How to cancel your subscription from abroad | NS Community

How to cancel your subscription from abroad

• 2 September 2015
  • 262 reacties
  • 32570 Bekeken

*Last updated: October 5, 2021*

A regular cancellation of an NS subscription needs to be completed at a ticket machine. When you live abroad, an alternative option is available.

Cancel your OV-chipcard
1. Register here. This registration is in Dutch. Fill in a username, your mail address and a password.
2. Report your card as lost or stolen here. Do not ask for a replacement of the card.

Cancel your subscription
2-3 days after cancellation of the card, please contact NS Customer service via Social Media (Facebook/Twitter), Live Chat or by phone (0031 30 75 15 250). Our Customer Service will then be able to completely cancel NS Flex for you.

Keep in mind that if you received a reminder of payment, you do need to pay the subscription fee. After cancellation, a refund of the remaining months will be transferred.

Extra information
- Lost your card? Please contact OV-chipcard through this page.

262 reacties

Hi Yavuz, your subscription is canceled and you don't have to worry about it anymore. You've just received a confirmation by email.
Hi Yavuz, your subscription is canceled and you don't have to worry about it anymore. You've just received a confirmation by email.
Thanks for the quick response. So, I dont have to do any payment to Synacco or NS, right ?
Thanks for the quick response. So, I dont have to do any payment to Synacco or NS, right ?

No, that's not necessary anymore.
Dear NS Staff,

First of all, I'm sorry if it seemed to be overexplained. It's a bit frustrating.

I registered an account and bought an empty-blank €7,50 Ov-Chipkaart at https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl. Later on I subscribed to Day Advantage product at NS. After I left Europe to Brazil, I contacted NS through email contact form in the ns.nl website and phone calls. I received a confirmation of cancellation by e-mail, see Reference number: 8888628:

Geachte heer ------------ ----------,

Wat jammer dat u uw abonnement wilt beëindigen. Hierbij bevestigen wij de beëindiging van het volgende abonnement:

OV-chipkaart: 35** **** **** ***4

Abonnement en klasse: Dal Voordeel, 2e klas
U heeft beëindigd:
Abonnement en klasse: Dal Voordeel, 2e klas
Te restitueren bedrag: € 0,00
Ingangsdatum beëindiging: 10 oktober 2014

Totaal van de beëindiging:
Totaal te restitueren bedrag: € 0,00

One month later, 10/10/2014, I received a notice I was going to be charged of €50,- (Reference number: 6103249). I called NS and it was instructee me to contact ov-chipkaart.nl and disable the card I was not in Europe anymore.

According to Ov-Chipkaart.nl, I could not cancel my card if I still have any product from any company in it:

Klantenservice OV-chipkaart
Dear Mr. ---------- ----------,

You asked us the following question on 26-08-2014. I understand you want to terminate your OV-chipcard. You can do this as follows:

-If there are travel products on your OV-chipkaart, you will first need to remove these at a public transport company counter.
-Print the 'Termination and credit refund for a personal OV-chipkaart' form.
-Complete the form and send it to the address indicated on the form. N.B.: Don't forget to include your OV-chipkaart.

-If there is more than € 0 credit on your card, this amount will be returned to your Dutch bank account within 30 days. No administration costs will be charged.

You can remove an OV-chipkaart as follows:

-Go to 'My OV-chipkaart(s)'.
-Click 'Manage cards'.
-Choose the option 'I want to remove a card from my account'.
-An overview of the OV-chipkaarts you can remove from your account will appear.
-Select the card you wish to remove.
-Click 'Next' to permanently remove the card from your account.

Remove card

I called NS and it was told me it would only be possible to confirm the termination of my product if I would be in the NL and pass my card in those machines, so it became something like a loop:

1. Couldn't cancel the product because I cannot personally pass my OV in a machine and 2. couldn't cancel the card because I've got a product in it. Almost a paradox...

The card was unbinded from my account at ov-chipkaart.nl (account: silvio.alencar), but...

I received a while ago a quite different looking e-mail from usual advertising ns e-mails, an e-mail from Groenewegen en Partners, dossier: 351553157, which scared out of me.

