beantwoord

What can I do about the fine i recieved for having an invalid discount ticket?

• 15 maart 2014
  • 3 reacties
  • 1389 Bekeken

Two days ago I was traveling to Diemen from Utrecht and I had bought a discount ticket because I understood I am eligible for that since I am a student. However it was not true because I wasnt accompanied by a Dutch student. I received a fine/ticket from the lady checking the tickets. The fine is 41.5 euro and she told me to talk with the NS Klantenservice in order to not be listed in the system or receive an extra fine or be excepted from this fine. She was bearly talking English so I did not understand much and she would not take the patience to explain. What do I have to do now? Can someone explain? Thank you in advance.
icon

Beste antwoord door Loes 15 maart 2014, 15:59

Hoi Mateo,

My English talking is better then writing. I will try to explain it to you.

If you want to travel with discount, our rules are that you have railcard with a abonnement (subscripton) on it or you are travelling with someone that have a abonnement. Than it is allowed to travel with a ticket with discount. Well, what I'm reading is that you didn't know this rules and the conductor wrote you a fine.
She did her job, so if someone does not have a valid ticket, we'll write a new ticket with the fine (that's in Dutch law). However you can call customer service to tell them you didn't know this and ask of they will cancel the fine.
On you're new ticket, also you're fine is a number in the top on the right and will begin with a D followed with six numbers, for example D123456. This number the customer services will find you're fine and then they can tell you what is to do with the fine, so if it's cancelled or not. Hopefully they will cancel it, but I don't know.

The NS customer services you can reach on number:

Monday till Friday from 08:00 to 22:00 our and on Saturday from 09:00 to 17:00 uur on telephone number 0900 - 20 21 163 (€ 0,10 per minute).
If you have a foreign number, you can call on number 030-7515250 (+31307515250).

A student must also have a abonnement for travelling with discount and that is arranged by DUO.

I hope I helped you with some information. Good luck
Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Hoi Mateo,

My English talking is better then writing. I will try to explain it to you.

If you want to travel with discount, our rules are that you have railcard with a abonnement (subscripton) on it or you are travelling with someone that have a abonnement. Than it is allowed to travel with a ticket with discount. Well, what I'm reading is that you didn't know this rules and the conductor wrote you a fine.
She did her job, so if someone does not have a valid ticket, we'll write a new ticket with the fine (that's in Dutch law). However you can call customer service to tell them you didn't know this and ask of they will cancel the fine.
On you're new ticket, also you're fine is a number in the top on the right and will begin with a D followed with six numbers, for example D123456. This number the customer services will find you're fine and then they can tell you what is to do with the fine, so if it's cancelled or not. Hopefully they will cancel it, but I don't know.

The NS customer services you can reach on number:

Monday till Friday from 08:00 to 22:00 our and on Saturday from 09:00 to 17:00 uur on telephone number 0900 - 20 21 163 (€ 0,10 per minute).
If you have a foreign number, you can call on number 030-7515250 (+31307515250).

A student must also have a abonnement for travelling with discount and that is arranged by DUO.

I hope I helped you with some information. Good luck
Dutch student have a so called Student OV-chipcard, with which they can travel free of charge either during weekdays of during the weekend.
Travelling at non-free of charge moments they may travel with a 40% discount (train) or 34% (bus, metro).
They also may take max. 3 persons with them who can then travel also with that discount.

I think tou are a student from outside the Netherlands and that you therefore does not have a students OV-card.
So the conductress, checking your ticket was right that you did nog have a valid ticket at that moment.
In such a case there are 2 options, either you are asked to leave the train and arrange for a valid, or the ricket controller offers you to write out a ticket, but in that case a fine of €35 is added to the normal ticket price.
That's not an idea of NS of the ticket controler, is a law regulation. On the paper you received you can see that that amount is pre=printed.

The only thing you can do is to contact the customer service and explain the situation.
May be they are willing to refund the €35 fine.

Telephone number etc. of NS Klantenservice (Customer service) you can find on this page .

I do hope that the procedure will be clear to you now.

Good luck an I hope Customer service finds a solution.

Best regards
Hans
Badge
Hi Mateo,
If you send me a private message with your name, adress and date of birth I will look into it and see what i can do for you.

Reageer