beantwoord

What ticket is best?

• 8 juni 2015
  • 2 reacties
  • 160 Bekeken

• Op het juiste spoor
  • 1 reactie
I will travelling in Netherlands.
Withing three days I will travel by train from Rotterdam airport to the Hague, on to Amsterdam, then day trip to Almere, then Amsterdam to Maastricht.
Am I best to buy a series of tickets? Should I prebook the Amsterdam to Maastricht trip?

Bedankt in advance for your help,
Kp1
icon

Beste antwoord door Keuzereiziger 8 juni 2015, 10:42

The most easy way for foreigners is to just buy single/return tickets at ticket machines. At these machines, credit cards are usable. For any kind of discount ticket you need a Dutch bank account, which I suppose you don't have.

Some other options: buying an anonymous OV chipcard makes traveling a bit cheaper. See https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/aanvragen/uitleg-anonieme-ovchipkaart/?taal=en. Those can be bought at tickets machines on train stations, as well as at many supermarkets. Traveling on tickets costs € 1,- per ticket extra, and trips on buses, trams en metros are up to 50% cheaper when using an OV chipcard. Downside is you have to put money on the OV chipcard, and it is not that easy to get it back when you leave the country (and that costs € 2,50 fee).

Other products that might be interesting are the Amsterdam Travel Ticket (both Amsterdam and train to Schiphol Airport) or GVB day ticket Amsterdam (only within Amsterdam). HTM, the PT company at The Hague, sells a similar product for only € 6,50.
Bekijk origineel

2 reacties

Reputatie 6
Badge +1
The most easy way for foreigners is to just buy single/return tickets at ticket machines. At these machines, credit cards are usable. For any kind of discount ticket you need a Dutch bank account, which I suppose you don't have.
Some other options: buying an anonymous OV chipcard makes traveling a bit cheaper. See https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/aanvragen/uitleg-anonieme-ovchipkaart/?taal=en. Those can be bought at tickets machines on train stations, as well as at many supermarkets. Traveling on tickets costs € 1,- per ticket extra, and trips on buses, trams en metros are up to 50% cheaper when using an OV chipcard. Downside is you have to put money on the OV chipcard, and it is not that easy to get it back when you leave the country (and that costs € 2,50 fee).

Other products that might be interesting are the Amsterdam Travel Ticket (both Amsterdam and train to Schiphol Airport) or GVB day ticket Amsterdam (only within Amsterdam). HTM, the PT company at The Hague, sells a similar product for only € 6,50.
Thankyou Keuzereiziger,
I had read about the anonymous OV chipcard, but your advice about putting money on, and difficulty of getting refund at end of trip makes sense, and is helpful.
Cheers from a soon to be Netherlands traveller!
kp1

Reageer