Skip to main content

I just got an email from the NS that says it's about an "OV-fiets theft report I did two weeks ago" and it's asking me to return the key to a certain address in order to reduce the fine from 350 to 70 euro. Now here's the thing, I never reported a theft of an OV-bike. What should I do in this case? Is it a mistake from their part? Am I the only one experiencing this?

If anything, I only rented an ov fiets once for a few hours, but I'm experiencing a different issue with it, the rental didn't stop due to a system issue and I'm being surcharged for it even though the staff at the station (on the day of the rental) told me everything is fine and I shouldn't worry (he told me there was an information system issue in the entire Netherlands but if I stopped the rental and left the bike in the station everything should be fine). But now the NS wants to direct debit me 195 euros for some reason. But still, that's no bike theft and I didn't report such thing, and the date of that bike rental was not 2 weeks ago. So I'm very confused by this email. Could someone help pls?

Is the only solution to just call the NS ?

Hello @dragonintelligence

What a story. I can imagine very confusing for you. 

At this community travellers try to help other travellers. We can not view each other's data.

So you better try to contact NS Customerservice by calling 030-751 51 55 (24/7 available). You already suggested so.

They can help you with this. 

Thank you very much!

However I'm personally experiencing some issues and I cannot seem to call them. Do you know if there any other alternative to calling? Like a customer service desk?

Or I saw NS linked some social media profiles in their customer service section but do you know if they would be appropriate for this kind of questions? Tysm

Try Chat with NS on https://www.ns.nl/en/customer-service/contact

The correct phone number is +31 30 751 5155

Tell them about the system outage at the bike location, and there is a good chance the bike was rented afterwards (so the reminder is incorrect).

The correct phone number is +31 30 751 5155

@Robert B 

Ehm, just to learn more myself:

What is wrong with the number I wrote? 

However I'm personally experiencing some issues and I cannot seem to call them. Do you know if there any other alternative to calling? Like a customer service desk?

There's no physical customer service desk.

"It doesn't work” is very hard to troubleshoot. What exactly happens when you try to call? If you use the number in international format (+31 ...) then it should always work. It's a regular landline.

@Robert B

What is wrong with the number I wrote? 

Nothing wrong, all good. I just didn’t see the (correct) number in your reply 😅

I mentioned the number because sometimes people search phone numbers on Google and end up paying €$£¥ for some rogue 0900 call forwarding service… 😥

There's no physical customer service desk.

"It doesn't work” is very hard to troubleshoot. What exactly happens when you try to call? If you use the number in international format (+31 ...) then it should always work. It's a regular landline.

Sorry, that's true. I do not understand it myself exactly but my mobile network signal seems to fail exactly every time I call (despite being decent every other time). I don't know if it's an issue with my network provider, or my phone exactly, but yeah I just cannot call the number for these reasons. So that's why I'm wondering if there's any alternative.

Do you think the employees at the parking / OV-fiets rental / bike shop where I rented the bike could help me out? Or is calling customer service the only way? 

Thank you

Sorry, that's true. I do not understand it myself exactly but my mobile network signal seems to fail exactly every time I call (despite being decent every other time). I don't know if it's an issue with my network provider, or my phone exactly, but yeah I just cannot call the number for these reasons. So that's why I'm wondering if there's any alternative.

Do you think the employees at the parking / OV-fiets rental / bike shop where I rented the bike could help me out? Or is calling customer service the only way?

You need customer service to make any progress. You can also try chat:
https://www.ns.nl/en/customer-service/contact

You should probably also contact your phone provider to sort out what's happening when you try to call this number.

Reageer