Looking for a driver.

• 12 oktober 2020
  • 21 reacties
  • 1127 Bekeken

Hello. I’m an artist from Portugal and been painting a commission of a train called Apekop. I’ve been doing some research and I found a footage of the last ride from 2016. I saw a interview from the driver called Gerrit van der Steeg. And I ended up making also a portrait of him. I would like to know if you have a contact with him so I could send him the painting. Thanks in Advance. Here’s a photo before finishing. 

I paint mostly portraits of trains if anyone wants to check it ou: Danielgrita(Instagram)

21 reacties

Hi DanielGrita and welcome to the NS Community! 

First off, what a lovely picture! I am a big fan of art and I love what you have created here! Then about your quest. You are trying to look for a specific conductor we have had. We have some staff members here on the community that might be of help to you, but to help the search I have a question. First of, do you might know what station this conductor was working on? Even the area might help me with this search. Would you happen to know this?

Reputatie 7
Badge

First of all, this man is a ticket inspector, in Dutch called Conducteur.

I've sent Sanne a private message to try and help her on her way.

Indeed, I received the private message and I am going to try and see if I can find anything for you! We are expected that he is retired, but I am going to see if I can get in contact with the right station manager and help you get the painting to them!

Badge +3

Nowadays, train manager (used internationally) or simply ‘host’ is a more appropriate term, similar to flight attendant vs. sterward(ess) on airplanes. It's basically the same.

Hopefully, the man in the painting can be found.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

In dit filmpje wordt-ie geïnterviewd (0:45). Moet niet zo moeilijk te vinden zijn, lijkt me.

edit: O wacht, Engelstalig topic. In this video he was interviewed (0:45). Should not be too hard to find him, I think.

Badge +3

Wow ja inderdaad. 2016!

@Danielgrita I also found this article in my (old) bookmarks/favourites https://nieuws.ns.nl/de-mat-64-neemt-afscheid-en-jij-kunt-erbij-zijn

Translated by Google to English it says:

ARNHEM - The Apekop slow {stops everywhere} train, also known as Material '64 (Mat '64), makes its last ride on the Gelderland railway today. The train travels through the Netherlands one more time and stops in Arnhem and Zutphen, among others.
The yellow train with its convex front was a familiar sight on the Dutch railway for more than fifty years. A total of 277 trains of this type have been circulating. The last ones went out of service last spring.

Seven-hour final ride
The final ride goes via Eindhoven, Arnhem and Zwolle to Maliebaan station in Utrecht. On the way, seventy oncoming trains give an honorary salute. The journey is provided by seven drivers and ten conductors who take over during the seven-hour journey. A thousand people had registered for the round of honor at the Dutch Railways, of whom three hundred were chosen.

Gelderland timetable for the last ride:
12:53 - Arrival Arnhem
13:13 - Departure Arnhem
13:41 - Arrival Zutphen

Also, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Y1oYhkSEo (Frank Schaarlo as a name there) and many other videos.

Enjoy! Also see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY06yLRfjio if you have some time to spare and understand Dutch :sweat_smile:

Wow thank you so much! I wasn’t expecting such a quick response but I can see this community is very much alive and helpful! 

Im expecting him also to be retired but I hope he gets the message. I can send to a family member maybe. I didn’t want to go find him directly and be a bit to intrusive. 

Thanks again for your help guys. And hopefully someone can get to him! 

Reputatie 7
Badge

Wow thank you so much! I wasn’t expecting such a quick response but I can see this community is very much alive and helpful! 

Im expecting him also to be retired but I hope he gets the message. I can send to a family member maybe. I didn’t want to go find him directly and be a bit to intrusive. 

Thanks again for your help guys. And hopefully someone can get to him! 

We're working on it! Hopefully it won’t be long, I'm expecting a phone call from his manager before he retired. We'll have her contact Sanne NS and get it sorted.

Espere um poco mais!

Hi Danielgrita! 

As my colleague Edwin already said to you, we are looking into it and we are trying to get in contact with him to get this sorted. This will probably happen during the week. However, I am away till monday! If anything happens, I am sure Edwin will probably update you and I will try and do this as soon as I can as well! Because I love what you have done and want you to get the appreciation you deserve! 

Reputatie 7
Badge

@Danielgrita 

I've spoken to Gerrit and he will contact @Sanne NS through e-mail. 

He was surprised and curious 👍👍

As soon as Sanne is back from her days off, we'll be able to continue this.

For now though, on behalf of my retired colleague: thank you!

Awesome!

Indeed. These news are fantastic! I’m glad we found him and I just need an address so I can send it! 

Im really surprised how quick this community got to find him! Thank you again for all the help!

Reputatie 7
Badge

Hi @Danielgrita !

We're still working on it, Sanne is contacting his former Team manager to figure out what works best. Hopefully she'll have an update for you soon! 

Hi Daniel! 

I am back but without an update yet. I have emailed the former Team Manager today and hopefully will be able to give you an update tonight and otherwise next week! 

No worries. There is no rush!

For everybody reading a long, I am in contact with the teammanager of Gerrit and we are making sure that the painting is getting to him. For this, I have send a private message to Daniel! Hopefully I am back with an update soon! 

For the people reading a long, I am in contact with Daniel via a private message and with a lot more people to get this ball rolling. The good news is, we are getting closer to getting the painting to Gerrit! 

Due to personal circumstances, Sanne has been absent in the past week. As a result, we're unable to give an update this week.

Unfortunately the absence has continued this week as well. It is currently expected Sanne will be able to provide an update in the coming week.

Oh I only say this now. I hope everything is alright with her! Thanks for the update!

Here is the expected update! I spoke with Daniel via a private message and everything is now in the hands of some really nice professionals! I will try to keep updating everything here, but unfortunately, I might not receive these. So I asked Daniel to try and keep me in the loops. 

Reageer