Evening Timetable Amsterdam Lelylaan - Rotterdam Centraal sucks!

• 12 December 2023
  • 12 reacties
  • 373 Bekeken

The evening timetable for the route Amsterdam Lelylaan to Rotterdam Centraal just doesn’t make sense!

From Amsterdam Lelylaan to Schipol Airport 22:12-22:27, then we have to wait for 26 minutes until the train runs from Schipol Airport to Rotterdam Central on 22:53

if I miss this train, congratulations! The train from Amsterdam Lelylaan to Schipol Airport is every 30 minutes, I would catch the 22:51 train to the airport, arriving at 22:58 and wait for almost half an hour for the 23:23 train to run from Schipol Airport to Rotterdam Central.

I am sure whoever does the train networking and timetable management sucks at this job! 

12 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge

At least tomorrow the train leaving Lelylaan at 22:12 is scheduled to arrive at Schiphol at 22:18, not 22:27. This leaves you 6 minutes to chatch the 22:24 (half an hour earlier than you stated) intercity direct to Rotterdam Central, scheduled to arrive there at 22:48. For this train a supplement is required. The alternative without supplement leaves Schiphol only 4 minutes later at 22:28 (still far from 22:53) and gets you to Rotterdam at 23:18 after a transfer in Leiden.

Due to construction work at Schiphol station until December 20 there are temporarily changes in the timetable.

Be aware that this might happen again from to time to time in the coming future as construction work will last until 2027.

Hello Olav93,

I have to admit there was a typo: 22:21-22:27 instead of 22:12 -22:27. The Intercity train schedule you stated was a temporary one, just like Tamzin said. 

I don’t know what you are trying to prove. But what I said is correct at the moment: From Amsterdam Lelylaan to Schipol Airport 22:21- 22:27, then we have to wait for 26 minutes until the train runs from Schipol Airport to Rotterdam Central on 22:53. I think this doesn’t make sense at all since the journey only last 25 mins, give or take.

if the train arrives on 22:27, it is pointless to catch the normal intercity without supplement which starts on 22:28 (it is now from 22:27 under normal schedule)

what you said is perfect transition but it only only happens when there is construction work. Normal schedules are what I have described. And I am right. You can check the schedule yourself, be my guest.

in conclusion: whoever does the train networking and timetable management sucks at this job!

If two trains are running two times per hour, you may encounter a waiting time of 26 minutes. It is impossible to plan a good connection for every train on Schiphol Airport. It is perfectly sensible. 

I often travel between Veenendaal West and Putten, which involves a 34 minute wait at night.

Reputatie 7
Badge

I don’t know what you are trying to prove. But what I said is correct at the moment: From Amsterdam Lelylaan to Schipol Airport 22:21- 22:27, then we have to wait for 26 minutes until the train runs from Schipol Airport to Rotterdam Central on 22:53. I think this doesn’t make sense at all since the journey only last 25 mins, give or take.

Unlike you when you claimed "whoever does the train networking and timetable management sucks at this job", I wasn't trying to prove anything. I was trying to help you as I thought I found a much better option for you than you described. Unfortunately it wasn't of much help in the end as I had not realized there was an altered schedule at the time I tried this out for, partiky due to the fact you mistyped the time too, causing me to see wven more weird differences between what you and I found.

Olav93, Thanks that you were trying to help out but unfortunately this is the reality and of course the NS cannot take care of every passenger. But the route from Sloterdijk to the Schipol airport is a popular one and many people are taking this train. That’s why I try so hard to tell the NS they should better improve their schedules. Instead for 2 trains per hour, they should do 3. 

This is a complaint with personal feelings but I don’t hope you will get offended. 

If two trains are running two times per hour, you may encounter a waiting time of 26 minutes. It is impossible to plan a good connection for every train on Schiphol Airport. It is perfectly sensible. 

I often travel between Veenendaal West and Putten, which involves a 34 minute wait at night.

It’s a shame that you need to wait for more than half an hour to catch the train. But I think the transportation between the randstad cities should be much better than rural areas.

Reputatie 6
Badge

That’s why I try so hard to tell the NS they should better improve their schedules. Instead for 2 trains per hour, they should do 3. 

There are 3 trainers per hour already between Lelylaan and Schiphol in the evening timetable. The Amsterdam - The Hague service twice per hour and the Hoofddorp - Hoorn service once per hour. Therefore, the 26 minute transfer at Schiphol when traveling from Lelylaan to Rotterdam is significantly shorter when traveling half an hour earlier or later. NS indicated that they want to upgrade the Hoofddorp - Hoorn frequency later this year when staff shortages are expected to have reduced. Only then will the transfer time at Schiphol be smaller for the entire evening.

That’s why I try so hard to tell the NS they should better improve their schedules. Instead for 2 trains per hour, they should do 3. 

There are 3 trainers per hour already between Lelylaan and Schiphol in the evening timetable. The Amsterdam - The Hague service twice per hour and the Hoofddorp - Hoorn service once per hour. Therefore, the 26 minute transfer at Schiphol when traveling from Lelylaan to Rotterdam is significantly shorter when traveling half an hour earlier or later. NS indicated that they want to upgrade the Hoofddorp - Hoorn frequency later this year when staff shortages are expected to have reduced. Only then will the transfer time at Schiphol be smaller for the entire evening.

Not entirely true, 22:21,22:51 and 22:59. The distance just doesn’t make sense. In the end, there will be no difference between 22:51 and 22:59 in terms of transfer. 

Reputatie 6
Badge

Yes, there is a difference.

If you take the 22:51 service towards The Hague, you will arrive at Schiphol at 22:58. The connecting IC direct will depart 23:23, making it a 25 minute transfer. If you take the 22:59 service towards Hoofddorp, you will arrive at Schiphol at 23:05, so there is an 18 minute transfer. Although it's not the quickest transfer, it's better than 25 minutes.

Half an hour earlier, you have the 22:21 service towards The Hague only, so there is 25 minute transfer. If NS upgrades the Hoorn-Hoofddorp frequency during the evening to twice per hour (like they intend to do mid 2024 when sufficient staff is available), the 22:28 service is introduced, reducing transfer time at Schiphol from 25 to 18 minutes when you would like to take the 22:53 IC direct.

So yes, the intended increase in frequency of the Hoorn-Hoofddorp service will relieve the problem somewhat. Given the complex timetable between Schiphol and Amsterdam and in the Hemtunnel between Amsterdam and Zaandam, and considering the bridges across various canals between Zaandam, Purmerend and Hoorn (which need sufficient time to open for ships crossing the railway line), there is no option for shifting any of the trains between Lelylaan and Schiphol. A major change in timetable is expected to be implemented by 2025, introducing a high frequency sprinter service between Schiphol and Amsterdam Centraal. Evening frequency will be somewhat lower, but still higher than it is today. In general, transfer times at Schiphol should be no longer than 15 minutes at most during the evening from 2025 onwards.

NS indicated that they want to upgrade the Hoofddorp - Hoorn frequency later this year when staff shortages are expected to have reduced. Only then will the transfer time at Schiphol be smaller for the entire evening.

NS is only planning a frequency upgrade on Saturdays between 6.00 and 20.00 hrs. Not on Sundays and not in the evening.

The same holds for a number of lines around Eindhoven and for the Utrecht-Baarn service.

Reputatie 6
Badge

No, it includes Sundays and most of the evening period, although not up to midnight. Not all hourly services are in scope though. The Hoorn-Hoofddorp service is, just like Baarn-Utrecht, but not all services in Brabant.

Reageer