How may I proceed? Do I have to add it to my account again and report stolen? I fear to add and somewhere it sees my ov-card is linked and take into an account (the time).
Hello,
I reported my card stolen and then directly asked NS staff to stop my subscription but NS still keep sending me letters to ask me to pay. What should I do?
You can contact the customer service to see why your contract is still running. You can use the chat/e-mail form to get in contact.
Brian NS
Thank you for information.
Dear NS

Good morning. I am Youkyoung Kim. I would like to remove a subscription in my ov-chip card so I follow those steps above. I chose "I want to terminate my cards and a credit refund" .Then, I deleted the card in my account. Did I do the thing in proper way? Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Hi Youkyoung, I assume that you blocked the OV-chipcard. If you have a NS subscription on this OV-chipcard please contact our customer service to terminate the subscription. You can do this 4 days after blocking the OV-chipcard. We are 24/7 available by telephone (030 751 51 55) and Twitter (@NS_online).
Sorry but I think I cannot use my phone for one month after I leave the Netherlands. Can I remove my subscription with only twitter ? Twitter(@NS_online) said that I needed to follow those steps above.
So you already had contact with my colleagues on Twitter? After you blocked the OV-chipcard you can terminate the actual subsciption on the OV-chipcard through many ways, but by telephone or Twitter are the fastest ways. Here you will find an overview of ways to contact our customer service.
Are these terms of cancellation valid also for the first year subscription?
Are these terms of cancellation valid also for the first year subscription?

You can't end a continuous subscription earlier than after one full year.
even if I relocate to another Country for job reason?

Sometimes we make an exception in cases like that

The many other people who don't know whether they will work on some location for at least a year, have to keep on buying monthly subscriptions that are more expensive and cumbersome. It wouldn't be fair to them if others are allowed to end their subscription early, while benefiting from lower costs in case they do complete the year.
Absolutely true Pe_pe. That is why we sometimes make an exception and not most of the time. Every case is different and we will examine every case separately.
Hi NS,

I am in the exact same situation. I was in Holland for studying and I got backhome for good.

I got trouble to cancel my subscription and I really want to finish this asap. I contacted NS to cancel my subscription few months before I got backhome. I was assured it's so easy, just make a phone call and that's it. I did so and they asked me to block the card by NS machine and send back the card. It's ridiculous because it's too late, I got backhome to Indonesia for good.

I called several times but I got same answer to block my card. I sent several emails asking favor to cancel my card before next subscription. But the response was too late. I was so disappointed. They were not really helpful.

And no clue, i got email from syncasso asking 90 euros within 5 days (2/3 days from now) otherwise they will bring this case to court? (if google translator is right)

Would you please help me resolve this issue? Thanks in advance..
You really have to cancel your card first (via Twitter @OVchipkaart) and after that is done we can cancel your subscription.
Dear Klaas-Jan, Thanks for your prompt response. I already blocked via twitter yesterday. NS told I need to wait 5 days but it's too late for syncasso. Hopefully they can help me to cancel my subscription soon.
Even if you end your subscription soon, you need to pay Syncasso. You'd better do so before they rise the costs again.
Hi Pe_pe, thanks for your information.

I tried several times to contact them before the deadline. I sent them emails and it took time. They knew the deadline approached but I did not get clear response.
I didn't use the card almost a year, i tried to contact them but no clear response, I sent back the card but no success.. can they re-consider again for syncasso?

thanks Pe_pe..
can they re-consider again for syncasso?

No, but probably i can get you a (partial) refund for your subscription.
You can send me a private message with all the details.
Dear Klaas-Jan NS,

Thank you for your prompt response. Talk soon via private message. Really appreciate this!
Dear NS:
I am not sure whether I should feel glad to know a lot of people are suffering the same issue, but it is certainly a great relief to know help from NS is available.

Regretfully I didn’t pay full attention to the warning e-mails, only with a mild response through an e-mail on the NS website, but to no avail. Now the problem has since escalated, and I believe I am in the same situation as user 3389190: a 90 euros invoice from syncasso within 5 days.

If I understand correctly, I first need to cancel my OV-chipkaart before cancelling the subscription. In a panic, I have used the self service on the ov-chipkaart website (https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/customer-service/self-service/terminating-ovchipkaart.htm) and posted the card to the customer service in Amersfoort this morning, which hopefully should arrive in a week from Asia.

However, I am a bit confused with what to do in follow and any clarification with be truly appreciated:
1) First of all, I assume I have to clear the fine from Syncasso (90 euros) within this five days, before it exponentially get worse. (which I am checking with my bank to see whether international transfer is available)
2) Wait for the e-mail confirmation from the OV-chipkaart customer service (in a week), then try to cancel the NS subscription through another twitter

Sorry for the inconveniences
W_A

Reageer