to go around Amsterdam.
You don't have to put money on the card, you will receive an invoice that you pay with your creditcard.
You can pick up the card at Hertz Schiphol
You're right Rudi, didn't read it well. Excuse me!
Instead of buying an OV-chipcard for €7.50 you could use Tripkey

Great!!!!! I knew someone offered this advice on the forum before but couldn't find it with just the keyword 'key' (I couldn't remember 'Trip'). Thanks
Thank you all for all your input. In fact, if I don't go to Amsterdam city on Friday, I will pay just an onward and return for about 14€ approx..using the Intercity trains.But then I need to buy a tram ticket from Den Haag to the Marriot, so maybe the card could be useful. Just a last question; I understood that OV card works like the Oyster Card for London ( I won't pay more than the maximum daily price) but is also the case for Tripkey?do I travel with some discount or it's just handy to pay everything with a card, but at normal single ticket price? The Faq section isn't clear on this issue.
I hoped to have managed to clear myself.. :)
I'm really thankful for the helpful received.
Michela
Thanks for your kind response to all.

Just a last question; I understood that OV card works like the Oyster Card for London ( I won't pay more than the maximum daily price)
This is not the case .

If you use 'OV-chipkaart' without any additional 'products' loaded on the card, you pay full fare for all trips, without any maximum.

In case you want to cap your expenses to a max, sometimes there is a product for this. For example, if you do not want to pay more than (I just make up this amount) 10 euros for all trips with 'HTM' transit company in the Hague for a day, you can buy a sometimes paper ticket that will cover any trip on the day with HTM in The Hague (this paper ticket is seperate from 'OV-chipkaart') or sometimes you can 'load' this product on the OV-chipkaart at a machine.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
The first person who advised Tripkey on this forum said you will get 20% discount on train fare but I can not find this at their FAQ.
This discount then would not be on trams and busses.

Most bus/tram companies offer daycards.
For instance, HTM in The Hague has a daycard for €6.50. With that you can use all HTM trams and busses of HTMbuzz. With those you can even go to Delft (tram line 1)
https://www.htm.nl/vervoerbewijzen/losse-kaartjes/htm-dagkaart/
GVB in Amsterdam also sells a daycard, for €7.50
https://en.gvb.nl/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart
Reputatie 5
HTM The Hague has a minimum single ticket fare (from the driver, payable in cash) of 3.50 euro (in fact, this is a ride at will ticket for one hour), and a day ticket for 6.50 euro.
Both the OV-Chipkaart and the Tripkey charge the same kilometre based fares. The price from Central Station to the Gemeentemuseum (for Marriott) stop is about 1.60 euro (single trip)

There is no daily price cap.
Badge +3
If you can read Dutch, this website will give you the cheapest options for traveling at any given date. (No spam, just an option) but for bus, you better get an anonymous (plastic) ov-chipcard e.g. at a supermarket or train station.

I am very much surprised that Tripkey didn't work for you. It should charge the € 1,60 at any time (billed afterwards on your credit card).
Thank you again for your effort in providing me with some advice.
I found out that our association is partnering with Tripkey..so I will definitely register there.
Have a nice day:)

Reageer